Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I want to turn my 5.1 comfortline into a beach

N

Northbridge

Vehicle
N/A
Hi.

So I have a T5.1 from 2015 that I want to turn into a Beach model. In the way, that I want to ditch the kitchen part, and add a 3 bench seat/bed part. The reason for this is long and stupid. Long story short: Danish rules for camper cars sucks, and you can't buy a beach in Denmark. I could sell my car, and import (a 10 year old, and with +150k km) from Germany, but it would still cost my ~20.000£ in the end (Denmark!!!)

But can it be done? Have you heard about it before? I have 3 floor rails now. Will that be enough for a beach bench with 3 seats?

Thanks.

You will have a 4th rail under the kitchen etc but I would imagine you would not have all of the interior trim panels which would need to be sourced along with the 3 seat bench. On the plus side, the trimmings of kitchen etc are often on eBay for a lot of money so you should be able to get some money back from doing this. Maybe worth approaching a converter company who may be able to assist with trim from a conversion and buy your interior at the same time. Not sure it’s an amateur job! Good luck.

You could put your California interior on eBay, you see them there more often for ridiculous prices... With that money you should be able to source the Multivan/Beach parts you will need. Look on eBay, take some time, and you may find all the parts you need. You may also decide to go for a completely different conversion, once the Cali kitchen and closets and cupboards are out...

Don't be in a rush, though, have a think, take your time to sell and buy the parts you need (not now, in high season)...

I’d be tempted to contact the campervan place in Amersfoort in NL. It has such a good reputation. I think they would know where closest / local to you can help.

Thanks for all the great advice. I have yet to see or hear someone else though.. I think a conversion company might be the way to go from hear.
I really like the idea about taking my time with the project. But I just the car on a daily basis, and would really like to make it as quick as possible.

Why not simply trade your Ocean for a Beach?

You will have a 4th rail under the kitchen etc but I would imagine you would not have all of the interior trim panels which would need to be sourced along with the 3 seat bench. On the plus side, the trimmings of kitchen etc are often on eBay for a lot of money so you should be able to get some money back from doing this. Maybe worth approaching a converter company who may be able to assist with trim from a conversion and buy your interior at the same time. Not sure it’s an amateur job! Good luck.
I've been thinking about what you wrote in the beginning. Do you mean, that there will actually be a 4th rail under the kitchen? Or do you mean, that I need to get that, as well?

Have you considered having a pop top fitted to a Multivan / Caravelle as an alternative to a beach? Might be easier to find a company with prior experience doing the work.

Have you considered having a pop top fitted to a Multivan / Caravelle as an alternative to a beach? Might be easier to find a company with prior experience doing the work.
It's a tax thing.. the car itself is super expensive in Denmark. The camping interior, actually makes it less expensive, but the camping interior has to meet some specific standards, like having s kitchen that's usable from inside the van, and stuff like that. It's all very tedious to deal with. If I import a beach, I have to fit a kitchen in in, then get it cleared by danish DMV (I guess) who the will add the registration tax, which at this point is blowing in the wind. An example from a fellow camper is that he imported a 10 year old beach with 150k km on it for about 25k£ and after he fitted a kitchen, the danish DMV then set the registration tax to be 15k £. So that's 40k£ for a 10 year old beach with 150k km on it. and the registration tax gets much, much higher with a newer car with lower milage. And I don't want a 10 year old car.

A newer Multivan would cost me at least 50k £ and then add the roof which I guess isn't free either. With limited funds, the 2 things I've got going for me is, that I could sell my T5 for around 35k£ depending on market, or I could go for a conversion.

So that's why I'm asking for tips and experiences on conversions and not about what I could do instead.

I've been thinking about what you wrote in the beginning. Do you mean, that there will actually be a 4th rail under the kitchen? Or do you mean, that I need to get that, as well?
I believe it is there and that is what the kitchen fits to, but this is only based on what I think should be there. Not sure if there is a way to look under the cupboard in the kitchen with a torch and see?

I did look at the video of the production line to see if I can catch a peak but it just shows a bolt being tightened and does not help.

Last edited:
There is a seller on a well known multicoloured auction site selling new Beach interior trim panels , seatbelts etc, they are based in Poland. (egoistvan-com) they have a shop on that site (originalteilevwt5)

here is a stock photo of the four rails used in a Beach, required for the three seater Bench / Bed ( the seat / bed is the same as a U.K. Caravelle or Multivan in Europe).

you will need a full width multiflex board for use with the full width Bed, the multiflex board mounts into the two outer floor rails.

I hope that helps a little

EE9E469B-B3EC-4736-81A4-6A214987836B.jpeg

Here is a post showing the multiflex board and how it attaches

50D0153C-3759-40AF-AFE9-518C409548F5.png

edit the floor rails shown in the last post / photo are from a U.K. spec caravelle the additional centre rails (double ) are to allow a sliding table to be fitted to the U.K. caravelle/ multivan , the Beach has only four rails

edit:

useful post with reference to a conversion company

Last edited:
Back