Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Beach Seating configuration

N

Nathan Thomas

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, (first post) I've been pondering over the T6 brochure, web pages and even emailed my local dealer with a few questions but I'm still getting conflicting or rather a little confusing answers regarding some questions I have. Can any existing T6 owners help?

On the VW website, the standard Beach comes with a "2 seater bench / bed" However there is a no cost option for a "3 seater bench (movable).

Can anyone confirm if both the 2 seater and 3 seater configurations actually fold down in to a bed? Or is the 3 seater simply a bench seat?

If they are both beds, whats the difference? I assume the 2 seater simply has more room down the side for extra storage pods etc?

Also, the electric hook up for the Beach, is this located on the outside of the van I can't see anything from the picutres?

Both versions fold down to make a bed.
3 seat has a small tray under each seat.
2 seat has huge drawer and a large side box(where the 3rd seat would be) with a padded cover that is part of the bed, both versions end up with the same width bed.
The side box on the 2 seat is removable.
The electric hookup is on the left side rearwards of the wheel.

The beds are different. 2 seater is far flatter and better for sleeping on. 3 seater is more shaped and better for sitting on

They are *very* different vehicles in feel and intended use (the 2 seater more for camping, the 3 seater more as a day-van, people carrier, Caravelle with rising roof). Spend a few evenings looking back over the 'Beach' section of the forum (25 pages) and there are many topics especially from James that explain much of this.

Hello Nathan,
Both versions convert into a large double bed. Whilst I have no experience of the two seat bench version, we have a seven seat Beach with the three seat bench. When converted to a bed the three seat bench bed is higher than the bed in the two seater. The mutiflex board is also higher and therefore IMO the space underneath it is more practical. The down side is that you do have less head room with the three seat bench bed however this has never been an issue with us especially if you have the roof up. If you do decide to go for a three seat rear bench version then order the VW Comfort mattress topper. This sits on the rear parcel shelf and folds out to cover the bed. It is a little firm at first but makes the bed very flat and again IMO very comfortable. Here is the mediun length bed option on the three seat bench with the VW Comfort mattress topper. Please also note the wipe clean Comfortz Leisure waterproof cover which IMO is an essential extra on a multipurpose vehicle such as this.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Actually the owners handbook states that there are three separate bed lengths available on the three seat bench. The only version that we use is the medium length seen in these photos. I have no experience of the short version but assume that it is aimed at children. The long version involves leaving the middle row captains svivel seats in place (it fitted). The longer bed is formed by reconfiguring the VW Comfort mattress to lay accross the folded backs of the swivel seats. IMO this option is awkward as you have to leave the swivel seats in the vehicle and there is next to no space left to stand in. Also unless you are very tall I cannot think why you would want the long bad option. I am 5' 11" in old money and the medium length is absolutely fine. You also have a nice area left in which to stand up in and change etc.

I'm 6'1 and the medium setup is a bit short, but I usually just sleep with my head at the back of the van and then my feet can hang off the edge.

I'm 6'1 and the medium setup is a bit short, but I usually just sleep with my head at the back of the van and then my feet can hang off the edge.
Hello Stuart,
Have you used the long layout yet. I would be interested in your thoughts if you have. We have only had our Beach for about six weeks and haven't tried the short or long bed arrangements yet.

I must say that my feet also hang over the edge of the medium bed set up but only if I sleep streched out which I hardly ever do.

We do not usually have the middle row of seats in place and only fit them when required. Therefore we have found the medium bed with VW comfort mattress, a large double sleeping bag and two feather pillows with pillow cases, the ideal set up for us. Very comfortable.

We didnt spec any additional seats so I don't think the long bed setup is an option for us. And even if it was an option I doubt I'd bother as they must take up a lot of space in the van.

If I cared enough I would probably make some kind of multiflex extension but like you say it really is very comfortable already.

We didnt spec any additional seats so I don't think the long bed setup is an option for us. And even if it was an option I doubt I'd bother as they must take up a lot of space in the van.

If I cared enough I would probably make some kind of multiflex extension but like you say it really is very comfortable already.
We bought our Beach as an ex demo with the swivel seats already part of the spec. Whilst we wanted one with these seats in for transporting our hordes of grand children, the first thing that we did after picking it up, was to take them out. We now only put them back in for the occasions that we need them. They are so ruddy heavy that we have since bought a trolley to get them to and from our shed where we store them. They are each a two person job to remove unless you don't mind having a double hernia. Whilst they are extremely useful when you need them, I don't think that we will ever use them as part of the long bed. The medium arrangement is so much more practical both as a bed and for the extra space that remains behind the front seats.

Also that extra space is the perfect size for a travel cot, which saves trying to sleep beside a squirmy baby :)

Awesome, thanks for this.

Choices, choices.

Borris, what seat covers are they?

We borrowed a friend OCEAN last weekend and with the kids constantly clambering up into the roof bed I can see the front seats getting grubby......the seat covers for trips away are a great idea.

Borris, what seat covers are they?

We borrowed a friend OCEAN last weekend and with the kids constantly clambering up into the roof bed I can see the front seats getting grubby......the seat covers for trips away are a great idea.
The seat covers are water proof and made by INKA. They are made in Britain and IMO are a must have with kids and dogs. They are very well designed and are an excellent fit. When they become mucky, you just wipe off with a wet wipe. Also if and when you fancy a spring clean, they are also washable.
You can order them from Nick at Comfortz Leisure. If you haven't used them before you will find them extremely helpful and they provide a very quick and very efficient service.
Telephone 01246 825873
Email - comfortzleisure@aol.com
They advertise on this forum and the above details are a cut and paste from their web site.

Hello Stuart,
Have you used the long layout yet. I would be interested in your thoughts if you have. We have only had our Beach for about six weeks and haven't tried the short or long bed arrangements yet.

I must say that my feet also hang over the edge of the medium bed set up but only if I sleep streched out which I hardly ever do.

We do not usually have the middle row of seats in place and only fit them when required. Therefore we have found the medium bed with VW comfort mattress, a large double sleeping bag and two feather pillows with pillow cases, the ideal set up for us. Very comfortable.
We've tried the long and medium layout and the long layout is very comfortable, whatever your height. However, you're right in that the compromise on space that's left is too much for any kind of practical use. As a result, as much of a pain as it is, I take the middle seats out and we use the mid length, leaving space for clothes, cooler, toilet, etc. Comfort mattress is a must and makes a nice firm bed.

Just make sure you have the comfort mattress the correct way up. The first time I used it I rolled it out in the dark and didn't realise one side is very hard! I was lying there wondering how they could call it a comfort mattress :D

Back