Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID. Buzz. We've done it!

Just a pity electricity now costs a lot to charge it!!!!! Chap opposite me told me it's cheaper at the moment to run his Audi A5 diesel than it is his Tesla!!!! He said only way it equals out at moment is by charging from his solar!!!! Meanwhile we've just bought a 3 year old Golf GT tdi Estate and on run to Tork and back it averaged 73mpg!!

Just a pity electricity now costs a lot to charge it!!!!! Chap opposite me told me it's cheaper at the moment to run his Audi A5 diesel than it is his Tesla!!!! He said only way it equals out at moment is by charging from his solar!!!! Meanwhile we've just bought a 3 year old Golf GT tdi Estate and on run to Tork and back it averaged 73mpg!!
He must be on the wrong tariff (assuming he’s charging at home)? Even on my latest Octopus Go Fast tariff I get 4 hours overnight at 14.4p/kWh. Assuming 3.5 miles/kWh in a Tesla this time of year that would be about 4p/mile. Quick maths for your Golf, 11p/mile. I assume his A5 is less frugal. As others have pointed out, on fuel cost alone the case for an EV varies widely from person to person. Do the maths for your own use case.

The latest seems to indicate swivelling seats and removable rear seats in the longer version. There is so much chatter from Germany but if the seating was like the Multivan it would be perfect.

He's on correct tarrif; I was puzzled but he's looked into all sorts of changes and he runs a business who make F1 steering wheels and other F1 and Rally car electrics so I don't doubt he knows what he's doing. I also know he's jst about to change it and get a Porsche Taycan!!

Odd how people spend £50K+ on a vehicle and winge about a few p/mile running cost but never mention the depreciation per mile which can be up to £1/mile in some cases.

Odd how people spend £50K+ on a vehicle and winge about a few p/mile running cost but never mention the depreciation per mile which can be up to £1/mile in some cases.
Haha, well I spent that on our Coast and i worry about fuel AND depreciation :eek: (Seriously I really do)….. I’m doomed I tell ye….doomed!

What about all the dead children laying on the roadside after you've driven by in your dirty diesel? We've sold the Cali to buy the Buzz, and in so doing pressumably saved countless children's lives in suburbia. How saintly are we?

We're all doomed!!!!

Yes I puzzle about people spending so much and moan about running costs - the Porsche with it's extras is going to be £95k which I find rediculous in this climate....................the only vehicle that hasn't really depreciated is my T5 camper which I paid £20k for 7 years ago and now valued at £23k.......tank of fuel will do roughly 700 miles ...........

What about all the dead children laying on the roadside after you've driven by in your dirty diesel? We've sold the Cali to buy the Buzz, and in so doing pressumably saved countless children's lives in suburbia. How saintly are we?
Some of us can't afford an electric car......................... I also need uninterupted long distance drives and don't want to sit there for 30 mins waiting for a charge let alone find a charge point thats working and at high charge costs.

He's on correct tarrif; I was puzzled but he's looked into all sorts of changes and he runs a business who make F1 steering wheels and other F1 and Rally car electrics so I don't doubt he knows what he's doing. I also know he's jst about to change it and get a Porsche Taycan!!
If he’s charging at home and can manage on a daily mileage of 200miles or so (thereby avoiding public charging), then he should be running around 10% the cost of diesel to charge his EV. That’s my experience of charging my EV v running the Cali (assuming 35/40 mpg).

If you use public charging solely, then the break even cost of diesel v electric is around 60mpg. Plus you’re not having to refuel so often in the diesel/petrol vehicle - but probably still need wee/food stops.

Other savings (at the moment) with an EV are little/no servicing costs, zero VED and zero congested charges and LEZ charges.

Sorry @SusiBus I agree with much of what you often say but that statement is a little inflammatory imho. You have driven diesel right up to the point of acquiring the Buzz…… and if you really believe what you are saying you have sold your old diesel to someone else so that they can kill the children? To answer you question…. not so saintly :eek:

Please forgive me if I sound harsh, I am not seeking an argument but you did lay yourself a little open there.

On a more positive note, how are you liking the Buzz? As you may recall we want one (cancelled our pre order) but it will have to wait until LWB van comes along.

If he’s charging at home and can manage on a daily mileage of 200miles or so (thereby avoiding public charging), then he should be running around 10% the cost of diesel to charge his EV. That’s my experience of charging my EV v running the Cali (assuming 35/40 mpg).

If you use public charging solely, then the break even cost of diesel v electric is around 60mpg. Plus you’re not having to refuel so often in the diesel/petrol vehicle - but probably still need wee/food stops.

Other savings (at the moment) with an EV are little/no servicing costs, zero VED and zero congested charges and LEZ charges.
He travels around the country and abroad a lot so that may be the reason - a 2 year old Tesla dual motor with 38k on the clock!!

With me it's a case of visiting site and doing survey all in the same day wherever it might be as stopping overnight simply adds to time away and cost. i.e. A survey I did near Taunton; left at 5 am drove non-stop and onsite by 10.00am, met builder, survey site, quick bite to eat and home by 6 pm. 576 miles with 1/4 tank diesel left; slept in my own bed with normal day either side. Had it been electric in car I could afford prob range of 250 miles max I'd have had to stop twice for at least 30 mins or more and hoping charger free at service station so won't work for me. If my work was only local then it may be worth while.

I enjoy driving, but when in camper we don't dawdle when enroute to destination such as NW Scotland. On first day we simply drive and normally leave 5 ish to avoid traffic with perhaps a comfort break and leg stretch near York and or Gretna (we're quick and take no more than 10 mins :rolleyes: ) and arrive Faichemard Farm Invergarry (559 miles) around 4 ish (roughly 11 hours). The next day we have a lie in and take our time to final destination such as Port A Bhaigh up near Summer Isles enjoying the drive and scenary.

Hi - am interested in more information on the diverter to immersion heater - what sort do you have and how much was it to install? Thanks
Sorry I've just spotted this..............oops.

My diverter is called an Eddi by My Energi. It didn't cost much at all to instal as it replaces the timer for the immersion heater i.e. sits between the power supply for the immersion heater and the heater itself and wireless communicate to main supply via the Harvi which monitors the system. Add the hub and it's all on your phone.

@Norfolk Jim I'm confused, your pic shows VW but underneath says 'Looking to buy' ?
I have a T5 Leisuredrive Conversion and waiting to buy a Cali - still deciding on what to really spend - do I go T5.1 for around £40k and see how we get on and change later or simply go for it and spend £60k on T6 which will then have to last many years when I'll be retired. Sorry if it's confusing

Had a play on Porche Taycan E 4S online configuration and with a few extras, nothing much really, managed to get a Price of £126,798 from a base £86,500.
Came up with one available for £136,000 in Solihul -- must dash over.
Who said that Cali's were expensive?

Had a play on Porche Taycan E 4S online configuration and with a few extras, nothing much really, managed to get a Price of £126,798 from a base £86,500.
Came up with one available for £136,000 in Solihul -- must dash over.
Who said that Cali's were expensive?
We did smile yesterday as popped out to B&Q and went past the new Norwich Porsche garage and saw 3 electric chargers outside the place. NO electric cars on them but a Suzuki Swift was parked on one of them lol. Made us smile.

I also noted on Porsche info that it's range is well below his Tesla was ...........

I have a T5 Leisuredrive Conversion and waiting to buy a Cali - still deciding on what to really spend - do I go T5.1 for around £40k and see how we get on and change later or simply go for it and spend £60k on T6 which will then have to last many years when I'll be retired. Sorry if it's confusing
Hmmm - despite loving my 6.1, I do see the point of those saying less is more in a camper. Do I neeeeed the upgrades and electronic bells and whistles? Definitely not and though they are interesting and fun to begin with, I wonder if any make the camping experience more enjoyable. Perhaps the upstairs bed is slightly more comfortable, the canvas more durable/blackout, the wardrobe door more robust...but would I pay £20k for these minor improvements? Only if the cash wasn't an issue. I wouldn't stretch for it.

Hmmm - despite loving my 6.1, I do see the point of those saying less is more in a camper. Do I neeeeed the upgrades and electronic bells and whistles? Definitely not and though they are interesting and fun to begin with, I wonder if any make the camping experience more enjoyable. Perhaps the upstairs bed is slightly more comfortable, the canvas more durable/blackout, the wardrobe door more robust...but would I pay £20k for these minor improvements? Only if the cash wasn't an issue. I wouldn't stretch for it.
Thanks for honest reply - my thinking is if it isn't broke then don't fix it so what have VW done better betwen T5.1 and T6??

Back