Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introduction ID Buzz by VW

Jerba still have questions about the ability to convert - particularly as the LWB Cargo won’t be released into the U.K. A lot of work ahead to design and test an ID Buzz camper interior. Still hoping for something bigger on an electric commercial platform …

Last edited:
Herbs still have questions about the ability to convert - particularly as the LWB Cargo won’t be released into the U.K. A lot of work ahead to design and test an ID Buzz camper interior. Still hoping for something bigger on an electric commercial platform …
Well, that’s 9 minutes of my life I’ll never get back…

We don’t know…

Well, that’s 9 minutes of my life I’ll never get back…

We don’t know…
I didn’t know they wouldn’t release the LWB cargo here, or that the Cargo would have rails in the floor able to bolt seats to. Clearly some sort of conversion is possible.
The Caddy California doesn’t have water or a leisure battery - but VW clearly see a market. The Buzz will be a larger base vehicle capable of better, but with the pop top that Jerba suggest they are going to develop.

I didn’t know they wouldn’t release the LWB cargo here, or that the Cargo would have rails in the floor able to bolt seats to. Clearly some sort of conversion is possible.
The Caddy California doesn’t have water or a leisure battery - but VW clearly see a market. The Buzz will be a larger base vehicle capable of better, but with the pop top that Jerba suggest they are going to develop.
It’s all speculation. Let’s face it, off grid camping with leisure batteries backed up by an ICE is marginal. Distance (range) of an EV is marginal. Never the twain shall meet… We’ll see

I thought it was interesting what he said about range when loaded.
It’s all well and good quoting 250 miles on a charge. But is that achieved in an empty vessel…?

I love the styling of the Buzz. I’ve really considered ordering one.
However, Volkswagen have made a serious error with the internal layout. It offers zero flexibility. Why they didn’t have the rear seats on full sliders, captain chairs that spin round and some thought about adding blinds to allow the van to be more adaptable.
It’s a major let down IMO, as much as I love the styling.

It will be interesting to see the price. I imagine it’s gonna be £18k + more than an ID3. Think I’d rather save the extra and run around in one of those…?

It’s all well and good quoting 250 miles on a charge. But is that achieved in an empty vessel…?

However, Volkswagen have made a serious error with the internal layout. It offers zero flexibility. Why they didn’t have the rear seats on full sliders, captain chairs that spin round and some thought about adding blinds to allow the van to be more adaptable.

It will be interesting to see the price. I imagine it’s gonna be £18k + more than an ID3. Think I’d rather save the extra and run around in one of those…?
I have to 100% agree with you. We waited for it to come out and would love to purchase one due to it being electric. But I also can't understand why they didn't go for more of a Caravelle layout. All it needed was the rear seats on sliders and the captains chairs with a pop-up table.

My guess is that they needed to do everything to keep the price down at the moment, whilst EVs are not mainstream.

I have to 100% agree with you. We waited for it to come out and would love to purchase one due to it being electric. But I also can't understand why they didn't go for more of a Caravelle layout. All it needed was the rear seats on sliders and the captains chairs with a pop-up table.

My guess is that they needed to do everything to keep the price down at the moment, whilst EVs are not mainstream.
My guess is that they already have a brand new multivan ;)
Oh and a seven-seater ID Buzz will also arrive, based on the LWB.

My guess is that this will be marketed as a family lifestyle vehicle, rather than a camper-style vehicle. And I suspect any California version will be a mild camper (like the Caddy California). It isn't big enough to go full camper (i.e. furniture down one side), but I don't think that'll stop VW leveraging the California brand.

On that basis the 250 mile quoted range will be plenty, since there won't be a huge amount of weight in it and it is unlikely to be bought by a travelling salesman (the only people who would need to travel 5 hours without stopping).

My guess is that this will be marketed as a family lifestyle vehicle, rather than a camper-style vehicle. And I suspect any California version will be a mild camper (like the Caddy California). It isn't big enough to go full camper (i.e. furniture down one side), but I don't think that'll stop VW leveraging the California brand.

On that basis the 250 mile quoted range will be plenty, since there won't be a huge amount of weight in it and it is unlikely to be bought by a travelling salesman (the only people who would need to travel 5 hours without stopping).

Even as a family lifestyle vehicle, it still comes way short of what the market expects.
In Germany multivans are sold in large numbers and part of the appeal is the flexible interior space.

As for the range, load up with 5 people and some luggage and your talking the best part of 500kg. Heating, aircon and others bits and pieces and the range will drop off a cliff…

Even as a family lifestyle vehicle, it still comes way short of what the market expects.
In Germany multivans are sold in large numbers and part of the appeal is the flexible interior space.

As for the range, load up with 5 people and some luggage and your talking the best part of 500kg. Heating, aircon and others bits and pieces and the range will drop off a cliff…
focus please ;): this was the introduction of the first two short wheelbase versions (5-seater and short Cargo). There are more to come (7-seater, lwb, kinda camper version -california?- and more battery packs). And don't forget the new multivan ‘t7’ that already exists.
If you are afraid of the range, then this ID Buzz is not a vehicle for you, simple as that.
Oh and the yet to make successor of the Transporter (whitch -I think- the real successor to the california will be based on but this is solely my idea on this, so I could be wrong).

Last edited:
focus please ;): this was the introduction of the first two short wheelbase versions (5-seater and short Cargo). There are more to come (7-seater, lwb, kinda camper version -california?- and more battery packs). And don't forget the new multivan ‘t7’ that already exists.
If you are afraid of the range, then this ID Buzz is not a vehicle for you, simple as that.
Oh and the yet to make successor of the Transporter (whitch -I think- the real successor to the california will be based on but this is solely my idea on this, so I could be wrong).
Yes but the given inflexible interior of the 5-seater Buzz, I don’t have high expectations for future models.

Yes but the given inflexible interior of the 5-seater Buzz, I don’t have high expectations for future models.
I don't think this is their objective; did anyone ever say that the ID Buzz should/would be a flexible miracle? I do not think so but apparently it has to be for some. For them, there is the brand new multivan 't7'.
Who knows, there could be a version of the new transporter with an even more incredibly flexible interior :D

Last edited:
That thing, is so unbelievably ugly…!!!
Looks like something from Renault.

That thing, is so unbelievably ugly…!!!
Looks like something from Renault.
well, that's it then. I placed it for you and the others who put flexibility of the interior over the look, I thought :D;)

I don't think this is their objective; did anyone ever say that the ID Buzz should/would be a flexible miracle? I do not think so but apparently it has to be for some. For them, there is the brand new multivan 't7'.
Who knows, there could be a version of the new transporter with an even more incredibly flexible interior :D
I don’t know how you missed it, but the Multivan “T7” isn’t a full electric, and VW itself has stated that it’s a stopgap model that will have a very short run, as it doesn’t fit into VW’s corporate plans for the future. That’s why it reuses a car based platform already in production, and as a result has the same space issues as the Buzz. Not the same market or clientele.

Additional info: VW has already announced that the next Transporter will be a rebadged Transit built in Turkey by Ford starting in 2024. Californitranistan?

Last edited:
According to CarWow, there ‘will’ be a T7 California.. but don’t believe everything you read lol.

I don’t know how you missed it, but the Multivan “T7” isn’t a full electric, and VW itself has stated that it’s a stopgap model that will have a very short run, as it doesn’t fit into VW’s corporate plans for the future. That’s why it reuses a car based platform already in production, and as a result has the same space issues as the Buzz. Not the same market or clientele.

Additional info: VW has already announced that the next Transporter will be a rebadged Transit built in Turkey by Ford starting in 2024. Californitranistan?
Of course I know that; did not miss this at all but showed this for those who want a flexible interior. For that clientele.
No, you have given me no new info about the new transporter, sorry. Guess I’ll have to wait for the introduction :D

According to CarWow, there ‘will’ be a T7 California.. but don’t believe everything you read lol.
No, there won’t. Let’s see what ‘camper’ they’ll make out of the ID Buzz lwb. And out of the new transporter ;)

Of course I know that; did not miss this at all but showed this for those who want a flexible interior. For that clientele.
No, you have given me no new info about the new transporter, sorry. Guess I’ll have to wait for the introduction :D

Not looking for a Volkswagen Sharan…

Point being, the ID Buzz falls short of expectations.
Volkswagen have been working on that vehicle for years and this is what they bring to market…? It’s disappointing and at best nothing more than your average estate car…

Volkswagen have been working on that vehicle for years and this is what they bring to market…? It’s disappointing and at best nothing more than your average estate car…
Maybe that's what it is supposed to be, a funky estate car replacement that's all electric.
After all, most of the estate cars and SUVs are all pretty similar.
A California replacement that will carry 4, sleep 4 and provide the necessary habitation equipment/facilities cannot have the internal dimensions/volume much less than the present Transporter based California.

If it’s just a funky all electric estate car, I think we have all been misled by the marketing and hype. The concept was introduced and has always been displayed alongside the original T2. I thought it was supposed to be it’s spiritual successor, but from what I have seen so far of the actual vehicle, the Buzz is a bit of a letdown. I sincerely hope the future LWB models include some basic features such as swivelling front seats and rear seats on rails. The launch version could have been more versatile in my opinion.

If it’s just a funky all electric estate car, I think we have all been misled by the marketing and hype. The concept was introduced and has always been displayed alongside the original T2. I thought it was supposed to be it’s spiritual successor, but from what I have seen so far of the actual vehicle, the Buzz is a bit of a letdown. I sincerely hope the future LWB models include some basic features such as swivelling front seats and rear seats on rails. The launch version could have been more versatile in my opinion.
But the original T2 wasn't anything to write home about. It was only as it evolved that it really took off.

But the original T2 wasn't anything to write home about. It was only as it evolved that it really took off.
Which is why a good RHD split screen will set you back £50k+ I guess.

Indeed, who is actually waiting for a new Sharan… but wait, isn't the ID Buzz just like you want it exactly what the Sharan was? I am confused o_O
Just kidding, luckily we have different tastes and wishes because otherwise we were all driving the same thing.
Unfortunately for you it is a disappointment but I guess he was meant to be the way he is. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Back