Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introduction ID Buzz by VW

Multi1100

Multi1100

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just seen the WW introduction of the ID Buzz by VW. Interesting thing; it is on the inside space comparable with the current T6.1, which is good news for when they introduce the camper version in 2025. Enjoy the film (they learned a lot from Apple )

Multi1100

Reactions: Sad
Interesting thing; it is on the inside space comparable with the current T6.1,

Multi1100
Not sure thats true based on what I've seen. Head room is definitely lower

Rear Seat belts are attached to C pillar so bench doesn’t slide

Indeed, when you have to appeal to emotions instead of offering technical advances, something is wrong.

Yes all of that driver’s assistance stuff has been available for years if not VW then certainly on other German cars.

That and the lack of rail system for the seats means it’s crossed of my list now. Makes it an easier decision to get a Cali anyway!

And all the smiley faces are just ugghhh. Trying too hard.

Today Ewan is also here because we paid him about (est) 500K.... We wanted to use Will.i.am for a launch in 2014, the base cost was 300K, not including his entourage. We didn't use him.

In this review (posted 18 hrs ago) they say the California version isn't due til 2025 because the diesel Calis are still selling so well.

Also interesting to note the battery is bi-directional, so (if you can stomach the cycle count increase) you can use something like Octopus Agile tariff to shift your home electric consumption to off peak.

I can't imagine the average cap site rural power supply is going to cope with a load of these trickle charging.

I can't imagine the average cap site rural power supply is going to cope with a load of these trickle charging.
At the current rate of delivery I don't think campsite owners will be losing much sleep.

Can't imagine that anyone currently fills up diesel / petrol whilst at a campsite. Why would it be any different for an EV.

Can't imagine that anyone currently fills up diesel / petrol whilst at a campsite. Why would it be any different for an EV.
When driving whole day, stopping many too many times for recharging, you arrive at the campsite in the evening. What will you be doing first, cooking your meal, installing everything, and then uninstalling everything again for at least 1 hour of fast charging before going to bed?
Or will you first get to a fast charging point for at least 1 hour, then drive to the campsite?

That is not yet the way I want to go on holidays.

Just seen the WW introduction of the ID Buzz by VW. Interesting thing; it is on the inside space comparable with the current T6.1, which is good news for when they introduce the camper version in 2025. Enjoy the film (they learned a lot from Apple )

Multi1100
Look at how far back the front row is from the front bumper. That's because it's the same MEB platform as the other cars in the I.D. range, with a false double A pillar nose stuck on over the front wheels to make it look like a van (just imagine the windshield were where the front door frame meets the body, and the long hood that would result). It may have almost as much total interior space as a T6, but a lot of that is useless space over the deep instrument panel and ahead of the front seats. Usable space behind the first row is lacking, which would make a California cramped. A long wheel base version would get you the same camper space as today's short wheelbase T6, but with a length penalty for parking. We've see this design sleight of hand before on the new Multivan.

To top it off, it's wider than a T6, but with less usable room. Not the revived "icon" that VW is claiming, but its electric car platform disguised as a van, without a van's efficient use of space. Truly disappointing.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 6.25.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Just watched the video and I'm out. Standard suv type interior wrapped in a different body. Rear seats are hopeless for 3, like most suvs. I feel it would seem a little claustrophobic compared to a t5/6.

Just watched the video and I'm out. Standard suv type interior wrapped in a different body. Rear seats are hopeless for 3, like most suvs. I feel it would seem a little claustrophobic compared to a t5/6.
Did you see this pic of the "double" front passenger seat in the Buzz Cargo?

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 2.39.18 AM.png

Hahaha. Can you imagine 3 burly workers sitting in that

Rear seat is disappointing on not having the three dedicated seats like the Multivan, or like the Touran (for which the ID Buzz had been cited previously as the successor).

This makes the Buzz a bit of a non-starter for families with 3 children requiring 3 Isofix. Poor show VW.

Also, the distance between the front seats looks closer than the T6. Would have been nicer if it was slightly more generous. Along with a fixed 2+1 rear bench, it does look a little disappointing.

Rear seat is disappointing on not having the three dedicated seats like the Multivan, or like the Touran (for which the ID Buzz had been cited previously as the successor).

This makes the Buzz a bit of a non-starter for families with 3 children requiring 3 Isofix. Poor show VW.
Having 3 kids myself, I’m surprised that manufacturers of larger cars don’t offer the option to specify a rear seat that is more suitable for 3 people. We had an old Touran and although the rear seats were quite tight, they were a lot better than most cars available today. The seats in the new Multvan don’t look any wider.

Looks great, but nowhere near as flexible as the current vehicles for carrying people with sports equipment etc. less flexible seating a disappointment. I’m sure that will all come eventually but for now its going to appeal to wealthy families with a few kids for the school run, especially around London where it will avoid the congestion charge.

it seems like a really nice MPV rather than a Caravelle replacement.

Personally I’ll wait 5 years or so.

Also, the distance between the front seats looks closer than the T6. Would have been nicer if it was slightly more generous. Along with a fixed 2+1 rear bench, it does look a little disappointing.
The bizarre thing is that while much narrower on the inside, it's wider outside than a T6.

Any future California would be based on the Cargo version that is slightly taller. Of course its Achilles heel may well be the range, although battery tech will probably advance by the time VW eventually launch it!

Back