Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

Just been to our dealers. Asked if they could access the BUZZ configurator for me. Guess what, they couldn't. Little inept had had more success than them. What they did say is the order book was going live on Wednesday 13th July to place spec'd orders. Now don't you think if this is so, the configurator should be up and running, and as l'v placed a pre- order for a BUZZ, the dealer should have informed me, so that l could get my act together. VW dealers !

The Buzz will be a premium product for a few years after launch but I feel VW will get there on range and weight to make a legit California in 3-5 years. In Sweden already you could probably manage on the Tesla open SC network and other public fast chargers, but it could work as day van / beach rather than an interloper. It will need stretching, it will need vehicle to device, it will need 21st century services wrapping around it using Apps to deliver continuous improvements.

I'm running both a Cali and Tesla M3 together and while you can hardly compare the two, I actually feel like a Tesla MY would be a better camping experience in summer (flat seats and hatchback) in camping mode over the Cali.

I feel the driving experience of the Cali is so bad it actually detracts from the camping experience, and most of this isn't on VW, it's just the fact that our daily is of our time, and by the time we do start camping I'm usually just fed up of it (thankfully the 4 year old isn't), 20 years in service soon and it feels every year of it.

I cannot wait for the EV Cali and glad the buzz is going back to being minimalist too.

Last edited:
Just been to our dealers. Asked if they could access the BUZZ configurator for me. Guess what, they couldn't. Little inept had had more success than them. What they did say is the order book was going live on Wednesday 13th July to place spec'd orders. Now don't you think if this is so, the configurator should be up and running, and as l'v placed a pre- order for a BUZZ, the dealer should have informed me, so that l could get my act together. VW dealers !

To be fair, if you spec the first edition, there’s not a lot of options anyway.
Colour is an important one for me. I’ve also added towbar and 230v socket.

After the excitement of putting the £2k deposit up front I (we) have had time to consider the consequences and will now cancel the pre order. We had optimistically (and perhaps naively) thought we could make it work as a mini camper for the two of us but in reality it will probably prove to be a step to far. The Buzz Cargo might be the better option so we can convert one to suit our needs. Ah well…… just have to wait a while longer……….:confused:

I can't get any info from my dealer other than he THINKS that orders will start to be taken from tomorrow 13th July.

Has anyone heard anything about placing orders?

I can't get any info from my dealer other than he THINKS that orders will start to be taken from tomorrow 13th July.

I would be more concerned about delivery dates. You might be better off keeping the £2k in the bank; Headline quote on the configurator:

1657617874073.png

Orders commence tomorrow.
They can’t do anything, until things go live.
As for £2k in the bank, it makes nothing and if you pull the deposit now, who knows when you’ll actually be able to buy one being back of the queue. It’s the same with Tesla. Order now, delivery possibly April 23….

Last edited:
Just thinking I want to establish my position at front of the queue because you can cancel up to last minute.

Forgive me but I don't understand all the hype over the ID Buzz. Is it not just another new EV in a pretty vintage dress?

From my viewpoint as a VW California Forum member it doesn't even represent a potential replacement for the current Cali in any form. As for VW asking £2000 just for an advanced "slot" well that's just a crude attempt on their part to generate a sales feeding frenzy. "Only one per household", really! It's a good job they've said that otherwise it might have led to panic buying!

Yes it's pretty I'll grant you but initial versions, like most other EVs, will only have 5 seats and are bound to come with the usual host of new model teething problems for their eager new owners to complain about. Better to wait several years for customer RnD work to find it's way onto the production line. By that time the range of variants, options and alternatives will have improved.

I actually feel like a Tesla MY would be a better camping experience in summer (flat seats and hatchback) in camping mode over the Cali.

I feel the driving experience of the Cali is so bad it actually detracts from the camping experience
I'm sure the Model Y is a better driving experience than a T5 Cali (any Cali) but it doesn't have 2 double beds, a fridge, a hob, a sink, a wardrobe, awning, 2 tables and two outdoor chairs, and space for many gubbins etc.
How could it possibly be a better camping experience?

Forgive me but I don't understand all the hype over the ID Buzz. Is it not just another new EV in a pretty vintage dress?

From my viewpoint as a VW California Forum member it doesn't even represent a potential replacement for the current Cali in any form. As for VW asking £2000 just for an advanced "slot" well that's just a crude attempt on their part to generate a sales feeding frenzy. "Only one per household", really! It's a good job they've said that otherwise it might have led to panic buying!

Yes it's pretty I'll grant you but initial versions, like most other EVs, will only have 5 seats and are bound to come with the usual host of new model teething problems for their eager new owners to complain about. Better to wait several years for customer RnD work to find it's way onto the production line. By that time the range of variants, options and alternatives will have improved.

If you waited for Volkswagen to get it right, you would never buy one, alas, roof corrosion, egr valves destroying engines or crank case oil seal failures. Let’s be honest, the latest van has had 15 years evolution and it’s still a bit of a turkey…

I'm sure the Model Y is a better driving experience than a T5 Cali (any Cali) but it doesn't have 2 double beds, a fridge, a hob, a sink, a wardrobe, awning, 2 tables and two outdoor chairs, and space for many gubbins etc.
How could it possibly be a better camping experience?
Well in camping mode it has a double bed, superb climate control (ideal for summer) and of course the cooking gets done outside, you'd be surprised what can fit in the spaces when the bed is set up, frunk too.

Winter is a different story of course, this is a bit tongue and cheek too :D

If you waited for Volkswagen to get it right, you would never buy one, alas, roof corrosion, egr valves destroying engines or crank case oil seal failures. Let’s be honest, the latest van has had 15 years evolution and it’s still a bit of a turkey…
I agree, VWs track record on resolving long standing issues is abysmal. It seems that once they've put a new design into production the customer is often stuck with the issues that this new design presents or at least until a safety recall is announced and the revised item is retrofitted or an upgraded version is launched. Even when model upgrades come out the same issues are often present e.g the aforementioned long standing roof corrosion issue.

However the ID Buzz isn't an upgrade but a brand new design in every respect. My worries would be:

1. What teething problems will this new design present? All new designs have issues and the ID Buzz is unlikely to be the exception.
2. Will VW and more importantly their dealership network be ready for this new model with properly trained and equipped technicians to resolve any issues that occure? VW dealerships have a very patchy record with sorting issues out on the current ICE fleet. Look no further than the Grand California as a great example. Even Tesla has issues in this respect. Apparently only they can fix issues at vast expense and often after long delays.

Handing over £80k+ for a vehicle is a lot to ponder but in the case of the ID Buzz there are still too many unknowns. So for the time being, it's just too early to tell if it's a real game changer or just the latest all electric VW plug in "turkey"?

Well in camping mode it has a double bed, superb climate control (ideal for summer) and of course the cooking gets done outside, you'd be surprised what can fit in the spaces when the bed is set up, frunk too.

Winter is a different story of course, this is a bit tongue and cheek too :D
Wow, I didn't know the MY has a double bed!

View attachment 96124

Might struggle with the kitchen though!
I see @RodCouncil's tongue-in-cheek point now though. It would be feasible to have a plug in fridge on the front seat whilst sleeping, and outdoor cooking gear outside in a small tent.
From £57,000 though, I know I'd much rather camp in a California.

I see @RodCouncil's tongue-in-cheek point now though. It would be feasible to have a plug in fridge on the front seat whilst sleeping, and outdoor cooking gear outside in a small tent.
From £57,000 though, I know I'd much rather camp in a California.
Just ordered a Buzz First Edition with all options except tow bar. Can't believe that VW consider a jack to be a £90 option. Total price £65,485. Must be mad, but at 77 haven’t got much more time to spend the kids' inheritance. If it turns out to be a turkey, we will be presenting ourselves at Milton Keynes as we did with the California to sort our the roof corrosion many years ago.

Just ordered a Buzz First Edition with all options except tow bar. Can't believe that VW consider a jack to be a £90 option. Total price £65,485. Must be mad, but at 77 haven’t got much more time to spend the kids' inheritance. If it turns out to be a turkey, we will be presenting ourselves at Milton Keynes as we did with the California to sort our the roof corrosion many years ago.
Not much point in having a jack, as it doesn't have a spare wheel

//
EcoContact 6 Q tyres for the VW ID. Buzz feature ContiSeal technology, and thus in many cases can be driven on even when damaged. ContiSeal securely seals holes up to five millimetres in diameter, immediately rectifying around 80 per cent of punctures. This means the ID. Buzz doesn’t come with a spare tyre, saving weight and in turn increasing range.
//

Love the look of it but agree with all you’ve said.

Well done for actually jumping. It crossed my mind to order one for the resale value, but I haven't got the energy. Hope it all works out for you

Not much point in having a jack, as it doesn't have a spare wheel

//
EcoContact 6 Q tyres for the VW ID. Buzz feature ContiSeal technology, and thus in many cases can be driven on even when damaged. ContiSeal securely seals holes up to five millimetres in diameter, immediately rectifying around 80 per cent of punctures. This means the ID. Buzz doesn’t come with a spare tyre, saving weight and in turn increasing range.
//

I'm surprised wheels are standard, and not an option :shocked

Whilst not one myself, we need the early adopters of new products / technologies, as otherwise the world economy & development would slow down considerably.
Its good that we’re all different, as otherwise the world would be a very boring place.

Back