Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

My neighbour has a Campster. She let me have a good look at it when I was looking to get a camper. The California is much better designed, with much better use of space. I pretty much ruled the campster out. Never told her that mind you :D

If the choice was between a Campster or a T7 California, I'd seriously look into a Marco Polo :)
I don’t know how you could make a decision on the T7 Cali without looking or driving a physical Cali ?
Have you driven a Marco Polo ?

My neighbour has a Campster. She let me have a good look at it when I was looking to get a camper. The California is much better designed, with much better use of space. I pretty much ruled the campster out. Never told her that mind you :D

If the choice was between a Campster or a T7 California, I'd seriously look into a Marco Polo :)

Marco Polo….the horror…
When you consider the price of a Campster compared to the California. It’s massive chunk cheaper.

Marco Polo….the horror…
When you consider the price of a Campster compared to the California. It’s massive chunk cheaper.
It is, but after looking at it, I concluded there's a reason. Go have a look at one. To me it felt like a nicely finished but cheap conversion, with not very clever use of space. It's been almost three years since I had a look at it, so I don't remember specifics, but IIRC it used MDF panels (not thin alu panels like the Cali) and there was no storage under the bench seat. And tiny water tanks, and tiny fridge.

For me the lack of 4wd option was already a big downside. Was prepared to consider it based on cost, but after looking at it... nope. I actually asked my neighbour if there is something she wishes she had on her camper, and it took her all of three milliseconds to say "four wheel drive"

Marco Polo….the horror…
You pay for what you get. That Campster is certainnly lacking in the F&F and quality of materials. I can only imagine the value retention vs a Cali.

The Marco polo depreciates very fast, especially when you consider the new Vito could be a Renault kangoo/citan underneath. If you have that much I would look at a 4wd sprinter from hymer

Yes, I would certainly try to make that work as an alternative to the Cali.
I can but dream.
Just haven’t got £120k to splash, for another 7 years at least !

That's what I thought but you cannot take it with you, and I want to know (and remember) where it went!
So true. After the year we’ve had, I’ve got a slightly different plan of action but one that’s a good plan !

Noise? Drrrrrrroooooooooonnnnnnnnnniiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg

Noise? Drrrrrrroooooooooonnnnnnnnnniiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg
Interesting, we had one for a day, thought it was really quiet on a variety of roads and speeds.

Crumbs....the one I drove droned at 30mph and only got quieter when I took it down the M27 and wind noise provided some relief at 70mph....

Even the Salesperson confessed and said he was surprised how much noisy it was compared to his normal ID4 drive.

Crumbs....the one I drove droned at 30mph and only got quieter when I took it down the M27 and wind noise provided some relief at 70mph....

Even the Salesperson confessed and said he was surprised how much noisy it was compared to his normal ID4 drive.
I can see why it would put you off.

That was my verdict too. But PJM has put me well off.
Maybe it was uneven tyre wear?
Still, not sure I can give up the touring for a buzz. Although, still pine for another compact bus.
Interesting, we had one for a day, thought it was really quiet on a variety of roads and speeds.

Still, not sure I can give up the touring for a buzz. Although, still pine for another compact bus.
Compact Bus, T7 Coast ?
My fear now when #3 grandkid pops out soon is I’ll maybe need to take all 3 grandkids away.

Where’s the wife going to sit ?

And if we have a #4
What campervan seats 6 people ?
Bit of a dilemma !
I think the coast seats 6, and all I’ll need is a dometic fridge.
By that won’t be for another 7 years yet.

I may have had a bad Buzz and I did check tyre wear but at 4400miles they were still like new. Ironically VW sent me a survey request yesterday about the ID Buzz and some of the questions were interesting and tailored based on the EV market.

Just had the drone on my Volvo for tyre wear....all cured with a set of CC and wow what a difference.

I saw one yesterday with a cracking number plate:

OK 1BUZZ

I thought it odd but then again the T-Roc was noisy. Drove my Volvo back along the same road and all fine, took the Cali out this afternoon and again all fine. The BMW is just bliss so you can't compare. Did Google the Conti 6 tyres and they are suppose to be quiet. Checked the windows to make sure they were closed. No change. Most reviews say it's quiet, whilst some note some road noise as an against item......it may be pot luck in the build quality
I’m just picking up on this thread, as we’re currently in early stage planning to renew our car - an XC40; and we’ve got our eyes on the ID Buzz!! From what you’re saying it’s maybe not such a great plan. I hate driving noises of all types, and one reason we ended up moving from and X3 to the Volvo.

I’m just picking up on this thread, as we’re currently in early stage planning to renew our car - an XC40; and we’ve got our eyes on the ID Buzz!! From what you’re saying it’s maybe not such a great plan. I hate driving noises of all types, and one reason we ended up moving from and X3 to the Volvo.
I drove one when my van was in for service..... I loved it so much that I really did not want to give it back! It was quiet, fast, and an absolute delight to drive. I think pjm just had a bad experience. If I were you I would seek out a good used one as prices have plummeted. Your only issue will be comparing it the the Ocean! (it doesn't! it's much nicer to drive!).

It could have been a bad one but it just didnt work for me. Wife also found it noisy and the dealer, who drove it home the night before, confirmed that he found it noisy compared to his normal drive (car swap around by the sales staff so that we could have the test drive first thing on the Saturday). Maybe I was expecting more. Typically and historically, if we like a car, we stop for a coffee, and reset the test drive. Two ticks and its a done deal! The Buzz was out, you can drive back, finished.

Oddly we changed our company ID3 for an XC40.

7.13min for noise review.

Test drive one and see how you get on. For me it was a no

My problem with this design is that it’s a long nose car based ID3 platform with a false nose stuck on top of the hood, which begins at the front of the window frame of the driver’s door. Just look at the distance from the front bumper to the front seat. We have vans for a reason: space efficiency. If we didn’t care about that, there are lots of SUVs that share the same limited interior space compared with overall length. I recognize that VW is trying to save money by basing the Buzz and Multivan on car platforms and farming out the production of the new Transporter to a rebadged Transit made by Ford in Turkey in order to pay the fines of the diesel scandal, but just how stupid do they think we are? Expecting us to accept a double A pillar over the hood of a car chassis that obstructs forward vision, all to make it look like a “van” is insulting to those of us who have made VW vans iconic for over 50 years.IMG_0173.jpeg

Last edited:
Back