Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ideas to keep warm?

Claire

Claire

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My children and I are finding it a bit cold now and wondered if anyone has any tips on how to keep warm when the temperature drops at night? Thanks!

goodness,

I always have a fleece with me and if I'm cold with a fleece then on goes the heater.

We're obviously not very hardy! Don't really want to turn on the heater at 3am!

It's what the remote is for!

Pure decadence, snuggled up in the duvet and just an arm out of the covers ...

Yep sleep with the heater set to 1 all night ..... Lush

A windscreen cover will prevent condensation on the inside of the front window but adds little additional insulation.

We were tempted to use balaclavas when it was -6 outside. :eek:

A roof cover such as a Mutze does help as it stops the down draft from the two ventilation holes at the top of the canvas and acts like a fly sheet on a tent.

A windscreen cover will prevent condensation on the inside of the front window but adds little additional insulation.

We were tempted to use balaclavas when it was -6 outside. :eek:

A roof cover such as a Mutze does help as it stops the down draft from the two ventilation holes at the top of the canvas and acts like a fly sheet on a tent.
Is the Mutze better than the Cali Topper? There's only me to put it on so don't want to struggle

We have a Mutze but I think they would be the same to put on as a Cali Topper. That's the fiddly bit and it helps to have two people as you have to get the corners located on a part raised roof. If it's windy it provides plenty of entertainment for other campers - but I'm sure you would get assistance.

Taking it off is easier and I tend to do that on my own.

Sleeping in the pop-top is cooler than downstairs but eitherway in wintertimes or on cold nights we usually leave the heater on a low 1 or 2 setting . Turning it up by morning .
Use a sleepingbag witch i think keeps you warmer than a blanket.
A topper also keeps heat more in the vehicle and moist out , altough ventilation is a must , breathing in a small space with two or more people (or dogs for many of us) gives damp so ventilate even when the heater is on. Would not worry to much on CO detectors IF you ventilate enough they are useless ( my opinion) , other debates on CO detectors esle on the forum!

If you leave the heather on tru the night you will hear the sound of the pump ( ticking) and the ventilation fan once the heather turns on.
I just reach to the central control panel from in the top bed and switch the heater on/off at night , you don't have to come down , i don't ever use the timer ore the remote....

Only the wife and I use our Westie. When really cold the roof comes down and stays down over night, makes a huge difference.

We always sleep 'down stairs'. What has struck me is the number of T5 Cali owners who sleep upstairs.

I am naturally a warm person, and the wife cold hearted lol. As a result we have separate sleeping bags.

I bought her a Sea to Summit Sleeping Bag Liner AREACTOR Reactor Thermolite, and she absolutely loves it.

Sleeping in the pop-top is cooler than downstairs but eitherway in wintertimes or on cold nights we usually leave the heater on a low 1 or 2 setting . Turning it up by morning .
Use a sleepingbag witch i think keeps you warmer than a blanket.
A topper also keeps heat more in the vehicle and moist out , altough ventilation is a must , breathing in a small space with two or more people (or dogs for many of us) gives damp so ventilate even when the heater is on. Would not worry to much on CO detectors IF you ventilate enough they are useless ( my opinion) , other debates on CO detectors esle on the forum!

If you leave the heather on tru the night you will hear the sound of the pump ( ticking) and the ventilation fan once the heather turns on.
I just reach to the central control panel from in the top bed and switch the heater on/off at night , you don't have to come down , i don't ever use the timer ore the remote....
Great stuff - all very helpful, thank you!

Only the wife and I use our Westie. When really cold the roof comes down and stays down over night, makes a huge difference.

We always sleep 'down stairs'. What has struck me is the number of T5 Cali owners who sleep upstairs.

I am naturally a warm person, and the wife cold hearted lol. As a result we have separate sleeping bags.

I bought her a Sea to Summit Sleeping Bag Liner AREACTOR Reactor Thermolite, and she absolutely loves it.
I agree that it is colder upstairs but there's not room for 3 of us downstairs (me + 2 kids)!

There is the internal topper thingy which stays in all the time. It is expensive but so is the van. When on hook up some have used little oil filled radiator. Make sure your sleeping bags are good quality 3 or 4 season bags. Also a good pair of thermal fluffy socks are a must. I do sleep in my fleece if cold and we also keep furry hot water bottle animals to use too. A hot chocolate before bed. Some have used electric blankets but need to watch the wattage. If I wake at 4am I blast the heater for 5 Minutes for a quick boost but we have camped every month of the year. Hope that helps.
Zebedee
Ps I have Mutze it is a pain, I too am a mum on my own. I do need a stepstool to help me get it on. We have not used it much as a result.

You could use a windscreen external cover they make quite a lot of difference ours is a Taylormade or a decent sleeping bag and hat.

I can recommend the Comfortz cali topper, we also use a small low wattage oil filled radiator when it's cold and hooked up to the mains. This keeps it warmer and doesn't make any noise or use diesel fuel.

Thermal underwear and a bobble hat, and as said earlier if it is very cold sleep in a fleece. You can always take it off when you warm up.
A good quality sleeping bag, (I would recommend a down one) is also a must imho.

Diesel Heater set on Level 1 or 2. Pretty quiet in operation, and you could always wear earplugs. But to be really honest I don't notice it at all.
That is why the SE is built with the heater.
Beware though, you do need ventilation, not because of the Diesel Heater, but because of, in your case, 3 people sleeping in a confined space. Carbon Dioxide build up is of more importance than Carbon Monoxide but easily dealt with by good ventilation.

I've used an insulated outside screen for years it's does the job for me. With wind deflectors fitted also means you can crack the windows too. Then as others have said heater on all night.

We do the same as Larrylamb; Comfortz topper and mini oil filled radiator between front seats if on hook-up. We also have a Silverscreen external cover which I'm sure makes a big difference.
The heater goes on as required. We use 12.5 tog duvets (sleeping bags are for camping) and have done winter trips in Europe and been perfectly comfortable.
CO alarm a must have for peace of mind.

Coleman do very good kids sleeping bags. http://www.coleman.eu/UK/p-26322-salida-mummy-kids.aspx My kids (5&7) have them and don't feel the cold. I spent ages researching these and these were the only ones I found that could go sub zero(-17'c). I splashed out on a couple of Rab ones for my wife and I which are brilliant (I've wild camped in mine ... Not in the van ... and wasn't cold) but a bit pricey. But then compared to what you pay for the van it's worth it so you can camp all year around. The Rab ones pack down to a very small size too. We also have a couple of fleece blankets. One for us and one for the kids.

You can also get sleeping bag liners if you really suffer from the cold. Mountain Warehouse sell these for not very much.

We also got one of these bambino radiators. Which are great on hook up. Very quiet.

An external screen cover can also help.
http://www.justkampers.com/external-thermoscreen-silver-for-vw-t5-2003-2015.html

Or just cuddle the dog!

Always carry a small oil filled radiator, keeps the Cali warm and if the temp is cold at night we have a fleece which is an heated over blanket. Don't let the cold stop you camping...

We don't use the heater overnight and have slept up top in temperatures of -5. We use a Mutze topper which makes a big difference, although not easy to put on single handed. Mr A has done it but he is taller than me. We have a goose down duvet and use a woollen blanket over the top if it's really cold. I use a child sized hot water bottle too. The only part of me that gets cold is the top of my head which I find weirdly comforting as it reminds me of being in bed as a kid before we had central heating.

Back