Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ideas to keep warm?

We just have am enormously thick duvet and sleep up top. We've camped in snow and been ok - except for my nose! Can't think what to do about that!?

Thanks! What about a windscreen cover - does that make a difference?

I have an insulated screen from Comfortz. Less faffing around than the internal one that holds itself on with magnets, warmer, no condensation and more black-out. The only time that I do not use it is when wild camping.

I use the heater freely, it is very economical for the heat it kicks out, but as above, always with a CO detector.

It's a thing of mine but I do need ventilation if using the heater. I would rather get up in warmth and a bit of a draught than warmth and a stuffy van dripping with condensation.

Thinking of sleeping bags for the little ones. I bought my mini me a jack wolf skin grow bag that he is just growing out of now. It has a section that you unzip at the bottom as he got taller but when zipped up it has a big foot toasty that eliminates cold spots he was never cold in it and that was in a van without heating.

IanE you can buy those nose/face warmers from Mountain Warehouse, the wife is getting one as she gets a cold nose and ears.

The Delonghi Bambino 500 can be bought for £39.99 Inc delivery on eBay. Just bought one, fed up with the noise of our electric fan heater.

Our Westie is one of the few that doesn't have an eberspacher air heater. I've picked up a D3LP, and all the gubbins, tested it by using the 7day timer that was in the van for the water heater. Just looking to get someone to install it as I'm too stiff from arthritis to be crawling under the van. If only I had an inspection pit, we have a few potholes in Cardiff, but they are not deep enough.

[QUOTE=" What has struck me is the number of T5 Cali owners who sleep upstairs.

[/QUOTE]

I know, odd bunch aren't they ;). Downstairs, nice warm duvet. Hot water bottle/GF. Cosy as.

Comfort windscreen cover
Comfort topper
5 season sleeping bag
bars of chocolate
Heater on if you've got an cali SE
Jack Daniels
Warm meal on an evening

If all that doesn't do it , winter nights in the cali aren't for you

I sill worry about having the heater on with the awning and sides out (after our last drama!). So - with the side door closed but the awning out would you use the heater overnight?

Definitely yes. Even a 2 Litre Diesel engine puts out very little Carbon Monoxide at full throttle. In fact in the California you are much more likely to get Carbon Monoxide poisoning from using the Gas Burners with inadequate ventilation than you are ever likely to from the Diesel Heater. You might smell some Diesel fumes if the wind is in the wrong direction and you have the side door open but Carbon Monoxide, No.

Look up the exhaust gases produced when burning Diesel.

I have a CO alarm, not for the heater but the Gas Burners. Very dangerous first thing in the morning after sleeping overnight with poor ventilation. The interior then has High Carbon Dioxide and Low Oxygen levels, perfect scenario for Carbon Monoxide from poor gas combustion.

Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation should be the Mantra.

Then you can use Thick Duvets, Sleeping Bags, Electric Heaters or the Diesel Heater. NEVER the Gas Burners.

Yup mini oil filled radiators on hookup for us too, although if its really cold then you may need two ;). We had a trip away once and it was very cold, the radiators add about 10-12c to the temp, so in our case, it brought it upto about 10c. Better than -2 though.

Be aware that if like us you find yourself snowed in and the power goes out, as we did in the attached video you won't have anything so be prepared. Cali's with the heaters in are great, wish we had one.

Oh and I've tested CO alarms and a gas heater in a campervan, only took 30 mins to trigger, food for thought.

I see so many who use gas heaters in their vans, and claim its safe, they've always done so. Unfortunately they're unlikely to ever realise how wrong they were if it goes wrong.

There is the internal topper thingy which stays in all the time. It is expensive but so is the van. When on hook up some have used little oil filled radiator. Make sure your sleeping bags are good quality 3 or 4 season bags. Also a good pair of thermal fluffy socks are a must. I do sleep in my fleece if cold and we also keep furry hot water bottle animals to use too. A hot chocolate before bed. Some have used electric blankets but need to watch the wattage. If I wake at 4am I blast the heater for 5 Minutes for a quick boost but we have camped every month of the year. Hope that helps.
Zebedee
Ps I have Mutze it is a pain, I too am a mum on my own. I do need a stepstool to help me get it on. We have not used it much as a result.
Thanks Zebedee! Glad to hear I am not the only person to need a stepstool! I have to use one to get the bikes on and off the bike rack!!

You could use a windscreen external cover they make quite a lot of difference ours is a Taylormade or a decent sleeping bag and hat.
I'll try one, thanks!

Yup mini oil filled radiators on hookup for us too, although if its really cold then you may need two ;). We had a trip away once and it was very cold, the radiators add about 10-12c to the temp, so in our case, it brought it upto about 10c. Better than -2 though.

Be aware that if like us you find yourself snowed in and the power goes out, as we did in the attached video you won't have anything so be prepared. Cali's with the heaters in are great, wish we had one.
Incredible video! Love it!

we went for the Iso-top "internal tent" as it can be left fitted.
It has improved the temperature/darkness up top. Good quality sleeping bag and heater(CO monitor)

Raz the heating just before you turn the lights out, then don't surface until the heating has been on for a bit in the morning. We keep our remote attached to the handle with an elastic band so we can't loose it and don't have to move too much to turn it on.
If it's really cold you can get used to the ticking!

I can recommend the Comfortz cali topper, we also use a small low wattage oil filled radiator when it's cold and hooked up to the mains. This keeps it warmer and doesn't make any noise or use diesel fuel.
I like the look of the Cali topper as it looks as though I might be able to set it up on my own. What do you think? Is it easy enough?

Raz the heating just before you turn the lights out, then don't surface until the heating has been on for a bit in the morning. We keep our remote attached to the handle with an elastic band so we can't loose it and don't have to move too much to turn it on.
If it's really cold you can get used to the ticking!
Love the idea of attaching it to a handle with elastic band!

we went for the Iso-top "internal tent" as it can be left fitted.
It has improved the temperature/darkness up top. Good quality sleeping bag and heater(CO monitor)
How easy do you find it to set up? I've read it can be quite tricky...

Diesel Heater set on Level 1 or 2. Pretty quiet in operation, and you could always wear earplugs. But to be really honest I don't notice it at all.
That is why the SE is built with the heater.
Beware though, you do need ventilation, not because of the Diesel Heater, but because of, in your case, 3 people sleeping in a confined space. Carbon Dioxide build up is of more importance than Carbon Monoxide but easily dealt with by good ventilation.
That's a really good point. If I keep a window open though, it will get even colder.......!!

Thermal underwear and a bobble hat, and as said earlier if it is very cold sleep in a fleece. You can always take it off when you warm up.
A good quality sleeping bag, (I would recommend a down one) is also a must imho.
I need a bobble hat....that's where I'm going wrong!!

I like the look of the Cali topper as it looks as though I might be able to set it up on my own. What do you think? Is it easy enough?
Two of us manage it quickly now but never tried on my own. The hardest bit i guess is "throwing" it over the roof by yourself. You raise the roof about 18", throw the cover over, set up the material over each corner, raise the roof then "peg out"/ secure the topper with little bungees. Probably need a step unless you're 6'4"

That's a really good point. If I keep a window open though, it will get even colder.......!!
True, but why do you think there are vents in the roof?
That is why there is a heater in the SE.
Upto 4 people in such a confined space with such well sealed doors and windows, without adequate ventilation is a recipe for trouble. The Diesel heater heats the air within via a heat exchanger. You do not need ventilation for the heater, but the occupants.
Last Christmas, snowing, roof up with heater on Level 1' nice and warm with a 10 Tog Duvet, and NO condensation.

Anyone who seals the roof vents and shut all the windows is just asking for trouble.

I don't have a topper, I have camped in extreme weather, I have never lost sleep through being cold.

The hardest thing is when you feel compelled to move, for reasons of bladder capacity constraints, clicking the remote, curling up all snug again and hanging on for the heater to start blasting out warm air.:shocked

Sometimes even decadence can be slow to activate :eek:

Have you tried just leaving the heater on low as a background? Would keep the seat warmer on your Porta Potti.:thumb

Back