Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New van shopping list

Less is more. I am from the school of do not overthink it and do not buy everything too quickly. looking at your list 907 gaz bottle?

Less is more. I am from the school of do not overthink it and do not buy everything too quickly.
Totally agree. Learning to carry just what you need will take quite a few trips of different lengths and in different conditions. Im still learning and tweaking our kit list over time, which for me is part of the fun :)

Last edited:
With a new van on the way shortly I've been looking at what to buy in preparation. Now I appreciate that for a lot of things, you're probably better off getting the van and figuring out what you need as you go, but I think based on the reviews on this forum there's some things that I can decide on in advance. And in the spirit of community I thought I would share for anyone else looking for a consolidated list of stuff to consider.

Most of this came from a few threads here that I've been following: 'game changers', 'what did you buy today', and 'I most regret buying'. All of it is subjective of course.

To buy ahead of the van arriving...
View attachment 95937

Not sure about the rest; will wait until van arrives and see what we need...
View attachment 95938
For your clothes storage in the wardrobe, these everytime! The mediums are the same size as the wardrobe. I think. Don't even think of anything else to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014VBGRR8/?tag=eliteelect-21

With a new van on the way shortly I've been looking at what to buy in preparation. Now I appreciate that for a lot of things, you're probably better off getting the van and figuring out what you need as you go, but I think based on the reviews on this forum there's some things that I can decide on in advance. And in the spirit of community I thought I would share for anyone else looking for a consolidated list of stuff to consider.

Most of this came from a few threads here that I've been following: 'game changers', 'what did you buy today', and 'I most regret buying'. All of it is subjective of course.

View attachment 95937

View attachment 95938

Have you got a electric hook up cable already?

I’m in a similar position and started my own list earlier this week but trying to hold off and order most things when the van arrives.

I don't see a screen cover on your list. I have two, one for summer and a silverscreen for winter. The front screen blinds are useless.

I don't see a screen cover on your list. I have two, one for summer and a silverscreen for winter. The front screen blinds are useless.
We have used the Beach blinds for nearly 2 years and they are even more of a faff than the Ocean ones. For any new owners I would still suggest using what comes with the California before deciding whether to buy anything different.

Yeah I was thinking about those magnetic ones across the side door - but they just look like a real faff so not sure...
Try using the side window ones that come with the van. If going to Scotland you may need a finer mesh that’s all. I made some basic midge blinds very cheaply for the front windows rather than buy ready made ones. Turns out I didn’t need them at all during our recent trip to France, so that’s a potential purchase I have removed from my list. I have enough material left over for the sliding window too :)
This is what they look like:

01D47AA6-CD0B-4E00-85C0-DBCE7CC3E10D.jpeg

Which type of van are you buying a Beach or an Ocean?
If it’s a Beach, I’m sure the slide out drawer could be worth the money, but not convinced for an Ocean. (On a Beach you may have a fridges and kitchen equipment in the boot.)
Re the tailgate tent, are you aware that these are supported by the tailgate, so if you drive somewhere for the day, it’ll have to be taken down.
Personally I’d fit Solar panels rather buying the power bank. They’re not that much more expensive.
I notice that you don’t have a portapotti on your list. This and a toilet tent has been great for us. We don’t use it all the time, but is handy for early morning use and when there’s been an issue with site toilets. Also allows us to use campsites with no/limited facilities or compost toilets. (Nothing against compost toilets, but if not used correctly they can be stinky. Unlikely that everyone on site will use according to instructions.)
Great use of a spreadsheet!
It's an Ocean - interesting view on the slide our drawer, just seems like such a neat solution to me.
The tailgate tent is very much a nice-to-have rather than an essential and was planning to use it for a shower. That's one where we'll do a couple of trips and see if we want it.
Great insight on the solar panels, I hadn't actually priced them up as assumed they would be very expensive, but if there's not much different between them and the bank I think you are right!
Finally, on the portapotti, this is a much debated topic here with my partner and we have yet to come to a conclusion. Again I think after a couple of trips the answer will present itself!

I originally bought the fallcrest and Hillcrest combo but returned the front panel in favour of the Thule sunblocker option which is semi transparent. Gives a better feeling of not being 'boxed' in while providing adequate protection from sun, wind and rain plus offers privacy.
Thanks - have added to my list as a consideration instead of the brandup one!

Try using the side window ones that come with the van. If going to Scotland you may need a finer mesh that’s all. I made some basic midge blinds very cheaply for the front windows rather than buy ready made ones. Turns out I didn’t need them at all during our recent trip to France, so that’s a potential purchase I have removed from my list. I have enough material left over for the sliding window too :)
This is what they look like:

View attachment 96055
Very smart! I was thinking in terms of having the side door opened with a net across it like in this picture from the shop, but I'm not so sure on it. We're both mosquito and midge magnets you see.
1657538484195.png

For midges, they can still get through the vents in the roof.

This is a DIY version for about £20 :)
Maybe try that first and if you feel you really need it, splash out on an expensive one.

Wow you've done a lot of thinking! Generally buy as little as you can before you get the van and then see what you need. Champagne glasses - yes essential! Personally we have never seen the need for a ridge monkey. I don't quite get its legendary reputation. On your 'once we get the van' list - levelling chocks are surprisingly useful so I would get a set now. Re complicated awnings, extra rooms, tents etc - they are called 'divorce in a bag' for a reason. Extra weight, extra faff. We have a cheap Decathlon pup tent which we take on longer trips and just chuck all our stuff in if we're taking the van out for the day. Enjoy your new adventures!

Collapsible stool
Agree on packing cubes for clothes and first aid kit
I have an ocean and was happy with Anker powerbank 337 which charges 3 devices fast.
I have ikea storage boxes (1 large and 1 small) that stacks in the kitchen cupboard. I also use fabric cubes (1/2 size) to organise under bench drawer.
We bought a rainbow blind for the pop up roof. It’s a phaff in summer (thought it would keep van cool) and if you are moving daily but it amazing when camping and it’s below 10degrees. But it’s big and takes up space.

Wow you've done a lot of thinking! Generally buy as little as you can before you get the van and then see what you need. Champagne glasses - yes essential! Personally we have never seen the need for a ridge monkey. I don't quite get its legendary reputation. On your 'once we get the van' list - levelling chocks are surprisingly useful so I would get a set now. Re complicated awnings, extra rooms, tents etc - they are called 'divorce in a bag' for a reason. Extra weight, extra faff. We have a cheap Decathlon pup tent which we take on longer trips and just chuck all our stuff in if we're taking the van out for the day. Enjoy your new adventures!
Ridge monkey is good for toast. Probably has other uses but I’ve not tried. As for levelling blocks they’d be at the bottom of my list. Hence, as you say, get the minimum and work out what you need.

View attachment 95937

View attachment 95938
For the extinguishers, please use a freeze proof foam extinguisher and not powder. The powder extinguisher is efficient but create huge damage and make everything corrode… eEven better is a good fire blanket!!! Good luck

Interesting how everyone’s essentials differ. I do like the ‘divorce in a bag’ analogy! We’ve avoided extras like this (so far). Our essentials art porta potti 335 (our age) with little fold up stool to put it on, Cadac 30 (with the little gas canister), Duvalays, two fleecy blankets (for wrapping up in outside in the evening), cheap kitchen equipment from TK Max, Sainsburys, and Robert Dyas. New reusable shopping bags from Sainsburys to store everything from clothes to tools, leads, hoses etc. Boxes with lids from TK Max exactly fit the kitchen cupboard! Two looped grey bath mats from Robert Dyas - great on the floor.
My dear husband insisted a 10m electric cable was enough. Surprise, surprise it wasn’t (on second campsite) so off to buy a longer one today!
Things I’m now taking out are gas kettle (have a small electric one and will use a pan if necessary). Plastic jug (can’t see a use). Toilet tent (use porta potti in the van at night). Plastic glasses (have real ones in a lunch size cool bag).
We haven’t got a fridge trivet - keeps
microfibre cloth in the bottom!
Don’t get the ridge monkey thing? The Cadac does toast on the ridged pan.
Need to source some insect screens for the sliding door. Fire extinguisher, fire blanket and carbon monoxide alarm.
Finally, a diet trapper mat for outside the sliding door.

For the extinguishers, please use a freeze proof foam extinguisher and not powder. The powder extinguisher is efficient but create huge damage and make everything corrode… eEven better is a good fire blanket!!! Good luck
Thanks for the tip!

I’ll probably buy a fire blanket and foam as you suggest. In reality if there’s a fire unless it’s minute - I’m out of there!!

By what you use, not what you think you will use. A lot of these items are unused in someone’s garage.
Yeah I certainly appreciate the advice - I guess I just don't want to be short on essentials on those first few trips. Also the way I tend to operate is if I'm not organised from day one, it'll be two years before I get around to buying some more intelligent storage solutions like the kitchen shelves and then I'll wonder why I didn't do it sooner!

There is no definitive answer. We had campervans before and every trip I do some finetuning on my set up. And guess what, sometimes I come back to an earlier set up. Still 1 golden rule. What I didn’t use will stay home next trip. This year I bought a lightwheight tripod bbq, and the one use bbq will stay home next time.

Totally agree. Learning to carry just what you need will take quite a few trips of different lengths and in different conditions. Im still learning and tweaking our kit list over time, which for me is part of the fun :)
Not sure there'll ever be a definitive solution to this Campervan equipment conundrum. Bought a garage full of everything before collecting the van. Been on 12 trips in the 4 months since van arrived.... in different locations, with numerous family and friends, in contrasting weather conditions from a couple of nights to one week as a family of four with two Border Terriers. Haven't had the same stuff inside the van twice!!!?! Can't decide if it's part of the fun or driving me mad....

My list of essential buys consisted of this.
Double Duvet from the spare bed.
Pillows from the spare bed.
Mattress topper for the lower bed/seat. Originally bought a small double from dunelm for £30, now have a panda from Costco £75.
2 single duvet covers from dunelm. 1 to use as a mattress protector for the top mattress and 1 as a sheet ontop. Both fit perfectly and don't move around.
Ridgemonkey xl
Ikea white storage boxes as seen on Chilli on YouTube (South Korean but shows the model name and number for the boxes) a lid from these fits ontop of the Cutlery holder to add more space.
Electric hook up 25m and an adapter for charging at home.
Cutlery. Didn't fit!!!! So swapped with my Cutlery from home which did fit.
Bamboo plates and bowls.
Thin cotton towels from Morocco. Dry so quickly. Can get them in most places now.

Added since
Rugs for the floor that are in 2 parts so can lift if moving the rear seats.
2 zip bags from ikea for storing bedding.
Usb light/fly zapper similar to the 1 used by the Professional Moochers on YouTube. It can hang from the bar in the poptop or the awning.
Usb fan with a clip.
Several bags for life that can squash into shape in the boot for storing extra clothes, wetsuits, washing, outdoor cooking stuff etc.
With the rear shelf being able to lift we can reach everything in the boot easily.
Storm straps for the awning.
Some cheap solar lights for the base of the awning straps and feet so when it's dark you know where they are.
Portaloo just incase
Small rechargeable radio/Bluetooth speaker.

I'm sure there's quite a bit more but can't think of them now.