Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Importing a left hand drive for a future in Europe

O

olaand

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We are considering buying and importing a left hand drive VW Cali (or other model) to the UK because we are very likely to move to Sweden in the next couple of years. In the interim we expect to use it for a couple of European trips (not just to Sweden). Should we expect to be able to buy like for like cheaper in, say, Germany, compared to the UK?

Having done the same research for a large motorhome, it is not impossible but european prices are higher than British ones plus our VAT and Import Duty, it would be an expensive proposition.

You’ll need a speedometer that reads both mph as well as kmh from memory, and may have to fit lights from a rhd model. That’s what someone I know had to do to register her European registered car in the uk

Most digital dashes do both, if you specify centre dipping lights then you are OK, most LED headlight systems auto adjust when crossing borders, My new motorhome RHD has centre dipping lights and single button to switch display between KM and mph. With two manufacturers it was cheaper to order a LHD UK spec vehicle in UK than to try and buy a LHD on the Continent. With a coach built you sit nearly in the middle anyway. When importing a european registered vehicle it has to go to a DoT testing station for type approval almost immediately upon arrival. Rear Fog Lights might be an issue as some countries do not mandate them.

We are considering buying and importing a left hand drive VW Cali (or other model) to the UK because we are very likely to move to Sweden in the next couple of years. In the interim we expect to use it for a couple of European trips (not just to Sweden). Should we expect to be able to buy like for like cheaper in, say, Germany, compared to the UK?
Often the actual vehicle price maybe the same the difference being the taxes of the different countries. So if bought abroad for immediate export you wouldn’t pay German , or whichever countries taxes, but you would pay U.K. VAT and Vehicle registration costs + I believe VCA costs + costs for headlamp,foglight,Speedo conversion if required.

BUT, if you do relocate to Sweden you will have to do the reverse conversion but as the vehicle will no longer be a new vehicle VAT won’t be chargeable but other “ Swedish/EU charges “ may be applicable.

So, not impossible but probably a lot of form filling.

That form filling sounds guaranteed to take the joy out of anything.

Maybe hire a uk one for trips until you move? Then buy one in Sweden?

Or buy a T4 Westfalia (all LHD) here and then trade in for a California in Sweden?

I live in Germany, the new vehicles are basically the same price as the UK, the second hand vehicle market is much more expensive here.

A friend of mine in the UK is considering selling his LHD Cali. It’s UK registered, so would avoid the hassle of importing one. Not sure the exact model, but I think it’s a T5, first registered around 2017. But I could be wrong about that. Could also be a T6. Anyway, send me a private message if you want his details. Van is in East Sussex.

I bought two 6.1’s from Uli at https://www.autounger.com/ very happy with the service (and the great prices), a friend has also bought a 6.1 there a couple of months ago. Uli helped me with all the paperwork including the VAT so when my company sold them they were net of VAT to an EU buyer. This (if your accountant/ company are ok with this) will help you avoid paying vat twice. My original plan was to register in Denmark but plans changed

MPH / KMH was pressing two buttons to display MPH and I bought some RHD transporter HQ lights to swap with the LHD ones when I was in UK. I understand the optional LED front lights (neither of mine had these) are switchable. Zero issues IMHO on buying a LHD. Gratuitous photo attached.

1F43E0FD-1835-412C-BD14-3BAF32CA71E7.jpeg

You should just buy one in Sweden! The value of SEK is crap right now :)