Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with a very serious problem please!

Tracey Johns

Tracey Johns

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all

We are fairly new to our Cali only having used it a few times so far... one of the things we most enjoy about using it is the wine chiller, therefore plastic wine 'glasses' aren't for us - we need proper glasses, which leads me to my question - where do people keep their wine glasses? as so far we have broken 2 as they have rolled around in the cupboard under the cooker..
everything else I can store quite well with no rattling around but the wine glasses are causing me a serious issue..
help please

I have one of those plastic compartmented wine carrier bags. Instead of bottles of wine they carry wine glasses, the spare space partly taken up with bubble wrap. I've never had a broken one yet.

ah ok good idea - Amazon here I come! :)

no need to go to amazon.

Order some wine off waitrose online and they send it in a very nice wine carrier. 4 glasses leaves two empty sleeves, room for other essentials such as bottle openers etc.

When you by glasses in IKEA (again). You can pick a cardboard box for storing 6 glasses. That is what we use. Never broken one … yet ;-)

But I am planing to get e more sustainable solution, and the foam blocks look interesting. But we dont need to bring so many cups and glasses.

I've just ordered a carefully measured padded camera case - fingers crossed no more breakages :cheers

Or simply put the glasses in som (fresh) socks …

We do as the French do, and use these:
Picardie-Glasses-Small.jpg

Very sturdy!

We do as the French do, and use these:
Picardie-Glasses-Small.jpg

Very sturdy!
Ours are the small glasses which you get Nutella in. Over the years we seem to have acquired rather a lot of these, so I was looking to clear some out of the kitchen cabinets! I'm not sure how we ended up with so many as no-one in our house is a Nutella freak. Hey ho. They travel safely inside our thermos insulated mugs, and don't rattle or break.

When we bought our Cali in 2009, on our first trip to France we found six nice elegant but sturdy wine glasses without a leg. Two of them last until today, most of the time residing in the insulated coffee mugs to the right of it. The others found a premature end outside the cali, with a high correlation of the presence of empty bottles.

We never had any breaking glass nor rumbling of tableware in the cabinet. Just put a dishcloth on the bottom of the plastic 'drawer', and you're done.

Being a bit posh, we also travel with porcelain dinner plates. No silver spoons by the way.

To be totally off topic, the coffee on the right is freeze dried grains from Fairglobe, you'll find it in every Lidl. Bit expensive though, if I remember well 40 euro per kilo. Worth every gram, tastes strong enough -for us.

Glassy regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

20160412_143044.jpg

We took plastic wine glasses in the beginning but now we take the real stuff .
Got a plastic storagebox (like those tupperware foodboxes) where the two nice fit in stuffed with some kitchenpaper to prevent ratlles.
It does taste better out glass then plastic

Another vote for the French Duralex glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does taste better out glass then plastic

Completely agree with that. We use the very cheap IKEA glasses called RATTVIK, they're virtually bombproof and even if I did break one it would be £1.50 down the swanee (mind you that's considerably more than the value of the wine we usually put in them).

We stow them in a plastic box that once held some Lego. So overall we're quite Nordic in the wine department. Laplandic pinot noir, anyone?

John Lewis do/did a range of high quality plastic wine glasses. Not the thick cheap stuff. We bought a couple especially for the van.

Being a bit posh, we also travel with porcelain dinner plates. No silver spoons by the way.
So are we: no plastic plates, cups, glasses etc in our Cali!

To be totally off topic, the coffee on the right is freeze dried grains from Fairglobe, you'll find it in every Lidl. Bit expensive though, if I remember well 40 euro per kilo. Worth every gram, tastes strong enough -for us.
Hmm... no. Our coffee is Illy pads in a Bialetti Brikka:
193689_bialetti-brikka-elite-2-kops.png

We keep two very nice glass wine glasses wrapped in a tea towel inside a click top plastic box under the rear seat.

Back