Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Improvised awning winder

F

flymartin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Managed to leave home for our three week trip with every conceivable extra (two additional tables, a folding cupboard, a Coleman event shelter, to name but four bits of bulky kit we haven’t used in 10 days), but left the awning winder in the garage at home..

So I have managed to borrow a winder a couple of times, but I’ve also found that my adjustable spanner fits the slot exactly and so I have an improvised winder. It’s easy winding out, but winding in is a surprisingly good upper body workout. Today, to get past the initial clunk where the arms start to bend, I added pliers to give more torque more easily. Now I just have to be very careful not to clang this setup against the van.
IMG_4438.jpeg

Does anyone have any better ideas?

It’s a Beach. You get clips in the Ocean?!

Yes. Clips in the drawer. I get it now. I had a beach and that handle was a pain to stash

Yes. Clips in the drawer. I get it now. I had a beach and that handle was a pain to stash
I had been keeping it in the big pocket under the fold out stove but I took it out during a rattle diagnosis and forgot to put it back in..

I don't know why vw can't think of a nice spot to stash that in a beach . But they can't

Sorry I dont have any suggestions for an alternative handle, but my handle is stored in the tailgate with the chairs. Just loose slid in crossways before you do the zip up. Just have to remember to catch it when you open the zip to get the chairs out though before it falls on your head.

Obviously it doesn't help right now but you can get 3d printed clips that will allow you store the winder above the sliding door inside the van. I have them in my Beach and its a neat solution. I can't remember where I got them (eBay I think) but they weren't expensive.

Winder fits in the tailgate seats, between one of the seat pad and back when folded !
I made a padded bag to hold mine with the pegs and stop rattles

84B1DB49-4EAD-4FD4-A77A-58D902B58C45.jpeg

Last edited: