Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

IN the event of a puncture - using the spare

I don't think they fit them now anyway. But in the past on my Series 2 & 3 I think most of the " tubeless" tyres ended up with inner tubes.
You can't use inner tubes in tyres less than 70% profile. That rules out about 99% of cars these days.
Even my Morgan with wire wheels doesn't have them.

Yep tell me about it.

This didn't seem to happen way back "in my day", back then a puncture usually just required a puncture repair.

So... is that (a) modern low profile tyres are more liable to sidewall damage when they deflate (maybe because they have more rigid sidewalls)? Or (b) they deflate quicker when punctured (obviously, they have less air in them)? Or (c) we (and tyre shops) are more likely these days to inspect a punctured tyre carefully before re-fitting it?
None of it makes sense to me, it all seems a tad hypocritical?
We all run 103 spec rubber so in theory the sidewalls are tough as.
My last two flat’s occurred at sub 60kph and, although they lost air quickly, there was plenty of warning so I’d managed to almost stop it before the rim applied any weight to a squashed tyre. Spare was fitted without any further movement.
On both occasions I was told the inside of the tyre was damaged.
I suspect it’s just tyre guy applying a healthy coat of arse covering?

None of it makes sense to me, it all seems a tad hypocritical?
We all run 103 spec rubber so in theory the sidewalls are tough as.
My last two flat’s occurred at sub 60kph and, although they lost air quickly, there was plenty of warning so I’d managed to almost stop it before the rim applied any weight to a squashed tyre. Spare was fitted without any further movement.
On both occasions I was told the inside of the tyre was damaged.
I suspect it’s just tyre guy applying a healthy coat of arse covering?
Probably saw his chance to make some commission

I don't think they fit them now anyway. But in the past on my Series 2 & 3 I think most of the " tubeless" tyres ended up with inner tubes.
Agree, the days of getting the tyre dealer to “stick an inner tube in” are gone.

Nail/screw in a tubekless tyre will probably give a slow puncture but a tubed tyre meant a rapid air loss.
Tubelees -- the nail plugs the hole but a tube being like a balloon is burst.

After reading this and similar post, I decided to do a dry run at home, so I am better prepared when travelling (particularly with those factory fit Bridgestones - see other postings including one with 5 consecutive punctures on one trip).

My Ocean is just one year old, wheels never removed before. I do live on the sea front - ie saline in the air.

First wheel came off with much rubber hammering for a long time, whilst the VW jack did not look all that good (spare tyre under car as a precaution) second wheel would not budge.

Went to my local tyre shop, and £60 and an hour or more later with two strong mechanics (and dishing out plasters from my first aid kit) all four wheel are off and back on with copper grease to all the binding surfaces (essentially alloy to steel).

So regardless how new your California is, I would endorse the wisdom above of @WelshGas et al: if you have not had your wheels off yet, it might be wise to do this (and copper grease the relevant surfaces) either yourself or at a local tyre shop.

Last edited:
No I don't suppose they're used much in UK nowadays. But I always carry a couple of tubes when I do endurance rallies (along with one spare wheel plus another spare tyre, loose). Not needed to use a tube myself but they've got other people that I know out of trouble when miles from anywhere.

If you fit a tube in a modern 'tubeless' type you have to be careful to sand down as far as possible any rubber spikes and bobbles on the inside of the carcase. The older tyres that were intended for use with tubes (and still made for pre-war cars) have smooth interiors.

Sorry, straying a long way off topic.

So regardless how new your California is, I would endorse the wisdom above of @WelshGas et al: if you have not had your wheels off yet, it might be wise to do this (and copper grease the relevant surfaces) either yourself or a a local tyre shop.
There have been a lot of past forum threads on exactly that, it really is extremely good advice. A properly stuck-on Cali alloy is impervious to all the usual tricks (rocking the van with the wheel nuts off, etc etc... nope). Get some copperslip on those puppies before you get really caught out on the road somewhere.

(And don't take any nonsense from some 14 year old at the tyre shop about "mustn't put grease on the wheels, mate". Copper grease is anti-seize, it's not a lubricant.)