Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No spare wheel with new SE

S

StephenOsbr

Can anyone help. I recently took delivery of my new 14 plate Cali but when I got it home I noticed that there was no spare wheel. Rather there was a puncture repair it.

Is this correct?

Depends on wheel size. 17" come with a steel spare, 18" come with a repair kit.

Mine has 18" wheels and came with a spare in place

I ordered the optional 17" Timaru alloys, which look great, and was expecting a steel spare. But alas no. Looks like I will have to get back in touch with the dealer again.

Some wheel options do come with a puncture repair kit over a spare. Its in the the small print somewhere! Easy enough to fit one though, if you get no luck with the dealer. The kit is approx £50, and then you need a wheel and tyre.

This was discussed earlier on the thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3392#p29571

It is not the diameter of the alloy that really matters, but its width (if that's the word), the J size.

Officially there is only room under the car for sizes up to 7. My Sienna 17 inch, J 7.5 wheels did not fit, and came with a kit. Most 18 inch alloys have J 8, I believe, but that's no law.

I felt that I needed a spare, so I bought an extra in standard size (that is 17 inch for the 180 hp, J 7). With a small adaptation under the car I can now also store a Sienna there, but you don't need to if you are prepared to carry a punctured wheel on board.

I had optional 18" alloys and it has a spare steel wheel as standard. Paul.

Give Steve in our parts department a call for some prices of the spare wheel carrier, spare wheel and tyre!

cheers

I just thought it was 18s that got no spare.

It seems far more random than that!!

I was told by VW that the type of vehicle class that the Cali falls into means that a spare has to be the same as the other wheels on the vehicle. You cannot mix like having a space saver on a conventional car.
Be careful if your spare is different you could be breaking the law.

StephenOsbr said:
I ordered the optional 17" Timaru alloys, which look great, and was expecting a steel spare. But alas no. Looks like I will have to get back in touch with the dealer again.

Hi, the description below is cut and pasted from page 36 (the wheel options) of the jan 14 brochure. Only the 18" wheels state that they come with a repair kit.
May be worth checking with dealership.

17" Timaru
Set of four 7J x 17 alloys with
235/55 R17 tyres and steel spare wheel

Update May 14
Our SE arrived with steel spare for 17" cascavel's as expected.