Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inconsiderate dog owners.

Some places they ask you to flick it off the footpath with a stick, which seems a better option.

I've tried that but can rarely get the bag to end up hanging from a tree branch. More practice needed, obv.

It's not an on/off lead problem. Ours is never attached but doesn't stray from our pitch and doesn't bark. It's proper training that counts!
Our dogs barked at every passer by the first time we went camping, but they learnt the rules very quickly. It is down to the owners to train them as to the rules.

As for hissing at them to get away, i think you are confusing dogs with cats.. ;).

I didn't know Audi made dogs. :thumb
Yes, they’re called Auditions. Bit like Alsatians, but bad mannered and ill tempered. Their one good trait is that they follow you very closely. ;)

We now have not one but two Audis in our household (I know, I know). A great feature is that the Audi ACC has variable settings. You can set the following distance to anywhere between 2 and 5 metres. ;)

We now have not one but two Audis in our household (I know, I know). A great feature is that the Audi ACC has variable settings. You can set the following distance to anywhere between 2 and 5 metres. ;)

Yours is faulty.

That should be "Feet" ...:sad

Now I'm aware that a dog to many owners is an important member of their family so any criticism of their pooch's behavior is likely to bring forth howls of indignation and protest .........and they'd be right because it's the owners themselves not the animal that should be brought to heel. Not all of us want to share our pitch with someone elses uncontrolled hound nor do we want to listen to it howling or barking through the night or pick up its mess before we can occupy a pitch.

Over recent years I've experienced very few unpleasant episodes whilst camping as most people are on the whole pleasant, friendly and considerate. However of those rare occasions that I can recall, the majority have involved poorly controlled dogs.

On one occasion we had food stolen from our awning in broad daylight. Another episode involved two ladies with at least three dogs which they shut in a van overnight. These animals howled and barked constantly until very late at night where upon I finally lost patience and let forth with comprehensive instructions to the owners at full volume. They must have taken the hint as the dogs were moved to their caravan and silence prevailed. Only last week I had trouble with another hound on a site near Hindhead. Every time I started to cook this persistant creature appeared from nowhere. As soon as the raw sausages and bacon were revealed this mutt stuck to me like a limpet. Any amount of course language, hissing and chasing seemed to have little effect. All this was going on whilst the owners were presumably enjoying a peaceful time in their tent or caravan. Eventually half a bowl of cold washing up water seem to pursued it to Foxtrot Oscar. I've lost count of the number of times over the years that a meal or picnic has been interrupted by the sudden arrival of an uncontrolled opportunist four legged stomach. Your then left with no choice but to hold your plates of food out of reach whilst trying to ward off it's attempts to sniff or devour any food spread out within it's reach. When the owner eventually appears you are often greeted with words like "Oh he won't hurt you, he's an old softy really" but rarely an apology.

My point being that I appreciate others love for their pets but that doesnt mean I want you to share them with me. Please keep them under control. If I wanted a dog I'd probably already have one!

Please ignore this post if you are one of the majority of responsible owners. Enjoy.
I agree with you 100%. We travel with 6 dogs and I can well imagine the thoughts as we set up camp. We travel with an 8-sided foldable cage and they are immediately ushered inside. Prior to arriving at the campsite, we stop to let the dogs out to spend a penny. There is also a top that fits on the cage and I hang our towels over two of the sides. A small disciplinarian is clipped to the cage to remind them of the "quiet law." At night they come inside Campi, so our neighbours are not disturbed. My dogs are not allowed to run free nor disturb anybody on the campsite. In Amboise, they attracted about 6/7 children who lined up to walk them. Even the parents came over and thanked us for letting their children walk them. One young French boy was totally in love with my young 5 month old Kerry Blue and as we left the campsite, he ran forward to the gate where we stopped so he could have one last kiss and cuddle from her. Great for the dogs and children alike.

Can we expand this one to include out of control kids?
Think this could be one of those threads!
Proud dog owner of two very well behaved bitches (as I tell my mother in law, I needed at least one to obey me in the house Ahahah) I vouch for the annoyance of uncontrolled dogs (that give me a bad reputation) and annoying children... we do tend to visit at least once a year a child free campsite and the experience is always lovely :) (note that we have a 16 yo that is on the spectrum so at times we have the annoying child ourselves lol)

Bang on cue ....

post 15, item 3, last night.

Not the lead that tripped me but avoiding the dog on the lead that ran in front of me.

More "dog-caused" TCP Stink :sad

knee.jpg

I agree with you 100%. We travel with 6 dogs and I can well imagine the thoughts as we set up camp. We travel with an 8-sided foldable cage and they are immediately ushered inside. Prior to arriving at the campsite, we stop to let the dogs out to spend a penny. There is also a top that fits on the cage and I hang our towels over two of the sides. A small disciplinarian is clipped to the cage to remind them of the "quiet law." At night they come inside Campi, so our neighbours are not disturbed. My dogs are not allowed to run free nor disturb anybody on the campsite. In Amboise, they attracted about 6/7 children who lined up to walk them. Even the parents came over and thanked us for letting their children walk them. One young French boy was totally in love with my young 5 month old Kerry Blue and as we left the campsite, he ran forward to the gate where we stopped so he could have one last kiss and cuddle from her. Great for the dogs and children alike.
Wow - 6? Since I went up to 4 (from 2 after keeping 2 pups when only planned to keep 1...) I haven’t been away with the dogs. Missing my VW meets and also planning to compete at agility with 3 of the 4 next year so am currently getting a tow bar fitted so can make things more manageable for travelling and camping.
I’m assuming your 6 are relatively small, otherwise where do you put them when travelling?

Those no-see extendable leads, I just hate them :sad

End of a recent run..

knee.jpg

Those no-see extendable leads, I just hate them :sad

End of a recent run..

View attachment 37533
Ouch !
I came close to one of those leads causing me to come off my bike recently. When the dog is so far from the owner I think the mind is fooled to not even think there is a trip wire waiting