Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To dog or not to dog?

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello dog lovers.

We are considering getting a dog. I grew up with dogs (labs and retrievers) and love dogs, except that since not living with dogs over the last 20 years or so I’ve developed an allergy to dogs so I’m very carefully considering a small to medium sized anti allergy type dog and whether that can work. I’d love the kids to grow up with a dog like I did.

Anyway. Anyone on here camp and travel with young kids and dogs? We’ve got two youngish kids (6&9) and mainly do short weekends and then school holidays in our Beach sometimes combined with rented accommodation for longer ones. We like pubs cafes, walks, beaches, that sort of thing.

I’m concerned about how it would work with a dog in tow, getting in to campsites, pubs, doing anything away from the van. Plus the already very full van.

Is it just a complete pain?

Where does the dog sleep in a small van?

Thanks, just looking for some advice and tips really.

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Neilos
We have an Ocean, a 12 year old and a little Pugzu Yorkieshon (pick it out of that lot). It is fine. The dog Daphne sleeps in her collapsible crate on the front seat.
She travels strapped in on the back seat, which might be available in your 5 seat beach with 2 kids?
We're glad we spec'd the shower to clean her off after muddy walks, but a paw buddy would do nearly as well.

Hi @Neilos
We have an Ocean, a 12 year old and a little Pugzu Yorkieshon (pick it out of that lot). It is fine. The dog Daphne sleeps in her collapsible crate on the front seat.
She travels strapped in on the back seat, which might be available in your 5 seat beach with 2 kids?
We're glad we spec'd the shower to clean her off after muddy walks, but a paw buddy would do nearly as well.

Thanks that looks a good tool there, yes middle seat free. Which is why I’m thinking we can’t have a huge dog. Needs to be small enough to squish in!

Hello dog lovers.

We are considering getting a dog. I grew up with dogs (labs and retrievers) and love dogs, except that since not living with dogs over the last 20 years or so I’ve developed an allergy to dogs so I’m very carefully considering a small to medium sized anti allergy type dog and whether that can work. I’d love the kids to grow up with a dog like I did.

Anyway. Anyone on here camp and travel with young kids and dogs? We’ve got two youngish kids (6&9) and mainly do short weekends and then school holidays in our Beach sometimes combined with rented accommodation for longer ones. We like pubs cafes, walks, beaches, that sort of thing.

I’m concerned about how it would work with a dog in tow, getting in to campsites, pubs, doing anything away from the van. Plus the already very full van.

N.

90% of campsites are dog friendly, there’s the odd one in the new forest like ashurst which isn’t.
As for pubs again most are dog friendly if you are out in the countryside.
My dog just sleeps on the passenger seat at night.

Campervans and dogs go together, as for space if you have room for some dog food,towel,tick pull, poo bags,brush, ball and a bed mat probably about a shopping bag amount of space needed.
My dog has been all over Europe.
If you speak to Tom (Amarillo) he has a beach two kids and woof and spent a year travelling around Europe.

Our Vizsla loves to camp as he's closer to us and gets total attention for 24hr's a day. He travels in his crate on the floor and then it either collapses flat or goes in the awning depending on what set-up we are going with. We have the d-ring anchor on one of the rails, which comes in handy when we are in and out a lot setting things up and don't want his muddy feet creating havoc. His preference is to sleep on the bed but is also happy on the passenger seat if its been rotated. Or if his sulking then he goes to his crate or a footwell. Having him around totally changes the experience for the better.

What also amazed me was how many hotels and rental properties are dog friendly, so its absolutely not a problem to rough it or go upmarket. We also have the external shower but added the Geyser system so he can have a proper shower using warm water in the wetter/colder months.

We have installed the shop floor anchor for the dog to be harnessed to when she's in her bed behind the front seats. Works well for us, she fell off the bench seat under hard braking once too many...

At night she currently sleeps on the turned passenger seat :thumb

22kg black working labrador, good as gold, she LOVES going out in the van...

Hello dog lovers.

N.

Hi Neilos

If you like dogs that much and want your kids to have the same experience, then a California / dog combination is ideal. Places you tend to visit are usually dog friendly.

This site is full of advice about where they sleep, how to keep them safe when driving, places to visit and of course all our chats about the reality of those very special family members with beautiful pics.

I say do it! You should use the search on the Cali dogs thread to check out tips mentioned above.

We look forward to seeing your puppy pics soon

Hello dog lovers.

N.

I have GSDs they sleep in the van with me no problem. but my kids are grown up. As to allergy free that’s a bit of a myth. Even the allergy free dogs can be a problem it’s just that they drop less fur dander etc compared for instance to my GSDs who molt a lot.

I’d definitely recommend a small dog in a small van. We have a lab who makes van life difficult at times…..though he is a bit special - very nervous and various ailments which impact what we can do. He doesn’t particularly like going away in the van, but hates being left behind as well. He only likes to lie up on the parcel shelf at sites because that’s where he feels safe. We prefer the sites with strict dogs on leads rules because elsewhere people think it’s lovely to let their dogs roam…..if they come near our van, we‘d end up with a dog fight as ours is scared of dogs and goes into survival mode…. After a couple of days walking he refuses to leave the van (but that’s because we work so his routine is play weekends and sleep all day in the week). he can’t jump footpath styles and he’s too heavy for me to pick up so walking can be restricted. He gets foot sore due to a condition with his feet and he’s petrified of towns so we sit around in the van a lot……not how we imagined van life! Of course, many dogs are great in a van, just not ours!

Hello dog lovers.

N.

We have a 7 year old boy and a 4 year old basset hound, in our ocean she generally sleeps on the passenger seat even though we have a bed and crate for her.
She quite happily sits watching the world go by with an extendable lead attached to a dog stake.
The trips do tend to revolve around the little one and dog and occasionally can be stressful but at other times can be loads of fun.
I used to have lots of hair before having a child and dog. Read into that what you want.

We have 2 girls (10&11 years old), a Labrador, a rough collie and a cocker poo. All fine travelling and sleeping in the Cali. We use a driveway awning for longer stays.

Be careful when you say you are getting an allergy free dog, they don’t exist. Many of these are crosses with poodles, which have low dander that can cause allergies, BUT, and it’s a big but, you could still be allergic to any dog. I have dogs that don’t moult ( Hungarian Pumi,) but my husband is allergic to their saliva ( as he was with our previous dogs a cocker spaniel). I know of too many ‘allergy free’ dogs that have been rehomed.

This is Henry he is our 5 year old cockerpoo.
He has been around Europe and and on every Cali trip we've had since 2017 with out daughter who is now 15.
He doesn't malt but he does tend to think the bed is his.
There are plenty of dog friendly sites, pubs etc
IMG_240B9E066733-1.jpeg

We have a 13 year old Jack Russel who is low maintenance for a dog who we take with us in the Cali when we go camping in the uk on weekends. We also have 2 boys around ages 6/7. It’s fine with the dog, but it does make things more complicated in my opinion. When we go away for a week I try and leave him with friends. It’s so much easier. You always have to be thinking about him… he likes to go for a mooch around peoples tents and campers looking for food, you are never quite sure if he is going to wee on someone’s tent or do a number 2 and not seeing it then someone calling you over saying your dog has done one near their camper and can you clean it up…. So we keep him tethered and then as he walk around the chairs he tangles himself up in them…. It’s fine… it’s just a hassle. And great when you don’t need to think about it.

So if you have time in your life for more complication great, go for it. If not it’s not worth it in my view.

Hi @Neilos
Hi, like the idea if the collapsible crate. Please can you send me some details.

Thank you - exactly what we were looking for.

No kids here but van holiday perfect for dogs. Best thing was D ring anchors purchased from club shop and crash proof harnesses bought online. Big labrador tethered to floor to travel behind front seats, little labrador on back seat with seat belt through harness. D rings good for thethering on site too. They are amenable dogs and love camping. Enough room for big boy to sleep behind front seat even when downstairs bed out. Little one sleeps on bed. Can't comment on allergy but our dogs make holidays more enjoyable. We have a mud daddy for washing them but try not to get them dirty.

Be careful with ’nylon’ collapsible crate in heat….I simply used a wire crate…more ventilation but could still put a damp towel on top to cool it if required

I have a thirteen week golden retriever. I got him at the end of December with the hope he will be ready to come on trips with my seven year old daughter and I in the summer. So far he hates travelling and keeps being sick on journeys! I really hope he grows out of it soon - I love him and my van equally . My elder children are allergic to some dogs but for some reason they are fine with him - maybe he’s too young. I’m interested in the replies here - does make me feel I made the right decision - if I can just get through these difficult weeks.....

I have a thirteen week golden retriever. I got him at the end of December with the hope he will be ready to come on trips with my seven year old daughter and I in the summer. So far he hates travelling and keeps being sick on journeys! I really hope he grows out of it soon - I love him and my van equally . My elder children are allergic to some dogs but for some reason they are fine with him - maybe he’s too young. I’m interested in the replies here - does make me feel I made the right decision - if I can just get through these difficult weeks.....
We have a now 7 year old retriever, when she was a pup, she was extremely prone to travel sickness but we found absolutely fine if she travelled on an empty stomach. To this day, if she eats and travels in the car (and retrievers are food hoovers!) she will get sick - maybe worth trying if this makes a difference.

We have a fabric crate and she and our other dog (little collie type who has no such sensitive tummy issues!) are perfect in it, and hoping to use the same when we finally get our Cali.