Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increasing privacy so installed 5% (Limo) window tint. North Wales.

Thanks for much for sharing this it looks brilliant. Could I just ask two things?

1. what’s the quality of the tint like close up?does it still look OEM as if it was done at the factory or are there tell tale signs like bubbling or any edges that don’t match up e.g in the sliding windows

2. Do you know what the longevity for something like this is? What is it goes wrong - can it be peeled of in a couple of years?

Sorry for my formulaic questions format. I’m kinder than this suggests I promise.

thanks and all the best
No worries - I like to get all the information I can before a decision too.

1. The quality looks very good but I guess that’s dependent on the fitter. For the first 24-48 hours there’s still some slight residual moisture in some places towards the edges, particularly around the OEM bobbles edges framing each window but running a micro fibre cloth over them a couple of times on the following day, plus general evaporation sorts this out. To help the finish be as good as possible you would benefit from scrupulously cleaning the inside of each window to be tinted before taking it in. The fitter will do the same but it can’t hurt to be well prepared. I would describe the quality as 99% of OEM. I suffer a touch of OCD so I’ve got my nose up to examine every corner and there’s a couple of windows where a mm or two daylight can be seen - both of mine on the sliding door (one of which the sliding window). You’ve really got to look though. All others are perfect.

2. Time will tell but I’ve had the family SUV done 2 years ago and that still looks great despite the kids best efforts. It’s pretty resilient stuff but you should be particularly careful, I’d imagine, with loading ‘sharp’ objects onto the parcel shelf if there’s a risk of them contacting the rear window(s). Stuff like pushchairs, awning poles etc. It’s fine for normal wear and tear with brushing against it and grubby fingers but would likely scratch under those conditions. And yes, if required it can be peeled off and replaced if you want to change it up or sell etc

One possible advantage (yet to prove out) was experienced on Saturday with 4 of us eating fish and chips in the van. Zero condensation on any of the windows with tint but visible condensation on all 3 front windows.... haven’t camped out in it yet to prove the theory but perhaps the thermal properties have an added benefit there (accepting that it doesn’t reduce the amount of moisture in the air - it’ll just move/condense somewhere else)

I've had mine on Alfie for 3 1/2 years and it's proved to be pretty scratch proof. The only problem area is where Max, the dog, looks out of the window when we are travelling. It gets a lot of doggie moisture and a patch of around 2" square is quite stained.

No worries - I like to get all the information I can before a decision too.

1. The quality looks very good but I guess that’s dependent on the fitter. For the first 24-48 hours there’s still some slight residual moisture in some places towards the edges, particularly around the OEM bobbles edges framing each window but running a micro fibre cloth over them a couple of times on the following day, plus general evaporation sorts this out. To help the finish be as good as possible you would benefit from scrupulously cleaning the inside of each window to be tinted before taking it in. The fitter will do the same but it can’t hurt to be well prepared. I would describe the quality as 99% of OEM. I suffer a touch of OCD so I’ve got my nose up to examine every corner and there’s a couple of windows where a mm or two daylight can be seen - both of mine on the sliding door (one of which the sliding window). You’ve really got to look though. All others are perfect.

2. Time will tell but I’ve had the family SUV done 2 years ago and that still looks great despite the kids best efforts. It’s pretty resilient stuff but you should be particularly careful, I’d imagine, with loading ‘sharp’ objects onto the parcel shelf if there’s a risk of them contacting the rear window(s). Stuff like pushchairs, awning poles etc. It’s fine for normal wear and tear with brushing against it and grubby fingers but would likely scratch under those conditions. And yes, if required it can be peeled off and replaced if you want to change it up or sell etc

One possible advantage (yet to prove out) was experienced on Saturday with 4 of us eating fish and chips in the van. Zero condensation on any of the windows with tint but visible condensation on all 3 front windows.... haven’t camped out in it yet to prove the theory but perhaps the thermal properties have an added benefit there (accepting that it doesn’t reduce the amount of moisture in the air - it’ll just move/condense somewhere else)
The non-cab windows use a different glass type to the cab windscreen / side windows, thermal glass or double glazing. So less likely to attract Condensation with or without any tint film.

Remember to use the window blinds at night....

When your interior lights are on, your privacy glass is no longer private!

Back