Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Film on factory tint - VLT tint percentages

S

stim

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
There are several threads on window tinting, but I could not find a specific answer to this question...

I have a Beach with factory tint but, like others, I don't find it dark enough. Does anyone have any idea of the VLT (visible light transmission) percentage of the factory window tint? I would like to achieve quite a dark tint but not full limo (so as not to make it too dark inside) so I am trying to figure out what percentage tint to add to the factory tint to achieve this.

If anyone has added a film tint to their factory tint, what percentage did you go for and how did it turn out?

Thanks a lot!

There are several threads on window tinting, but I could not find a specific answer to this question...

I have a Beach with factory tint but, like others, I don't find it dark enough. Does anyone have any idea of the VLT (visible light transmission) percentage of the factory window tint? I would like to achieve quite a dark tint but not full limo (so as not to make it too dark inside) so I am trying to figure out what percentage tint to add to the factory tint to achieve this.

If anyone has added a film tint to their factory tint, what percentage did you go for and how did it turn out?

Thanks a lot!
I had the same question and searched on the whole internet without an answer. Our Coast was deliverd last month with the standard factory tint, as an extra for our long wait. In the beginning, I was disappointed, because we ordered no tint for putting a kind of limotint aftermarket. Finally, our dealer arranged a supplementary tint on the original greenish factory tint. He said that the tinting enterprise has put a 85% tint as supplement. The result is that from the outside you can't see through the windows, but inside it is still very clear and you can see everything, even in bad weather. This week, I even mailed my dealer to say that the window tint is just excellent now. Really very useful (ex. you can even sit on the portapotti during daytime) and also very nice from outside. We love it ! We didn't put the extra tint on the rear window.

Thanks a lot!
I don't think window tints like that, what I mean you don't add a 60% tint to the existing tint 30% to make a 90%. I had mine tinted 90% which I am happy with at night however with internal lights on you can see inside, daylight not possible.

085AC9A9-9FDA-4419-ACE1-50899EC6A7A0_1_201_a.jpeg

87BE0385-A75A-488D-9E35-4F42CE91E0E0.jpeg

I added full ceramic tint to the rear and 2nd tint level to front doors.
Rear is more light comfortable in daylight, no sense of being in the dark.
Most cars now have that level in the back.
Front actually looks lighter than many production cars.

I had the same question and searched on the whole internet without an answer. Our Coast was deliverd last month with the standard factory tint, as an extra for our long wait. In the beginning, I was disappointed, because we ordered no tint for putting a kind of limotint aftermarket. Finally, our dealer arranged a supplementary tint on the original greenish factory tint. He said that the tinting enterprise has put a 85% tint as supplement. The result is that from the outside you can't see through the windows, but inside it is still very clear and you can see everything, even in bad weather. This week, I even mailed my dealer to say that the window tint is just excellent now. Really very useful (ex. you can even sit on the portapotti during daytime) and also very nice from outside. We love it ! We didn't put the extra tint on the rear window.
Great thanks for the info. Do you know if that is 85% VLT (i.e. 85% of the light is let through) or 85% of light is blocked (i.e. 15% VLT). The 2 would give vastly different results!

I don't think window tints like that, what I mean you don't add a 60% tint to the existing tint 30% to make a 90%. I had mine tinted 90% which I am happy with at night however with internal lights on you can see inside, daylight not possible.
No, you cannot just add the tints because if you could then end up with more than 100% light blocked, which would create a black hole I think.

My thinking is that if the factory tint is, for example, 50% light transmission (i.e 50% light blocked) and you added another 30% film (i.e. 70% blocked) on the inside, your result would be that you would be blocking 70% of the remaining 50% that is getting through the factory tint. The resulting percentage would therefore be: 100% - 50% - 35% (which is 70% of 50) = 15% light transmission.

Did you have your 90% (I assume 10% VLT) tint added to a factory tint?

Thanks all for the replies so far...

No, you cannot just add the tints because if you could then end up with more than 100% light blocked, which would create a black hole I think.

My thinking is that if the factory tint is, for example, 50% light transmission (i.e 50% light blocked) and you added another 30% film (i.e. 70% blocked) on the inside, your result would be that you would be blocking 70% of the remaining 50% that is getting through the factory tint. The resulting percentage would therefore be: 100% - 50% - 35% (which is 70% of 50) = 15% light transmission.

Did you have your 90% (I assume 10% VLT) tint added to a factory tint?

Thanks all for the replies so far...
Yes I did, go to your local tinter they will show you the effect of different tints.

Back