Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insanity or freedom?

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Having always tent camped in France in the past we made sure we where booked up for the whole of our stay. We would invariably then want to change our plans because of the weather or because we wanted to explore rather than stay put. Wth tents this was always difficult as packing and unpacking was such a pain - not to mention losing money by changing.

Since we have got our Cali we wanted to try and be a bit freer (midlife crisis, 4 kids....) and just head off on a bit of a road trip through France for the week. We have booked the Eurotunnel and the first night just south of Calais but where planning to play it by ear from there. From July 22...

Our setup is just Cali plus small pup tent. I know 'on paper' that in high summer everything gets booked up - but was wondering in reality what people's experience is of just turning up/ calling ahead in the morning and being accommodated was.

We like the idea of drawing our names out of a hat to set an order for everyone in the family than each day the person whose turn it is can chose whether we stick (stay put) or twist (move on to wherever they chose). Not sure what the effect of a democratised holiday will be yet.

Any advice ranging from "You are mad, just book something, to "That is what we always do" very gratefully received.

There are many, many thousands of campsites in France, if you want to stay on a beach front pitch on a prime site or within walking distance of a big attraction, then yes you will have to book in high season, but otherwise there will always be somewhere to go and this is how you find the little gems.
Keep it flexible, that to us is the beauty of Cali life.

We've just been staying at a great campsite in Annecy and there were plenty of spare pitches, so I reckon you'll be fine.

Plus with the cali, electric hookup is not essential for a few nights so they will generally find you a space somewhere even the proper pitches are full.

We have only been turned away once and that was in the South and we had 3 vehicles wanting to pitch together. We simply moved up the road and were in the next one.

The main thing is not to stress over it and waste half day planning which site you are going to next otherwise your holiday will be dominated by where you might or might got go.

The last tip I would say is, have a look at the surroundings and facilities before you commit to stay as we once booked a site turned up and it was predominantly a "residential" site with a recently mowed field for campers and the toilet block had not been cleaned for 3 months in my opinion. We drove around once and promptly moved on to a very nice site on the other side of town.

It depends, for me, on how robust the children are.

Babies, definitely book, older then go for it, teenagers, like when mine we're teenagers, tempted at times to dump them by the side of the road and carry on

The Cali gives you anywhere within a 200 mile radius first thing in the morning, no problem.

Fantastic replies. Thank you, mind made up to just go for it. (Kids are 10 (b) 13 (g) 15 (g) 17 (g) and pretty robust....when they are not at war.)

Fantastic replies. Thank you, mind made up to just go for it. (Kids are 10 (b) 13 (g) 15 (g) 17 (g) and pretty robust....when they are not at war.)
OMG your van has a potential FHO (Female Hormone Overload) I would need an EPT (Escape pup Tent) :) but, enjoy your trip..