Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Install of RCD 360 plus reversing camera - success!

J

Jimgee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
After mining the Forums for advice on this subject which gave me limited useful info, I finally decided to strike out on my own and work out how to install a reversing camera myself.

I have an aftermarket/VW clone RCD 360 plus on my 2010 California SE T5.1 bought from Travelin-Lite and wanted to have rear coverage for reversing when I have a tow-bar bike rack on (the reversing sensors being disabled when the rack is on). I bought Travelin-Lite's camera, which despite the product listing saying it came with full instructions came only with a wiring diagram. With the help of my two sons (on separate occasions), I completed the installation after a few hours of head-scratching and frustration.

Key points:

1. Connection to the head unit was simple - for the video signal, an additional connecting block needed to be inserted in the lever-type connector. Positive current at the head unit end came from a fuse tap into fuse no. 19 below the ashtray (the head unit fuse, I think) and routed up the back of the ashtray.
3. I decided early on to cut all plugs and a delay module from the camera's wiring loom and reconnect later as there was no way I would be able pull them through the trim/panels etc.
4. I removed the central divider and polystyrene sections from the chair storage compartment on the tailgate. This enabled me to remove only the bottom trim clips holding on the compartment and hardboard panel behind it to gain access to the back of the rear numberplate light trim where the camera is installed by drilling a hole between the two lights. By dropping the camera cables through that hole and a convenient grommet immediately behind it, I was able to pick them up at the bottom edge of the tailgate.
5. I used cable routing rods (bought on Amazon for a few quid) to pull the other end of the cables through the tailgate from the concertina rubber trunking at the top left of the tailgate and I connected them (using connecting cable taps as I'd cut them off) to the camera cables.
6. I also needed a current linked to the reversing lights so the camera is only activated in reverse and got this by pushing the cable rods down the van's rear pillar to the back of the rear light cluster and tapping into the live and ground of the reversing light (green/black for live and thick brown for ground) using positaps (supplied with the camera).
7. The routing of the cables back to the head unit was the hardest part. I took these above the wardrobe (behind the trim) and along the inside of the trim where the three lights are above the kitchen then above the passenger door (it's easy to remove the edge of the rubber seal and headlining), down the A pillar (no need to remove just take off grab handle and lift up the edge) and into the dash by removing the end panel with the passenger airbag switch and then behind the glovebox (held in by six screws not four as stated elsewhere).

I must admit to being slightly surprised when I put the van in reverse and hey presto, the camera works!

I hope somebody finds these instructions useful!

unnamed.jpg