Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installed Brandrup Iso-Top IV

Thanks to everyone who commented on this. I gave fitting mine a go today and it was successful thanks to all the comments and help.

Does anyone have a link to the video that's referenced? I'm going to try to fit mine tomorrow but the only videos I can find are in German. Thanks in advance!

So i’m sat on a campsite in St Agnes thinking about fitting the isotop and have just read the instructions noting that it needs to be 18deg C and the Velcro Yale has to be left for 48 hours - really?? Do I really need to do that. Realistically that would mean waiting till the summer! Any thoughts?

It was cold when I put mine on, so I used some Velcro I already had and saved the stuff that came with the topper in case it came unstuck. It hasn’t yet.

I would be inclined to take a chance, there’s not much strain on it anyway. Just make sure it’s dry and no condensation, take a fan heater up if possible to add some warmth. If it comes unstuck just buy more Velcro when the weather warms up.

No i fitted mine about 2 months ago fitted the velcro then attached the isotop 10 minutes later its still stuck ok

We fitted ours in UK, so temp wasn't great but we did leave it the stated time before moving to next step.

We have a t6 beach one that comes with the screws - my other half didn't buy into the screwing so we used just velcro and it works fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So i’m sat on a campsite in St Agnes thinking about fitting the isotop and have just read the instructions noting that it needs to be 18deg C and the Velcro Yale has to be left for 48 hours - really?? Do I really need to do that. Realistically that would mean waiting till the summer! Any thoughts?
I just ran a hot air gun, or hairdryer, slowly around the velcro to activate the adhesive, note activate. Had lunch, then fitted remainder of top.

Just an update to this thread.
I just fitted my Isotop.
@motacyclist instructions helped me alot. His additions are in brackets by the way.
This is one of those jobs where you would be 50% better at it a second time so to anyone fitting one in future take confidence that its not to difficult after all. Much of it is fear of the unknown.
I'll attempt to clear up the things I was not clear on to add to his instructions.
1) Cleaning the area for the bottom velcro strip.
You do this the whole the way round just under the bottom edge of the bellows. The aluminium strip width above a small tight radius is the obvious hint. Careful to use the tissue supplied in a way so that there is enough cleaning property left for the top strip as well. You'll be OK but there isn't much to spare as it evaporates.
2) Cleaning for the top velcro strip and circular pads.
All the way across the strip that sits at the back of the pop top head lining and into the wider corners. I'd say your 15 minutes to wait is nearly over from where you started on the bottom strip.
3) Wiping the same areas with the glue pad.
This one you need to be a little more thoughtful about getting round in a decent time before it also drys out. Set yourself up for success, I did along one bottom edge starting at a rear corner first so I had speed and accuracy with the wiping action not needing to return to any areas. I Moved on round the front and down the other side, finally along the back so I could then flip over and do the top. Even then the pad had almost had it..So this is worth rehearsing in your mind first.
4) Applying the velcro after another 15 minutes
Was pretty easy but give yourself enough slack to cut the strip at each of the 4 corners. There is about 12 inches of velcro left over when you finish. You have to slot it under the wire for the led light at the back end so you don't want lots of backing strip and coils of velcro in the way. I guess you could start here slipping it about an inch under the wire and work round to your first rear corner and then along an edge, then front so that when you finally get back to finish where you started you don't have loads of slack coils in your way. (I didn't do that...just an after thought).
The top velcro doesn't need cutting, the ends are shaped to match the edge of the white nylon blocks at each end but you do velcro over the plastic box on the wiring. Then the velcro corner circles are slightly fiddly thats all.
5) I left this overnight.
It says 48 hours but I don't know who has that sort of patience? Many have fitted within the hour from what I have read.
6) Next I was expecting to find 5 big velcro attachments for the front and 2 small ones for the rear corners. The latest one does not have any for the rear, the corners have a bit stitched in that is a triangle for want of a better description that slots behind headlining.
This is very fiddly and tight to get in position though but more about that when we get to it.
Slotting in the 5 pads on the front was easier than I'd read. Find the middle for the first one (I had the roof raised but not fully so I could reach. The bellows flap in your face but no real issue. Just to confirm 23.5cm is the measurement of the gap between them (not centre to centre. I feared the translation may have broken down but it hasn't) and if you do get it slightly wrong I was able to drag the pads left or right just a small amount (3 or 4mm in my case).
7) I just wouldn't have known where to start with attaching the bottom velcro like the instructions flippantly say to attach.
So I put the 2 top edge plastic blades that are stitched into the lining into the slots in the bellow stiffening strips and velcro'd the lining through the safety net eyelets. This gave me some idea of positioning. Next I velcro'd the front edge to those 5 pads.
8) I then went round and fixed the bottom velco but on reflection I would probably try to locate those fiddly top rear corners next. I employed a teaspoon handle to get the thing started and I think you may still need something like this but a hunch says it will be easier while the bottom velcro is not attached. plus now its all hanging roughly in position. So at this point with the corners fitted I'd do top rear velcro.
9) No problems with the front velcro ties for the front window opening.
10) No problems with attaching the bottom velcro, just take your time and get it neat.
Job done.
I'd allow 1.5 hours for the cleaning and gluing velcro strips and about the same for fitting the 5 pads and the lining,

Overall the result is OK. I wish the top sides were as neat as the bottom but can't see a way you could modify without doing something that will leave permanent visible traces should you ever remove the isotop. Looks better than in photographs:thumb

Last edited:
On a Beach the front 2 tabs that need screwing to the roof are supposed to be 4cm inset from the side according to the picture. I want to put them closer to the side, around 2 cm in, not 4. Anyone done this? Obviously don't want to damage the roof. Cheers.

Anyone? :)

Reason for asking is that the front of the liner will line up better if the velcro tabs are only inset 2cm rather than 4cm. I can see Borris mentioned this in an earlier post on the thead, but he didn't want to risk damaging the roof by changing the measurements. Anyone fixed the tabs closer to the side than 4cm?

On a Beach the front 2 tabs that need screwing to the roof are supposed to be 4cm inset from the side according to the picture. I want to put them closer to the side, around 2 cm in, not 4. Anyone done this? Obviously don't want to damage the roof. Cheers.
There are 3 tabs on the beach version, centre and two sides. They line up with the isotop which has small sections of velcro ilke material at the top, not a continuous strip. If you move the tabs it wont hang right or be taught. Its worthwhile lining them up with the actual fabric to get the distances right.

Hi Matt, yes done that and it lines up better if the 2 corner tabs are closer to the edge than 4 cm. Boris found the same thing in his post earlier in this thread.

Front tabs were fine to fit, anyone got some suggestions as to how you get the rear top bits under the roof at the corners????

Front tabs were fine to fit, anyone got some suggestions as to how you get the rear top bits under the roof at the corners????
I found that the worst bit! Once you get it hooked over the headliner corner it was a matter of a gentle wiggle to persuade it along.

We had the same issue, getting it around the back top corners is nearly impossible! It is up and sort of round but not very secure or neat currently.

Found a solution......slid the tape measure under the corner of the roof liner....my husband pulled down on the tape measure giving us a mm or sogap, while jiggled the material underneath....went in a treat..... Now just looking forward to trying it out next weekend! Hope the weather is as lovely as this weekend....

I used 2 laminated business cards, inserted 1, then had another with the tab behind it and inserted up into the roof. Then just held the tab in place and removed one card at a time. I am told English £10 note (plastic) is good for it too.

I used 2 laminated business cards, inserted 1, then had another with the tab behind it and inserted up into the roof. Then just held the tab in place and removed one card at a time. I am told English £10 note (plastic) is good for it too.
Credit cards work as well (also handy for spreading glue) .

We had the same issue, getting it around the back top corners is nearly impossible! It is up and sort of round but not very secure or neat currently.
Try the tape measure and a steady pull down, it gives enough space to slip it under....

Very late to this but we’ve literally just installed our ISO-TOP.
Having done all your lower edge Velcro 48 hours earlier, first remove the whole front panel from the rest of the lining. Attach the upper roof Velcro strips to the child safety net fixings as per section 5 of the instructions. Then lie on your back with your head towards the back of the van, lay out the liner around you and START WITH those corners at the back. You can quite easily hook the fabric around the corners of the roof of the van when the fabric is not attached anywhere else by Velcro. Then edge forward attaching the fabric to Velcro top and bottom on both sides. Finally add front panel.
Obviously, we didn’t do it in this order initially...

Reviving an old thread, anyone know if the position of the isotop fixings have changed over the years? would an isotop that fitted a T5.1 fit a T6.1 albeit it would only have the normal arched window in the isotop.

Thinking about it the only fixings that could possibly move are the side roof folding struts with the pockets in them for the bit of plastic insert from the isotop & the loops for the safety net.

Given that the shop that cant be mentioned, Camper********* sells the isotop V for T5,T6 and T6.1 I assume nothing has moved. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Reviving an old thread, anyone know if the position of the isotop fixings have changed over the years? would an isotop that fitted a T5.1 fit a T6.1 albeit it would only have the normal arched window in the isotop.

Thinking about it the only fixings that could possibly move are the side roof folding struts with the pockets in them for the bit of plastic insert from the isotop & the loops for the safety net.

Given that the shop that cant be mentioned, Camper********* sells the isotop V for T5,T6 and T6.1 I assume nothing has moved. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Brandrup list the isotop Mk V as suitable for T5 / T6 and T6.1 if that helps.
Same part number for all. Only differs if you have manual roof.

Back