Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Instrument panel illumination.

S

Snowball1935

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My panel does not light up until I turn the switch to “headlights”. I believe, with the ignition switched on, the panel should light up when the switch is turned to the “sidelights” position. I feel sure that on the odd occasion the panel has briefly illuminated, then dimmed and gone out in this position of the switch. My road lights switch does not have the ‘auto’ position, but that should not affect the manual switching.
The problem has been reported to my VW Service Dept., but the technician told me that all their similar vehicles which he tried on the forecourt (he claims to have checked them) behave in the same manner. There is no point in contacting VW Customer Services, as they simply advise you to go back to one of their authorised service centres.
I would appreciate comments from any owners to confirm or deny whether their vehicles behave similarly.
Many thanks.

Might be a bit obvious, but have you tried turning up the illumination button to max.....it’s this one...

1584355015424.jpeg

Actually, just re-read your post.

nipped out and tried in my van....panel only lights up with Head lights, not side side lights. So what VW say is correct.

Thanks for that, Moakesy. Not what I wanted to hear, but does confirm that no fault present. To be honest, the set up does not make sense to me. There are dull times, particularly on roads with heavy shade, when it pays to switch on the side lights. These, in conjunction with the DRLs, make for safer driving and illumination of the instrument panel is certainly a safety need in these conditions. The panel lights on my two previous VW Tourans worked with the sidelights, so why have VW changed things.
I will be asking the service dept to change the sequence, even by fitting a switch in one of the dashboard blanks to give manual operation of the panel lights if there is no other way.

Thanks for that, Moakesy. Not what I wanted to hear, but does confirm that no fault present. To be honest, the set up does not make sense to me. There are dull times, particularly on roads with heavy shade, when it pays to switch on the side lights. These, in conjunction with the DRLs, make for safer driving and illumination of the instrument panel is certainly a safety need in these conditions. The panel lights on my two previous VW Tourans worked with the sidelights, so why have VW changed things.
I will be asking the service dept to change the sequence, even by fitting a switch in one of the dashboard blanks to give manual operation of the panel lights if there is no other way.
Not as simple as that I'm afraid. Everything controlled by the onboard computer now.
Side Lights are now basically Parking Lights .

So not a simple task, but I will still make some enquiries before I accept that changing things is not possible.

It's normal. If you want your instruments lit. Just put the headlights on. It's OK to drive like that in all conditions. The Germans generally now drive with them on. Especially on the high speed autobahn so maybe it makes sense over there to remind you to put them on.

Why would you ever want to drive (be moving) with just sidelights on? In fact it could be construed as an offence to drive in conditions which you consider 'poor visibility' without having headlights on.
Don't the DRLs switch off when the side lights are switched on? That is how I read the following https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights but it is a bit ambiguous.

If your VW is equipped with automatic headlights they will come on in any poor lighting condition confirming my point above that this should be the norm.

My panel does not light up until I turn the switch to “headlights”. I believe, with the ignition switched on, the panel should light up when the switch is turned to the “sidelights” position. I feel sure that on the odd occasion the panel has briefly illuminated, then dimmed and gone out in this position of the switch. My road lights switch does not have the ‘auto’ position, but that should not affect the manual switching.
The problem has been reported to my VW Service Dept., but the technician told me that all their similar vehicles which he tried on the forecourt (he claims to have checked them) behave in the same manner. There is no point in contacting VW Customer Services, as they simply advise you to go back to one of their authorised service centres.
I would appreciate comments from any owners to confirm or deny whether their vehicles behave similarly.
Many thanks.
It appears that driving with just the side lights on, which is actually driving with the parking lights on, is a traffic violation for which you can be fined. Use the headlights...sidelights (parking lights) are prohibited when driving because they send a message to other drivers that you are parked.

DRL's go out from the moment you turn the knob. Side lights we don't have here, only parking lights and they are illegal to drive with. Just don't forget, while you are running DRL's, your rear lights are not working!! So if the light dimms too much, switch to dipped headlights! This will shut your DRL's, but turn on the side lights too.
Just like running front fog lights if the visibility is over 50!!! meters. Most people think front fog lights are a way to show something?? Don't know what.
I have them too, and I only put them on when I put on my rear fog light (double pull on the light switch), which is near to never.
The only time I switch on my dipped headlights, high beams AND front fog lights is while driving on dark country roads. Then I have enough visibility up front, and the side of the road is also illuminated. As soon as I see one coming my way, I put out all the lights but the dipped headlights.

And please turn off your rear fog lights too when there is someone behind you, less than 100 meters!!!! And within the city limits! Thank you. If not, you have my high beams in your rearview mirror (I mean this!). And for "normal" cars, this is right in your rearview mirror. :mad:

DRL's go out from the moment you turn the knob. Side lights we don't have here, only parking lights and they are illegal to drive with. Just don't forget, while you are running DRL's, your rear lights are not working!! So if the light dimms too much, switch to dipped headlights! This will shut your DRL's, but turn on the side lights too.
Just like running front fog lights if the visibility is over 50!!! meters. Most people think front fog lights are a way to show something?? Don't know what.
I have them too, and I only put them on when I put on my rear fog light (double pull on the light switch), which is near to never.
The only time I switch on my dipped headlights, high beams AND front fog lights is while driving on dark country roads. Then I have enough visibility up front, and the side of the road is also illuminated. As soon as I see one coming my way, I put out all the lights but the dipped headlights.

And please turn off your rear fog lights too when there is someone behind you, less than 100 meters!!!! And within the city limits! Thank you. If not, you have my high beams in your rearview mirror (I mean this!). And for "normal" cars, this is right in your rearview mirror. :mad:
Rear fog lights at night in the rain...... :mad::headbang

And please turn off your rear fog lights too when there is someone behind you, less than 100 meters!!!!
Errrmm..
The rule is that when you cannot see 50metres in front of you,
only then should you deploy the fog lights.
This is a German rule but as we all know the German rules do make
sense.
Like, you can drive as fast as you like on some parts of the Autobahn but
please don't get in the way especially with your fog lights.

The belgian rules are :
A car must be fitted with one or two rear fog lights, which must be switched on in the event of:
  1. fog, if visibility is less than approximately 100 meters,
  2. snow, if visibility is less than approximately 100 meters,
  3. heavy rain, in Belgium you are obliged to use them.
The regulations do not say that they must be turned off if a car follows within 100 m.

That is true, but how do you like it to be blinded by those lights?
If you can see one in front and/or one behind you, there is no need for fog lights.

Most don't know the rules.

"De voormistlichten mogen slechts gebruikt worden bij mist, sneeuwval of felle regen. Zij mogen de dimlichten of de grootlichten vervangen, of gelijktijdig met deze lichten branden.

Achteraan, de rode lichten. Bovendien, wanneer het voertuig voorzien is van achtermistlichten, moeten deze lichten gebruikt worden bij mist of sneeuwval die de zichtbaarheid verminderen tot minder dan 100 m alsook bij felle regen. Deze lichten mogen in geen andere omstandigheden gebruikt worden."

Front fog lights may only be used in fog, snowfall or heavy rain.
Back fog light(s) at 100m visibility or less. They are forbidden in any other circumstances.

So, no fog lights in normal dark conditions.