Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 internal lights

D

Deekay

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Morning all,
I have had a California T6.1 for a few months. When I open it and turn on the ignition the two internal lights (not the central one) come on above the kitchen units and wont switch off either manually or via the overhead control panel so we have to drive around with those two lights illuminated. Best we can do is dim them down via the control panel. When arriving home and ignition off, they stay on unless switched off at the control panel. Like they have a mind of their own. Had the Cali in at Preston (bought at Liverpool) but they have been unable to resolve. Any ideas? Thanks.

I would remove the power to the control unit for those lights and reset it.

Hey Loz! Where is the control unit, and how is this done? I have a similar issue

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

You've probably already tried this, but just in case, there is a switch above the cab which affects the behaviour of these lights when the doors are opened. It is the one marked 'rear' in the picture. Make sure it is in the position shown.switch.jpg

I would remove the power to the control unit for those lights and reset it.
Thanks Loz, sounds logical. Anyone know where the control unit is for those specific lights?

Hi Rololux, thank you for this advice which has worked first time. Simples! There ends much head scratching and furrowed brow over many weeks. I live in Preston but bought the Cali T6.1 from Liverpool as they offered me a good deal way before the first lock-down. Took the Cali into Preston to sort out this light issue out and some other defects (two windscreen blinds had huge creases in both of them and the small drawer under the rock and roll seat would not engage to lock properly and a couple of other matters). Preston did a good job in solving those issues but did not find this 'fix' for the internal lights. Have to say I am disappointed such an obvious 'fix' was not found and explained to me. I had assumed all the internal light functions were operated from the overhead touch screen and manual buttons on the lights themselves so really my own fault. Thanks again. Kind regards, David.

Hi Rololux, thank you for this advice which has worked first time. Simples! There ends much head scratching and furrowed brow over many weeks. I live in Preston but bought the Cali T6.1 from Liverpool as they offered me a good deal way before the first lock-down. Took the Cali into Preston to sort out this light issue out and some other defects (two windscreen blinds had huge creases in both of them and the small drawer under the rock and roll seat would not engage to lock properly and a couple of other matters). Preston did a good job in solving those issues but did not find this 'fix' for the internal lights. Have to say I am disappointed such an obvious 'fix' was not found and explained to me. I had assumed all the internal light functions were operated from the overhead touch screen and manual buttons on the lights themselves so really my own fault. Thanks again. Kind regards, David.
Glad to be of service :)

I’m totally bewildered why the entire van lights up like a christmas tree when i open the cab door. I shall have a look at that rear switch.

Does anyone know how to stop the rear accommodation lights coming on everytime you open the cab door in the T6.1 It’s driving me potty. It’s totally unnecessary when you are on the road in the broad daylight.

I’m totally bewildered why the entire van lights up like a christmas tree when i open the cab door. I shall have a look at that rear switch.

Does anyone know how to stop the rear accommodation lights coming on everytime you open the cab door in the T6.1 It’s driving me potty. It’s totally unnecessary when you are on the road in the broad daylight.
See post #4

Might be worth going to the overhead control panel and select 'camping mode'. It has its own symbol (not under lights). Allows you to de-activate the lights inside when you open the doors so as not to disturb others at night. Check out Youtube vlog from Cali Chris at Liverpool Van Centre.

If you had owned an earlier SE or Ocean you would be glad to see them. Biggest pain on an older van was no lights coming on when you open the slider at night.

Just use the switch by the mirror to keep them turned off if you don't want them on.

Might be worth going to the overhead control panel and select 'camping mode'. It has its own symbol (not under lights). Allows you to de-activate the lights inside when you open the doors so as not to disturb others at night. Check out Youtube vlog from Cali Chris at Liverpool Van Centre.
Apologies, just realised, I thought you meant they were all coming on (Christmas tree)! I agree, overhead switch by the mirror.

Yes. It’s ok now. Just turned on Camping mode. I’m a T6.1 noob and also suffer with a bit of techphobia oh and the total dyslexia when confronted with a user manual.

Yes. It’s ok now. Just turned on Camping mode. I’m a T6.1 noob and also suffer with a bit of techphobia oh and the total dyslexia when confronted with a user manual.
I know that feeling!

Hi, trying to find the vid vlog you mention from cali chris... please could you send me a link to that vid? thank you, marek

Hi, trying to find the vid vlog you mention from cali chris... please could you send me a link to that vid? thank you, marek
Hi Marek, not too good with IT stuff links etc but I found it by searching 'cali chris internal lights youtube' on Google and it was about seventh down and 'camping mode' was in the title of the vlog. Chris puts some really interesting useful info on youtube. Hope this helps, I must go on an IT course!!