Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance & occasional paid business mileage

Seaview

Seaview

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I need some advice please having just been on the phone to the NFU for over an hour taking all my details for them to turn around and say they don't do Business use on a motorhome. Wish the operator would have known this as he knew what vehicle I had within the first couple of minutes including my business use requirement!!! (He only found out they don't do Business usage on a Cali when we had a query that he put to the adjusters.)

Some background ..... I'm currently insured with Comfort and have had no claims or problems. However, having taken a year off work I've gone back three days per week. The plan is my husband will take the Cali and I will drive our other vehicle as I have the longer commute although I may on occasion drive the Cali. The sticking point came when I said that the company I work for would pay me a mileage rate should I have to go to one of our other sites or visit a client (talking short distances) I don't envisage this being a weekly event but wanted Business Class 1 to ensure both myself and husband were covered. Comfort have confirmed they can do Business class 1 no problem BUT NOT if you get a mileage allowance from your employer. In this case they are saying it crosses over to commercial insurance.

Surely, I am not the only person who's employer offers to a mileage rate, I would have thought it fairly common. Any advice how others get around this would be much appreciated as I need to re-insure today.

I have just insurred through Comfort with business use, much like what you are doing. I get a millage rate but this was not mentioned when I spoke to Comfort. So I assume I will be fine, if I have a need to claim it will be before I claim for my millage.

I can't answer definitively but I'd suggest you're okay there. What you're talking about is mileage reimbursement ("getting your petrol back") on a casual basis, as opposed to a regular car allowance.

In my role a car is deemed an essential requirement by the company & they'll provide me with either a lease 'company' car, or a monthly allowance in lieu if I choose to make my own arrangements - it's stipulated I must then have my own business-use motor insurance.

Your role sounds to be non-essential use, often companies pay two different pence-per-mile rates to distinguish & you'll get the higher rate.

Double-check though, it's vital to have the correct cover & it's worth it to eliminate the stress alone!

Last edited:
I am sure there are lots of people out there who have Business use and are paid a mileage rate but unfortunately I mentioned it as I wanted valid insurance.

Yes, I do get the higher mileage rate, so not essential mileage. I have discussed this further with Comfort as I believe if getting paid mileage would invalidate Business insurance then the question should be asked by their staff.

I am self employed and occasionally need to use the Cali for business travel, I went through Adrian Flux, who got me a motorhome insurance with AXA with that level of business use, i.e., not just commuting to and from the same place.

Did you mention to them if you get paid a mileage allowance?

Last edited:
Did you mention to them if you get paid a mileage allowance?
It covers me for all business use.

On my previous employer role I was in the same situation as you; normally working at one location, which was counted as commuting, but also needing to attend meetings, or supervise staff at other locations, or turnout from home when on-call, these journeys were business use. I was able to claim mileage, but the business use is irrespective of payment.
I also had to prove the appropriate business cover. The mileage allowance is intended to contribute to fuel, running costs and insurance.

Adrian Flux did the research, based on my information, several insurers would not do Cali + business use, but AXA did. Others have reported similar difficulties to you, but got fixed up with other insurers.

Last edited:
I'll keep Adrian Flux in mind for the future. For now we have a work around, I'm going to drive another to work.

I use admiral - Cali Beach but with Business Use - reasonably cheap and good level of cover although no 'new for old'. My policy expires in a month so about to go through quoting for renewals.

@DAN@ADRIANFLUX is there a best number to ring on and code to quote for being a VIP member? I did try Adrian Flux when I bought the van last year but was told initially that you didn't cover the beach, then when I challenged I was told that you couldn't get me reasonable cover (it was thousands of pounds vs £350). Very happy to give you a try again but want to make sure I talk to the right person.

Thanks,

Jez

Renewal time - Beach conundrum raises its head again...
Adrian Flux have provided cover for business use for me, commuting only for Mrs. S - Business for both doubled the cost - but that will do. There has been an insurance hike, caused mainly by the higher than expected mileage (it's just too good not to use).
Thought I was getting cheaper with Comfort, but the online quote did not convert to a real quote - apparently I could have insured an Ocean for Business (Class 1) for over 10K miles, but only if doing less than 10K in a Beach :headbang
Then there was the discussion over what Comfort considered as Class 1 business use, informing me that I could claim mileage:talktothehand
Admiral - looked promising, but couldn't get policy wording, resorted to chat and found the contents/equipment is only £500, compared to £3500 with AXA through Adrian Flux.
Decided to stick with Adrian Flux as, frankly, they were the only ones who seemed to know what a Beach was!