Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance safety device

E

elaine

Guest User
I'm expecting my new Cali next month, and have been trying to get Insurance quotes, but I am asked what safety devices it has e.g. immobaliser and if it has one, is it Thatchem approved as this evidently halves the insurance, I've been all through the brouchure and have not found any mention of one, is this something I have to have fitted? Can anyone help? Hope this is not a dumb blond question

Hi,

I think if you search the forum you'll find specific details but UK vans are fitted with a Cat 1 Alarm and Immobilisor from the factory.

http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/compliance.pdf

See a link to a document on the Thatcham website which is dated October 2012.
It lists the security systems which are Cat 1 approved and I quote;

"The vehicle security systems listed in this document have been evaluated by the Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre at Thatcham as directed by the Insurance Industry's Steering Group. Evaluation against "The British Insurance Industry's Criteria for Vehicle Security", supported by "Performance Test Specifications", has indicated that the security systems are judged to comply with the said Criteria and are thus listed subject to a review after twelve calendar months. The list will be updated as and when further security systems are judged to have successfully complied with the Criteria."

If you look at page 19 of the PDF (page 18 if printed), the fifth entry in that table is "Volkswagen Security System 1" having Thatcham evaluation number TC2 – 1208/0301, which applies amongst others to VW California (all models) as a standard feature since Sept 2005.
The letters "R T S U/M L" mean the system has; remote, transponder, software lock, ultrasonic/microwave, central locking.

Comfort Insurance is presently advising that you also require a third party certificate as proof. I am waiting for a reply as to why they need this.