Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insuring a small runaround as well as the Cali

Nigh on impossible to reverse it more than a few meters in a straight line. Front wheels flop from side to side when any reverse lock is applied. I

Are you towing on an A frame then?

2016-08-14 12.42.30.jpg2017-12-01 16.21.11.jpg2017-12-01 16.19.55.jpg2017-12-01 16.19.33.jpg2016-04-10 19.31.23.jpg2016-03-26 17.04.30.jpg

The car has a replacement front cross member with two towing eye sockets in it. The lugs in the fourth photo screw into the towing sockets. Third is the a-frame folded as small as it goes. Last one shows the legally required reflective triangles in rear window held on by suction cups. The number plate holder opens up to allow the towing vehicle number plate to be displayed.
Law states that when towing a trailer that has power brakes they must work (a car on an a-frame is classed as a trailer). There is an electric vacuum pump that actuates the cylinder on the brake peddle when towing vehicle brakes. It uses a g force sensor & the brake lights for this. Last photo shows cylinder on the brake peddle, power switch & sensitivity adjustment
All the power for the whole unit comes from the towing vehicle. Towed vehicle should get charged whilst being towed with a split charge relay. Mine does not work as I discovered when I last towed it !!

My system came from Smart Tow check out their web site for more info. However I would not recommend them .... thats another story.

http://www.smart-tow.com/

Hope that helps & is of interest.

Last edited:
Most insurance companies will mirror your car NCB to your camper. So for our camper (3rd vehicle) it's about £250 for a new policy with Adrian Flux. That's a big benefit of a camper.

Most insurance companies will mirror your car NCB to your camper. So for our camper (3rd vehicle) it's about £250 for a new policy with Adrian Flux. That's a big benefit of a camper.

Have to disagree with you. NCB can only be used on one vehicle at once in my experience.
You can use NCB gained on any vehicle on a different vehicle.

Have to disagree with you. NCB can only be used on one vehicle at once in my experience.
You can use NCB gained on any vehicle on a different vehicle.

I called them and they do mirror NCB to a camper, after a year you can transfer to a car. It makes sense to insure a small car as the main car then the Cali could have the same NCB.

If you are starting an additional policy most insurance companies will give you an introductory NCB to match any NCB you have on your existing policy. Once underway both NCBs are totally independent of each other.

If you are starting an additional policy most insurance companies will give you an introductory NCB to match any NCB you have on your existing policy. Once underway both NCBs are totally independent of each other.
Not if new policy is with different insurer.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Good few years back when we needed a second car it was cheaper to register it in my Wife's name and she got the benefit of having been a named driver for maximum no claims benefit purposes.
Now Cali in my name and wife/spouse as named driver.
Second car in wife's name with me/spouse as named driver.

May not apply now as Insurance companies keep moving the 'goalposts'

Not if new policy is with different insurer.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Yes with a new insurer. NFU did it for me a year ago, I have previously done it with Direct Line as well.