Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insuring a Cali Beach

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
HI,

I've just called Camping and Caravanning Club's insurance to get a quotation for my Cali Beach and..... "computer says noo". Looks like they don't insure vehicles with no a kitchen, event if my V5 stated my Cali is a "MOTOR CARAVAN"

It's curious, because looks like they only insure vehicles with bed, kitchen and.... gas? So, do it means if your kitchen and parking heater works with diesel you got no a motor-home?

Have any Cali Beach owner experienced something similar? Should we attach to the side trim our portable kitchen with Velcro to get insured rather than bring it in the trunk?

Now serious </Tatrum_mode="off">... how could officially "convert" my Cali Beach to a insurance-compliant-motorhome? Will a kitchen pod work?

The point is that I've got no problem with my current insurer, Admiral, but I'd like to be able to travel abroad with no restrictions. Also would like to get a reasonable premium, my current one is "nor bad", but last gocomprare query I've made offered me as the cheapest one for 834£ (LHD, non GB license, 25000 miles a year, etc....)

computer-says-no.jpg

Adrian Flux seems to cope with 'odd' LHD can be an issue sometimes... Includes cover for awnings and camping gear in the same policy.
If you have an EU licence you could swap it for a GB one. If not an EU one, then time limits apply.

Thanks Stoneybroke.

Looks like I have to exchange my EU driving license to a GB one, not because the insurance but because the law (welcome to Europe!!). Just realized it today, so I've just sent the request to the DVLA (fortunately D1 forms are available at some Post Offices).

So far I've got a quotation from Admiral..... 866£!!! (I'm still struggling to resume breathing). I think, once I get my GB license, there is also chance with Comfort Insurance, I need to check it up, so far they also said no.

BTW, Camping and Caravanning Club's insurance and Safeguard said no just because my Cali is a Beach and cannot be covered as a motorhome, nothing to do with other expat matters (steering wheel in the right side, which is the left, non GB driving license, etc....).

There was long discussion on here a couple of months back about the Vw Beach (VWB) being wrongly categorized as a Motor Home (MH), perhaps one of our super searchers can find it.

My understanding is if you convert a panel van and want it re-categorized as a MH you have to send photographic evidence, to the DVLA, that you have permanently fitted various items--- bed, sink with fresh water supply of at least ??? litres, grey water container, cooker and other stuff I can't remember so the VWB doesn't comply with this. You then get into the grey areas that the VWB isn't a "conversion" but a Factory built vehicle so it all gets confusing and messy.

The reason people used to re-categorize their converted panel van to MH was because the Road Fund License (RFL) was cheaper then a panel van but of course the RFL is nowadays based on the emissions.

Their was also an issue with the speed limits pertaining to a panel van which for a T5 Transporter panel van are 30mph in built up areas, 50mph on single carriageways, 60mph on dual carriageways and 70 on motorways although this is another grey area due to the original construction type not being changed when re-categorized which leads to much debate and confusion, a VWB speed limits are 30, 60, 70 and 70 the same as a car.

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/a...partnership/speed/know_your_speed_limits.aspx

I don't know if this makes it any clearer for you!

BTW, Camping and Caravanning Club's insurance and Safeguard said no just because my Cali is a Beach and cannot be covered as a motorhome, nothing to do with other expat matters (steering wheel in the right side, which is the left, non GB driving license, etc....).
Confusing, I know, but Left Hand Drive (in the UK at least) refers to where the driver sits, not the side of the road driven on... So if your Beach is Right Hand Drive then it is designed to be driven on the left.
If your licence is EU issued with an EU driving test you should not be forced to change it, but it may make things easier.

Sorry, I was just jocking about the rigth side, which is the left (for us continental expats), my Cali is LHD.

I've just learned, thanks to Comfort, I have to exchange my EU license for a GB one. We have to do by law when residing more than 3 years in UK. There are insurers who don't care about that, but I'm certainly ilegal now, so just reauested today my driving license exchange. I don't know whether will impact somehow in my insurance premium amount, let's see.

Different thing is whethe a Cali Beacb are insured by, for example, Caravan & Camping Club because for them it's not a motorhome.

there a a lot of Beach owners on the forum --- I guess they are insured perhaps they can help / advise?

Try LV (Liverpool Victoria) and Direct Line. Both of those insure Beaches. Most insurers put the Beach under the car section rather than motor home. Has advantages in that you can transfer and keep/build a no claims discount from another car policy. but need to check the level of cover for camping contents. I am with LV and pay a small extra premium for "interior modification " i.e a kitchen pod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, I was just jocking about the rigth side, which is the left (for us continental expats), my Cali is LHD.

I've just learned, thanks to Comfort, I have to exchange my EU license for a GB one. We have to do by law when residing more than 3 years in UK. There are insurers who don't care about that, but I'm certainly ilegal now, so just reauested today my driving license exchange. I don't know whether will impact somehow in my insurance premium amount, let's see.

Different thing is whethe a Cali Beacb are insured by, for example, Caravan & Camping Club because for them it's not a motorhome.

Right-oh, drive on the right, not the left, right?
This English language can be confusing:headbang

As for EU licences, Comfort are wrong - you can exchange, but no compulsion to change after three years of residency, unless you are approaching 70-years of age.
There is a tool on the Gov.uk website...
https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

Ops!! you're right, it's not mandatory unless you're 68 or older when you turn GB resident.

I've already asked for the license exchange, so let's see if that makes the premium a little smaller.

I've asked for quotatio at gocompare and the cheapest one are those that belong to Admiral group (800 to 1000 GBP), next one was LV quoting at more thab 2000£ :Nailbiting

Ops!! you're right, it's not mandatory unless you're 68 or older when you turn GB resident.

I've already asked for the license exchange, so let's see if that makes the premium a little smaller.

I've asked for quotatio at gocompare and the cheapest one are those that belong to Admiral group (800 to 1000 GBP), next one was LV quoting at more thab 2000£ :Nailbiting
GB licence won't do any harm.
Good luck on getting lower premiums, those seem ridiculously high.

It might be worth reading this article. Some useful tips.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

For example, when I was working I got different premiums depending on how my job was described.

Guys, I just got a quote for our (soon to be delivered) 150 beach from direct line.
I assumed they would be more expensive, but to my surprise they were around £300 which included their extra charges for ncb protection, breakdown cover etc.

Welshgas, I've already readed this article and I'm applying their advises.

I've got 1 year of NBC.... or that's what I think, because my insurance is now 1 year old with no claims.

What makes me drive nuts is the difference between the last term and the new one in Admiral, the same company in both cases:
- Same drivers, no claims, last year living in Norwich and this year living in Cardiff.
- Same coverage for my Cali, but last year I had one more vehicle also with comprehensive coverage, a Ford KA.
- Last year 15000 miles for mi Cali and 2000 (don't remember well this point) for my Ford KA. This year 23000 miles for mi Cali.
- Last year I paid in total, for both vehiclez, less than 500£. This year 700£ after some bargaining.

I don't get that.

The insirance gives the value of the market in the event of a disaster, don't know whether I should vet a GAP as well, but I'll pay more for the insurance than for the Cali.

Just called Caravan Club..... "Computer sais noooooo". According to them a California beach is not a motohome neither a car, it's a campevan and they don't insure campervans. :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Ive just sorted out my insurance with direct line, £265 full comp, if I can't prove my NCD it jumps to £359.
The guys at Admiral called me back and said they could beat both :)

Try LV (Liverpool Victoria) and Direct Line. Both of those insure Beaches. Most insurers put the Beach under the car section rather than motor home. Has advantages in that you can transfer and keep/build a no claims discount from another car policy. but need to check the level of cover for camping contents. I am with LV and pay a small extra premium for "interior modification " i.e a kitchen pod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 x for LV - if you use "compare the market" or one of the over aggregators LV come up as one of the options. I have european travel thrown in

LV quotation is above 2000£ for me:shocked

The cheapest for my is Admiral, my current insurer (698.99£). Direct Line quoted for near 900£

I guess 23.000 miles a year is too much, but is what I'm doing.

1 x for LV - if you use "compare the market" or one of the over aggregators LV come up as one of the options. I have european travel thrown in

LV is around 2000£ for me :shocked

Have you tried comfort? Just got a quote for £380 ish from them for my beach. However my mileage will be a lot lower. Bear in mind the 36hr rule with them.

Comfort was "funny".

First they told me that they don't insure people with no full GB driving license. After that I've asked DVLA to exchange my European one to a full GB/. When I called back Comfort, the guy told me that they don't insure people with less of two years full GB driving license.

As you can imagine I has to say something to him, so I starter asking me the usual questions to get a quotation as if they were provide me with a quotation. At some point, for some reason I don't know he stopped and told me he had to ask something to someone promising me he were to call me back. That happened last Monday and I'm still waiting.

Seriously... I'm tired, I'll get the Admiral one because that's to an impossible mission. BTW, after one year I was unable to provide them with the exact Cali model (mine one is a Beach 4Motion, with is not sold in UK) :headbang:headbang:headbang

Comfort was "funny".

First they told me that they don't insure people with no full GB driving license. After that I've asked DVLA to exchange my European one to a full GB/. When I called back Comfort, the guy told me that they don't insure people with less of two years full GB driving license.

As you can imagine I has to say something to him, so I starter asking me the usual questions to get a quotation as if they were provide me with a quotation. At some point, for some reason I don't know he stopped and told me he had to ask something to someone promising me he were to call me back. That happened last Monday and I'm still waiting.

Seriously... I'm tired, I'll get the Admiral one because that's to an impossible mission. BTW, after one year I was unable to provide them with the exact Cali model (mine one is a Beach 4Motion, with is not sold in UK) :headbang:headbang:headbang
See this thread " estresao ", the last post by "gear box oil"

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-safeguard-insurance.10951/page-3#post-154840