Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior lighting activation

Cloudbreak

Cloudbreak

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi
I'm dammed if I can work out how to get the interior lights over the sliding door to turn on when you open the sliding door? I seem to have to enter in darkness? is there a way of activating these as well as the cab lights?

reach up. press the switch. only the 'califoria' step lights come on with the courtesy lights in the cab. assuming you have a T6 Ocean as your a bit vague

Hi
I'm dammed if I can work out how to get the interior lights over the sliding door to turn on when you open the sliding door? I seem to have to enter in darkness? is there a way of activating these as well as the cab lights?

If you have now purchased a vehicle, you may want to update your vehicle details (and maybe change your forum name as well? :) ). Helps for more relevant help.

Well, as fb says, the lights over the sliding door do not come on automatically. They have to be switched on. Only the lights on both sides of the step come on when the sliding door is opened.

Hi
You can do this?? Thought these ran off the leisure battery so are painfully individually manually operated.

Thank you for the response, apologies, yes I need to change my status to T6 4M owner not aspiring owner. Now with light concept pack, chrome bits down the side, nice wheels that two tone grey and black that everyone says "well if you don't like it you can always start up a funeral directors".
So, it sounds like there is no way of forcing these lights to come on when you open the sliding door, granted if you have a spare hand you can switch them on. Just thought it would make sense for the cab functionality to work similarly in the rear when the doors open.

Thank you for the response, apologies, yes I need to change my status to T6 4M owner not aspiring owner. Now with light concept pack, chrome bits down the side, nice wheels that two tone grey and black that everyone says "well if you don't like it you can always start up a funeral directors".
So, it sounds like there is no way of forcing these lights to come on when you open the sliding door, granted if you have a spare hand you can switch them on. Just thought it would make sense for the cab functionality to work similarly in the rear when the doors open.

Agree. despite all the bling and costs, some things are left to be desired on a Cali. In this day and age, there should be Google or Alexa integration built in - Google switch on the lights. Google dim the lights. I am sure someone will come up with an aftermarket solution.

You should be able to get the light strip that runs around the worktops to come on when the door opens. I think the California interior lights are on a separate circuit to all the 'van' bits. Near the sink and behind the passenger seat you should see two light switches - the Lower one does the cupboard interior and the top one does the lighting strip. 'Double click' the top switch to have the light strip activate when you open the doors. 'Double Click' to disable too.

You should be able to get the light strip that runs around the worktops to come on when the door opens. I think the California interior lights are on a separate circuit to all the 'van' bits. Near the sink and behind the passenger seat you should see two light switches - the Lower one does the cupboard interior and the top one does the lighting strip. 'Double click' the top switch to have the light strip activate when you open the doors. 'Double Click' to disable too.

I had to go out and try this right now ... and I it works. Everyday is a school day. :thumb

@Aspiring T6 owner - this should sort out the problem for you.

that's this weekends excitement sorted out then!

I had to go out and try this right now ... and I it works. Everyday is a school day. :thumb

@Aspiring T6 owner - this should sort out the problem for you.
Tried this but seems to either turn strip off and not illuminated when opening sliding door or turn it on permanently when door is shut. Tried the double click sequence many times. Is there a particular speed and delay you need to use?

Just check that you've got the switch by the mirror in the right place for the door lights to come on when opening first.

Tried this but seems to either turn strip off and not illuminated when opening sliding door or turn it on permanently when door is shut. Tried the double click sequence many times. Is there a particular speed and delay you need to use?
@Cloudbreak are you able to update your vehicle please so that we can advise correctly. Currently says "Looking to buy"

I did two rapid press of the button, like when you would with a spring loaded switch.

Like a 'double click' on a mouse... a computer mouse of course...

Like a 'double click' on a mouse... a computer mouse of course...
HI mickmull tried this a number of times with the interior light switch in the bulkhead in different places. I am assuming you open the sliding door and the strip light below the kitchen should come on if this is working and on the right setting? double clicked etc but still couldn't get it to activate when you open the sliding door. It works on its own when you turn it on?

HI mickmull tried this a number of times with the interior light switch in the bulkhead in different places. I am assuming you open the sliding door and the strip light below the kitchen should come on if this is working and on the right setting? double clicked etc but still couldn't get it to activate when you open the sliding door. It works on its own when you turn it on?
Hi Cloudbreak - just to check, its the top switch of the two switches that are on the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger's seat.

When it's active then the kitchen unit underweight will come on when the door has opened. Switch it off then it goes back to 'on and off'.

Hi Cloudbreak - just to check, its the top switch of the two switches that are on the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger's seat.

When it's active then the kitchen unit underweight will come on when the door has opened. Switch it off then it goes back to 'on and off'.

When you set this option up, just check that the strip light is not coming on a off randomly when you are not in the van, this draining the battery if not used for a while. Some of the T6s are wired up wrong and the door light setting triggers this random light action. There a few threads about this is you search Radom kitchen light. Dealers don’t know how to fix this issue so people leave the light in camping mode as this can solve that issue

Back