Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introducing myself and advice required

T

tomsetter

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All, hope you are all keeping well. I am looking for a Used Cali, we currently have a Ford Smax and have seen the error of our ways (!), it just isn't big or fun enough for the adventures we have been going on and are planning on going on. I do need 3 seats in the back for three young kids - please give me a shout if you have something of interest or know of good places to look. thanks

Welcome.

Three kids? Sounds like a Beach with the bench seat will be most flexible. Is that what you were thinking?

Oceans can have a third seat but that limits room in the back for other times.

I can sympathise with the Smax issue, look at the Beach, you’ll not go far wrong with a decent nt specced one.

Yes I think so, I’ve been looking at transporter conversions, but they don’t appear to have the quality of the California and I am never sure of the use of the van prior to conversion.
Bench seat is exactly what I was thinking as this needs to cover school runs and adventures.
Welcome.

Three kids? Sounds like a Beach with the bench seat will be most flexible. Is that what you were thinking?

Oceans can have a third seat but that limits room in the back for other times.

Welcome Tom.

Unfortunately you need to steel yourself for that fact that it is a pretty extreme "sellers' market" for campervans and motorhomes at the moment, even on top of the very robust normal resale values of Californias, so it depends if you really really want to buy now or otherwise wait until winter.

The best advice for prospective first timer owners is usually to try to rent a van for a weekend or two to understand the pros/cons and implications for family camping use. But again, it may be hard to find a Beach for rent at short notice.

On the other hand if you put out an ask on the forum here, someone who owns a Beach and lives down on the south coast might be happy to give you a walk-round their van and explain the pros and cons of various options.

Thanks. Yes that is what I am seeing we looked a few years back before getting the ford and the market appears very different now.
We did hire one a month or so ago and are actually hiring another one next week. I didn’t know about this forum so didn’t ask here. But as you mention I couldn’t find a Cali so we are in a transporter!

Hi there, Cali is a good choice with excellent quality for camping. There are three different models, Ocean with kitchen etc, Beach without and Coast (inbetween). The Beach has 3 a three seat bench in the back. The Ocean doesn’t. Unfortunately the Beach is no longer sold new in UK, so you would need second hand (selling like hot cakes). Or and Ocean with the 5th seat as mentioned above. But can be a faff for camping.
I don’t have much knowledge of the Coast version so not sure if it will suit you.

Thanks. Yes that is what I am seeing we looked a few years back before getting the ford and the market appears very different now.
We did hire one a month or so ago and are actually hiring another one next week. I didn’t know about this forum so didn’t ask here. But as you mention I couldn’t find a Cali so we are in a transporter!
Nowt wrong with a Transporter, it’s a natural progression, the Cali will cost a pretty penny but it will do what you want it to do with 5 up. Cost is a prohibitive factor, but a cost worth paying for the correct spec IMO

I bought a Beach with the bench seat in December, also to accommodate 3 young kids. On a day to day basis it has been a faultlessly practical and useful vehicle for family life. I particularly like the fact I can get inside the while strapping the kids in and then nip between the seats to get up front. However when the weekend arrives and you can use it for its intended function, it really comes into its own. In December my choice was between a new Touran or an ex VW demonstrator Beach, I picked the beach and have zero regrets but as has already been mentioned, it’s a sellers market right now, though I expect it will calm down in Autumn. You may want to keep a keen eye on the dealships for ex pcp vehicles that get traded in.

If you are unable to find a California Beach or Ocean, be aware that there are some establish Converters that are VW Associates that can purchase brand new base vehicles with full warranty and the vehicle options you want and then convert the vehicle to exactly what you want.
eg: a Transporter with swivel cabin seats , AirCon front/rear and then fit a Bench seat on sliding rails as fitted to the California and a pop top roof with bed etc. This could be Plan B.

If you are unable to find a California Beach or Ocean, be aware that there are some establish Converters that are VW Associates that can purchase brand new base vehicles with full warranty and the vehicle options you want and then convert the vehicle to exactly what you want.
eg: a Transporter with swivel cabin seats , AirCon front/rear and then fit a Bench seat on sliding rails as fitted to the California and a pop top roof with bed etc. This could be Plan B.

Absolutely. And that's a route a lot of would-be Beach buyers in the UK will be going down in future, I guess.

Don't forget auxiliary heater!

Given some of the asking prices for Beaches, wait until winter or as suggested, modify a Transporter to give you what works and save a packet.

Absolutely. And that's a route a lot of would-be Beach buyers in the UK will be going down in future, I guess.

Don't forget auxiliary heater!
I think you can select that on a new Transporter.

That is what we did. We wanted built in toilet, hot water and a high top (no roof nonsense). So went to Autohaus Minehead (approved by VW) and they built exactly what we requested into a new LWB DSG Highline spec. Also with a bright light interior. Ok it's not a Cali but it is exactly what we wanted. Hot water on tap is such a luxury and the toilet is so useful. Vehicle comes with full VW warranty.

That is what we did. We wanted built in toilet, hot water and a high top (no roof nonsense). So went to Autohaus Minehead (approved by VW) and they built exactly what we requested into a new LWB DSG Highline spec. Also with a bright light interior. Ok it's not a Cali but it is exactly what we wanted. Hot water on tap is such a luxury and the toilet is so useful. Vehicle comes with full VW warranty.
There are some good conversions on new base vehicles. The big problem is I don't believe VW will sell you the extended 2 yr warranty at purchase and although the vehicle has a 3 yr VW Warranty the conversion side of things is often shorter and in some cases only 1 year whereas everything on the California is covered for the term of the warranty.

There are some good conversions on new base vehicles. The big problem is I don't believe VW will sell you the extended 2 yr warranty at purchase and although the vehicle has a 3 yr VW Warranty the conversion side of things is often shorter and in some cases only 1 year whereas everything on the California is covered for the term of the warranty.
We have full VW warranty plus three years warranty from the converters. If any problems come up with the equipment a quick phone call. They put you through to the chap that did your conversion and the solution is instantaneous, gas, electric, battery, on board utilities everything. I have had two warranty issues with the conversion, problems solved and Autohaus paid for my travel

I think you can select that on a new Transporter.
You can. I have. Along with the swivel seats.
Once you’ve had a Cali there are certain things you want to keep even if circumstances change...

You can. I have. Along with the swivel seats.
Once you’ve had a Cali there are certain things you want to keep even if circumstances change...
Thanks @all - incredibly useful info