Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter USB Converters

I have one of these and would of thought it is common sense as there is a big green LED that lights up when anything is plugged in to it? Saying that, we do leave ours plugged in all the time whilst camping and have never seen any battery drain.

I have been told it is not that good to leave any connection wathever plugged in even with no device attatched to it .
The inverter will notice a small amount of powerloss and the inverter in that matter will itself stays turned on and use power ....so if not on hook- up it can drain your lesurebat. just by leaving a cable plugged in!
Not that i ever had the experience of this , but was told by VW dealer with knowledge so i keep my eye on not leaving anything plugged in when not in use.

Being a family of four we can never have too many USB sockets in the van for the variety of gadgets we take with us, the inverter itself is pretty pointless for much else as it is so low powered so it's handy to have an extra USB socket available to run off the leisure batteries when camping without hookup. It also charges my iPad AIR much faster than the standard cigar socket USB adapter that I have.

Being a family of four we can never have too many USB sockets in the van

What you really need is one of these then... http://tinyurl.com/caliusb4

4 Ports, all high power (2.4A)

615OBu6o3-L._SL1000_.jpg

We do have something similar to that but it is a bit bulky as the only place it can be plugged in is behind the passgenger seat, also the missus decided to recline to seat a few weeks ago and ended up damaging my Apple charging lead by squashing it :headbang

It is a shame to cigar sockets are in such stupid positions, especially the one by the sliding side door

We do have something similar to that but it is a bit bulky as the only place it can be plugged in is behind the passenger seat, also the missus decided to recline to seat a few weeks ago and ended up damaging my Apple charging lead by squashing it :headbang
On the older models we have a Hella plug there... so need an extension lead anyway.

I've seen a few vans with an additional socket fitted on the drivers seat pocket too... very nice idea.

We do have something similar to that but it is a bit bulky as the only place it can be plugged in is behind the passgenger seat, also the missus decided to recline to seat a few weeks ago and ended up damaging my Apple charging lead by squashing it :headbang

It is a shame to cigar sockets are in such stupid positions, especially the one by the sliding side door
We have one of these from Aldi. Works great

I have been told it is not that good to leave any connection wathever plugged in even with no device attatched to it .
The inverter will notice a small amount of powerloss and the inverter in that matter will itself stays turned on and use power ....so if not on hook- up it can drain your lesurebat. just by leaving a cable plugged in!
Not that i ever had the experience of this , but was told by VW dealer with knowledge so i keep my eye on not leaving anything plugged in when not in use.

I have left a trailing lead plugged in (with nothing plugged into the lead) and it ran the batteries completely down. It took a few weeks over winter. But if I have nothing plugged in the battery drop is very low. There must be some sort of switch in the socket which energises the inverter - you wouldn't notice on a holiday only if the van is unattended for a while...

On mine, if you get down low and lift up the flap of the Inverter socket as you plug something in there is a little click and a green LED comes on, at the top, above the socket and below the covering flap. So the inverter is switched on by some form of microswitch in the plug hole.

Back