Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Iphones and IOS11 - just about had enough

Hi Everyone

I need space to rant a bit I think.

I've been a long term iPhone user, my first was a 3GS and over the years I've had a 4S, 5S and now a 7 (it's a year old) and generally they have just worked, been reliable and nice to use.

I am a techie at heart but have always liked the simplicity of the iPhone and the quality of it. Over the years I've tried a few androids for a month or two (work phone) and always end up going back to my trusty work iPhone 6.

And then IOS11 came along. What an abomination. I don't think I've ever seen an IOS as buggy as this before and this (and a few other things) are making me seriously question my next potential phone.

For example

IOS11 bugs/annoyances - camera sometimes starts upside down with some of buttons then upside down despite the rest being the right way up, battery (since update) has a mind of it's own going from 50% to 1% in 5 minutes sometimes, overlapping text on buttons/shoddy iOS development, more screen taps to do the same things as previously, phone is now slower generally (as always happens with IOS updates).

Then thinking wider, Apple really are a bunch of crooks and these days, for no good reason. Look at the iPhone X - £1000 for a phone, which doesn't seem that special? I may be getting older and more sensible but nothing about the iPhone X is screaming to me that I need to have it, not like the days of old with iPhones where they were massive steps between them. What is so good about it that I would want to drop a grand on one? Apple taking the Michael.

Then there is Apple not approving Google Maps for use with CarPlay, so it can push its own (not the best) Apple Maps. Annoying. Siri input for apple maps - rubbish. Can't even do a uk postcode.

So where does that leave me?

I haven't used a modern Android for ages, couldn't even tell you what sugar product the latest version is named after or what the latest Samsung Galaxy is - but I'm getting seriously tempted to jump ship when the time comes for me to change.

Has anyone else ditched iPhone and gone to Android? Is it just me who is going off Apple as a brand?

(I do love my MacBook Air though!)
I agree that the new iPhone X is very expensive but, after much soul-searching, I've finally succumbed and made a purchase. Smartphones are no longer mobile phones, but mobile computers, and the iPhone X has an amazing camera, complete with two lenses built in. I've not had any issues with IOS11 so far and am absolutely delighted with it.

If in doubt, go for it!

I don’t know what is wrong with the op iPhone, but I can tell you it’s not normal. I also don’t know why all Android users always has a need to rant at iOS devices to justify their savings. It’s the same with my friends with samsung, It’s like they are so unhappy with their cheap spyware phones they need to complain about Apple and iOS. I would never dream of ranting at anyones 200€ Samsung when using my 1200€ iPhone X, which has been totally brilliant.
No sane person would argue Android devices are less buggy. No security updates or patches for the majority of the used base is a IT experts nightmare.
There are some reasons for Android
price
durable models available

Who said my Pixel 2 was a cheap phone? The Android OS is well developed and stable. The difference is that Apple exercises extreme control over what applications are allowed in their store whereas Google aren't nearly as strict. If you don't want a buggy phone get it from Google and don't download apps from unrecognised developers. The difference being that you have a choice. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy an iPhone (I've had quite a few) but let's not disrespect everyone else's choices.

In answer to the OP IOS11 was fixed pretty quickly with 11.2
X is lovely bit of kit. Went from the 5 to the 10 and hopefully won’t need an upgrade until it gets to 15.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh I’m not sure then it’s something our web developer put on this morning

And with the snow fall, my alerts count has come back :thumb

7 year old blackberry, needed a new battery after 5 years (£12.50), no apps, no facetime, no facebook. £9 a month simm only contract. Savings so far + £3000 over 7 years versus my kids i phones.

I thought Apple stuff was expensive, but after forking out £50 to take granddaughter around the Chester Zoo Lanterns experience which lasted about 30 minutes, half of which time was spent queuing, Apple products seem like good value in comparison!

Anyway, I had a fall out with my iPhone 6s about 18 months ago over the battery issue. Sent it off to Apple and they replaced the battery FOC, it was back 3 days later. In the meantime, thinking it would be away longer, I bought a Moto G4 Android, which had good write ups, and to be fair it was very good. However, there are numerous little things I missed which mean that the Moto was chucked in the drawer a few days later and the iPhone was back in use.

Same with my MacBook, I bought a Microsoft Surface recently to replace it, but i’m back on the 5 year old MacBook because the OS works so much better and the machine is better built. I only use the Surface now to run Sage Accounts (I ran these previously on the MacBook in an XP virtual machine but the latest version of Sage won’t run on XP).

I would like to be able to ditch Apple stuff because there are some things that annoy me from time to time, but it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face!

Incidentally, I’ve had no problems with IOS11 on my devices (iPhone 6s & iPad), or my wife’s 5s.

Who said my Pixel 2 was a cheap phone? The Android OS is well developed and stable. The difference is that Apple exercises extreme control over what applications are allowed in their store whereas Google aren't nearly as strict. If you don't want a buggy phone get it from Google and don't download apps from unrecognised developers. The difference being that you have a choice. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy an iPhone (I've had quite a few) but let's not disrespect everyone else's choices.
I'm so torn, I like iOS and love the cameras, but the prices now are ridiculous for a phone. Ive tried Android and not got on with it, its just... well for me its the difference between something being designed around how people behave and being designed by software engineers and techies , function first form second.. I think if you are a bit more techie mind Android is less restrictive but ios is designed around user experience first.

Except I've seen fake popular apps quite a lot on my girlfriends phone, recently WhatsApp had fake versions that looked quite quite real until they were spotted by users and reported. Not that apple is immune theyve been messing up a lot lately too.

I find the Google Pixel cheap, compared to an iPhone X yes at half the price, but each to their own. I don’t get googles marketing since they dont even sell their own phones in many countries, but its more of a statement how it should function sans all bloatware that ships with the rest.
And I am sure most people switching from iPhones do so because of price, in fact I know firends who have done and does.
I am talking about the used base of Android phones in use. Its a total mess of more than 5 totally different OS’s and under versions making it a hassle for develelopers. For IT departments trying to have a uniform and up to date OS its a nightmare. Most of the installed base doesnt even have encryption on the device itself.

Just bought the iPhone 8, simply became I couldn’t justify the price point of the X. Plus sold my old handset, which meant it only cost a smidge over £500. I can live with that.

I have slowly converted everything to Apple and last year bought my first Mac.
Had loads of issues with it initially (6 months of pain) but after some lengthy phone calls with Apple they replaced the machine with the latest Mac which so far has been faultless. I really like the Mac touch toolbar thing.

I just like how it all works and integrates together. Not saying it’s perfect, Photos app on Mac can be frustrating at times.
But overall it’s won me over.

I have slowly converted everything to Apple and last year bought my first Mac.
Had loads of issues with it initially (6 months of pain) but after some lengthy phone calls with Apple they replaced the machine with the latest Mac which so far has been faultless. I really like the Mac touch toolbar thing.
I've had well over 30 years in IT as a software developer on various operating systems, so I get asked all the time about computers. If I'm asked to recommend anything I will always recommend a Mac. Apple products are designed to work well together and in my experience they do work well.

As I write this I am just cleaning up a 2009 iMac to pass on to my parents-in-law. This is the computer that has been in our study since new and is used on a daily basis for email, Internet browsing, radio and music, but also Sketchup and AutoCAD. It doesn't need replacing even at 8 years old, but the p-i-laws have a geriatric PC running Windows Vista that I inevitably end up providing telephone support for. The brainwave was - get a new iMac, reset the old one to as new, and then I can provide support more easily. It is trivially easy (and free with no extra software) to set up Macs so that you can share screens over the Internet for support purposes.

This is how the setup goes: switch on new iMac and step through a couple of setup screens. It then asks if I want to set it up from the backup on my Apple Time Machine. I say yes, and four hours later it looks exactly like the old one sat on the desk next to it. Next step, restart the old iMac while pressing a couple of keys and I can reinstall the current version of the operating system to get back to a pristine installation.

This is just not possible in the same simple way with Windows, you would never get Windows 10 running effectively on 8 year old hardware. Plus the Time Machine backup is completely transparent and automatic. I haven't found any Windows software that is as good for backups than the built-in software on the Macs.

The only drawback is the cost. However, if you can afford a Cali...

We are totally Apple except for my cheap Android Phone, and have been since 2006. 3 iPads, an iPhone from 3 through to 7, a MacBook and an iMac.
Original 24” iMac was purchased in 2006 and the HD failed in 2016. Was never switched off except on Holiday and used for kitchen TV and radio as well as all computer stuff and used by 3 kids for games etc:
Now replaced by a 27” iMac.
My son took the 24” and replaced the HD downloaded the appropriate OS and still running fine.
Before 2006 we had Windows PCs. Every software upgrade was a pain . Installing / uninstalling software always seemed to have problems and adding hardware could be a nightmare.
With the iMac OS Updates Just work, hardware just works. Backups work.
It’s expensive, True, but Just works.

I find the Google Pixel cheap, compared to an iPhone X yes at half the price, but each to their own. I don’t get googles marketing since they dont even sell their own phones in many countries, but its more of a statement how it should function sans all bloatware that ships with the rest.
And I am sure most people switching from iPhones do so because of price, in fact I know firends who have done and does.
I am talking about the used base of Android phones in use. Its a total mess of more than 5 totally different OS’s and under versions making it a hassle for develelopers. For IT departments trying to have a uniform and up to date OS its a nightmare. Most of the installed base doesnt even have encryption on the device itself.

I have my pixel 2 and a friend's Iphone X sitting in front of me and can see no difference in quality. If you pick them up they both feel like quality equipment. The touch screen are both sensitive and responsive in other words they both work. As far as Windows is concerned, I think most IT departments would like to use Apple products exclusively because it would make there lives easier but the fact is that a vast amount of software in the real world (especially in engineering) will not run on Apple products so we just have to live with Microsoft's various OS versions. They really aren't that bad if you can put up with the constant patches. The variety and depth of the available software makes it worth it.

Back