Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ireland - Atlantic Way

veg_frenzy

veg_frenzy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello all. Anyone have any suggested routes for a 2 or 3 week trip on Ireland's "Atlantic Way". Ideally a 'top to bottom' trip would be great, but I think that would be too rushed in 3 weeks (may 2 x 2 week trips?). I'm open to any suggestions or redirection to other threads as appropriate. Many thanks in advance.

Dave & Jacky
180 DSG, Olympic blue

Hi Dave & Jacky....what port are you arriving into - Rosslaire , Dublin, Larne, as that will really will determine where you start. It is a fantastic route and the beauty of being a Cali owner is that you won't have any problem navigating some of the smaller routes which are a no go for larger motorhomes. As such there is only one route so whether you start in the south (Cork / Kerry) and work your way up or start in Donegal and work you way down is academic really as it is quite simply stunning. The beauty of the Wild Atlantic Way is the little out of the way places and hidden gems all along the coast. Just follow the blue signs and you will never know what you will find.
I did part of it last year for a few days around the Burren in Clare (Fanore / Ballyvaughen) and up as far as Clifden in Galway taking in Roundstone in Galway ( a must). It was quite fantastic and I'm planning on spending 2 weeks this year doing as much as I can. By the way I don't work for the Irish tourist board!

Saw a report on Belgium TV recently where they did that with a caravan , it was indeed sometimes very narrow routes...
But , my o my some nice views..!
Would love to do that once.

I think the important thing to remember with the Wild Atlantic Way is that it is a route that winds it's way along the lanes and minor roads around the coast so needless to say the quality of the roads is poor in places and in some places bone rattling poor. But that's the fun and beauty of it really - the slower you drive the more you'll see, it's a deliberate ploy!

If you go to Clifden, make sure to stay a night or two at actonsbeachsidecamping.com

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Is it really that good? We have been thinking about it for some time, have the maps etc., but we have already heard from several people that the international marketing of the route has been more than successful, and that the route is really overcrowded nowadays, the 'remote feeling' completely gone throughtraffic jams of white giants along the way and overcrowded campings... :headbang

Comments/experiences, anyone?

We went for a week in June last year and the roads were not that busy. The weather was moderate but you don't go for the weather, as the locals told us! The minor roads are mostly patched up and bumpy, not really suitable for cycling and very slow to drive. The campsites are very good, we didn't book any, just took pot luck. Highlights were the friendly Irish, Cobh, Blarney and all of the southwest peninsula's, especially the Beara, parking legally in our Beach on a beach for lunch. The cable car to Dursey island is great. Ashamed to say we did not have a guinness but the local food is good, especially the beef. Go, you won't regret it.

I would agree with Richard’s comments above.

I would also suggest not sticking to the WAW route religiously.... as parts are single-track and a real time-waster IMO. Some local knowledge will help you avoid the tourist traps, and dead-sections. I’m from Belfast, and would also suggest the Antrim Coast Road, offers a considerable amount of the “gain” for minimum “pain” over the WAW. However, Ireland (Republic of, and Northern Ireland) have plenty to see and do, and is very camper-van friendly, especially in N.I.

Well that looks fantastic!
When you see things like this for the first time in your life you wonder just how could you have been ignorant to it.
Thats another trip in the diary.

We have had a couple of brushes with the WAW, last year we spent all of June more or less on it. We actually sailed to and from Rosslare as we didn’t enjoy the rush hour in Dublin on our first trip. Weather was poor but didn’t clip our wings too much. We loved the empty and stunning beaches in Donegal, and also as someone else said Acton’s site at Clifden. We googled the development plan for the WAW and it is truly a great scheme to help some smaller struggling rural communities make the most of their assets. It was good to know that if you were heading down miles of single track road to a viewpoint it will be possible to park/ turn at the end. We always try to avoid crowds and the only stand out disappointment for us was the Cliffs of Moher which is very much on the coach trail- and there are other outstanding cliff venues without the crowds. Food was great... lovely (and cheap) chowder widely available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We spent two weeks traveling SW and final couple days in the Wicklow Mountains. We got a book from our library called Back Roads, Ireland, which has several routes and information of points of interest. DK Eyewitness Travel Guide. I see that an updated version is available in April 2018. Whether you’ll get that in the library is doubtful. It’s on Amazon FYI. Finally, we had a great crossing from Pembroke to Roselare, the weather was mostly dry and sunny (June 17), the scenery and people were fab and campsites were of a good standard. The Cali if perfect for touring Ireland. I’ve put a motorcycle trip on my bucket list as a result of the experience and we most certainly will be going again.

C1514B7F-C1EA-4F6F-B43B-A73BC0E97955.jpeg If you are serious about completing the entire route, you can pick up an official atlas for about €15 I think. You can also get a passport booklet and jet it stamped a certain towns for each point. I picked them up in Kinsale County Cork at the start point.
6AFEC6EB-237C-40D0-86FC-88808BED3118.jpeg
I live along the WAW, the nearest point is Ballina Quay, hopefully see you passing.

This summer we plan to drive a bit of the WAW, starting in Kinsale from the very beginning working our way up to the north. I don't know how far we get in those two weeks. We live in Kildare so it is not that difficult to pick up from where we left it if needs be. We are looking forward for this. The WAW Web page is quite good so I hope to use a good bit of provided information for our tour. But I will have a look at the atlas too.

Eberhard

We have the ferry booked for next Thursday, Fishguard to Rosslare. We intend to do the Ring of Kerry, any tips would be appreciated!

We have the ferry booked for next Thursday, Fishguard to Rosslare. We intend to do the Ring of Kerry, any tips would be appreciated!

Hi. We’re in Kerry at the moment. The Ring of Kerry is fab. We love the Beara Peninsula. There is a lovely campsite out near Derrynane - Wavecrest. The pitches are nooks in the rocks and you can get a pitch right down close to the sea. They don’t take bookings, though - first come, first served. A trip out around Slea Head on the Dingle Peninsula is not to be missed. Enjoy - happy travels and keep your eyes peeled for our white T6!

Mannix point in Cahirciveen is good, probably better in high season as they have
music sessions in the communal kitchen/living area.
Mortimer, the owner is great craic too.

Hi,
I’m Irish & love beautiful Ireland so much I bought a Cali Ocean especially so I could explore every inch of it. I’ve not got any plans to travel abroad in the Cali anytime soon but definitely wouldn’t rule it out, I feel that I’ve plenty to see & do here.
I can give you 3 pieces of advice regarding visiting Ireland, do it, do it & do it.
There are some fabulous & very complimentary posts here about traveling around Ireland, including the WAW, but you really need to come here & experience it for yourselves. We’re quite spoiled here with our wonderful, beautiful country you know.
You won’t be disappointed.
Regarding where & timing for the WAW, it’s a very long & diverse route and so it’s very difficult to say or recommend. Padraic here has given great tips & information that is definitely very useful & you should use it. There’s heaps of info on the web & regarding camp sites in particular, check these sites out:
http://www.camping-ireland.ie/glamping-ireland
http://www.totalcampingireland.ie/
https://m.pitchup.com/campsites/Republic-of-Ireland/
http://outsider.ie/ireland/wild-camping-ireland/
Campsites are plentiful & generally good & well run.
Irish people are very casual, that’s not to say we’re flippant or laidback but we do know how to enjoy ourselves & get the very best out of life. After all, life is for living & enjoying. However, we are very serious when it comes to accommodating guests & ensuring that visitors are well looked after & happy here.
There are tourist traps just like everywhere in the world so you are welcome to get stuck into these attractions or avoid them if you wish to do so. We are very good at tourist traps but we’re also excellent at the more off-the-beaten-track, less formal hospitality. This where the Cali is perfectly suited, you can go & see everything at your own pace & desires.
Don’t let what you hear about the smaller roads & the driving put you off, it’s not as bad as you may sometimes hear & they’re really quite quaint for the most part. You suit your attention & your speed to the road at the time.
I’ve spent a lot of time touring /camping around Ireland & I’m lucky that my job takes me driving all over the 32 counties all of the time. I try my best to fit in my work schedule with my Cali schedule around weekends & this helps me get around even more. Of course I love the West & spend a great deal of time camping there, both inland & coastal, there’s so much to see & do. I spent 1 week in Co. Clare, at the start of last July with my 9 year old son. Starting at Loop Head and finishing at Kinvara (Co. Galway) with 3 stopovers in total, we hadn’t planned any of the activities or campsites and it all worked out grand. He loved it as much as I did.
Most campsites will take you without a booking & you’d be lucky to be turned away because of full bookings, however this could be possible in high season. Last summer we had no problems in this regard. A lot of sites actually don’t take bookings. Booking a day ahead or checking in advance may be a good idea, to avoid that possibility. And if the worst does happen, you can always pitch-up without a campsite.
Ireland wouldn’t be considered a cheap place to holiday (or live) but it’s quite reasonable if you’re careful. “It is better to spend money like there's no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there's no money!”
The weather isn’t great here, it rains a lot. “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothes!” Bring lots of shorts, T-Shirts & rain gear.
You’ve heard it before that the people are amazing & the scenery is stunning. It’s all absolutely true.
The craic is out of this world & you will always feel that you’re with friends. Although it has to be said, when holidaying in Ireland it sometimes feels like there are more foreign visitors than Irish people which adds to the whole expierence in a very positive & wonderful way.
I’d be reluctant to advise or steer you towards any particular places or campsites as there are so many to choose from. Sorry but the choice is huge. More than likely you’ll have seen or heard of certain places & are curious. Let your curiosity get the better of you.
“Here's to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold pint & another one!”

Thank you for that insight into Ireland. Am on my Way, Wild Atlantic on the horizon.

I first went to Ireland 54 years ago when I was 10 years old!

I was with my parents in a Dormobile Bedford camper van. There were four of us and we camped on the shores of Ballinskelligs Bay near Waterville. I remember it to this day. Haunting, rugged, pristine. All the hedge rows were Fushias, the roads very narrow, you had to visit the creamery for your morning pinta (and half a pint of cream!)
Life was very innocent then but I have been back to Ireland more times than any other country since then and you can still find these gems. I ended up marrying a girl whose father came from Limerick and we are off back there in May.
Reading the posts above and seeing the promotional video brought so many memories back. Thank you!
If you haven't been and its not on any BL you have, then add it and go.

I first went to Ireland 54 years ago when I was 10 years old!

I was with my parents in a Dormobile Bedford camper van. There were four of us and we camped on the shores of Ballinskelligs Bay near Waterville. I remember it to this day. Haunting, rugged, pristine. All the hedge rows were Fushias, the roads very narrow, you had to visit the creamery for your morning pinta (and half a pint of cream!)
Life was very innocent then but I have been back to Ireland more times than any other country since then and you can still find these gems. I ended up marrying a girl whose father came from Limerick and we are off back there in May.
Reading the posts above and seeing the promotional video brought so many memories back. Thank you!
If you haven't been and its not on any BL you have, then add it and go.
That’s great, thanks for sharing it. The best memories last the longest!

Well we've just returned home from our trip to Ireland & we had a great time!
For our1st night we stayed at a lovely small campsite with a restaurant & B&B called Ballinacourty House, County Tipperary, cost was 20 euro with electric hook up, highly recommend as a stopover.
We then moved onto explore Killarney on the start of the Kerry ring, we didn't fancy any of the campsites there so moved onto Tralee. We stayed at Woodlands Park campsite,I think it was 25 euro per night, again with hook up. Very busy campsite over the Easter weekend but with very high standards, it was easy to see why it was so popular.
From Tralee we explored the Dingle Peninsula, which was the highlight of our trip, stunning scenery!
We then returned to Tralee for a 2nd night on the same campsite, we'd hoped to stay in Dingle to experience Saturday night around the local bars. However we couldn't find anywhere to camp with facilities, reasonably close to the town. There are a few places on the Peninsula suitable for a cheeky wild camp that we were told about by locals but we headed back to Tralee for another evening.
Tralee has some fantastic pubs!........ We were lucky to find the bars open on Good Friday, First time for 90 odd years that you could legally have a drink in Ireland on Good Friday, so impeccable timing on our part!
Easter Sunday we continued along the Kerry Ring and overnighted at Valentia Island C&C Park, 19 euro with ACSI card, and visited the local pub 400m down the road which served fairly decent Pub Grub.
Easter Monday we continued along the Kerry Ring and took in a nice walk up and around Bray Head, which has some great views out towards the Skelligs.
Our final night on the Ring of Kerry was at the Wavecrest campsite, 19 euros with ACSI card. What a fantastic campsite in a stunning location! The way the campsite was laid out reminded us a lot of campsites in Croatia , that we have stayed at. The campsite is tiered with quite a few secluded little pitches amongst the rocks with views out to sea.
The Ring of Kerry was fantastic and the perfect way to enjoy it is in a Cali!

Back