Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ireland - Atlantic Way

Well we've just returned home from our trip to Ireland & we had a great time!
For our1st night we stayed at a lovely small campsite with a restaurant & B&B called Ballinacourty House, County Tipperary, cost was 20 euro with electric hook up, highly recommend as a stopover.
We then moved onto explore Killarney on the start of the Kerry ring, we didn't fancy any of the campsites there so moved onto Tralee. We stayed at Woodlands Park campsite,I think it was 25 euro per night, again with hook up. Very busy campsite over the Easter weekend but with very high standards, it was easy to see why it was so popular.
From Tralee we explored the Dingle Peninsula, which was the highlight of our trip, stunning scenery!
We then returned to Tralee for a 2nd night on the same campsite, we'd hoped to stay in Dingle to experience Saturday night around the local bars. However we couldn't find anywhere to camp with facilities, reasonably close to the town. There are a few places on the Peninsula suitable for a cheeky wild camp that we were told about by locals but we headed back to Tralee for another evening.
Tralee has some fantastic pubs!........ We were lucky to find the bars open on Good Friday, First time for 90 odd years that you could legally have a drink in Ireland on Good Friday, so impeccable timing on our part!
Easter Sunday we continued along the Kerry Ring and overnighted at Valentia Island C&C Park, 19 euro with ACSI card, and visited the local pub 400m down the road which served fairly decent Pub Grub.
Easter Monday we continued along the Kerry Ring and took in a nice walk up and around Bray Head, which has some great views out towards the Skelligs.
Our final night on the Ring of Kerry was at the Wavecrest campsite, 19 euros with ACSI card. What a fantastic campsite in a stunning location! The way the campsite was laid out reminded us a lot of campsites in Croatia , that we have stayed at. The campsite is tiered with quite a few secluded little pitches amongst the rocks with views out to sea.
The Ring of Kerry was fantastic and the perfect way to enjoy it is in a Cali!
Sounds like a terrific trip!

Am working toward west coast, found a lighthouse on the way.

View attachment 32116
Lucky you, Hook Head Lighthouse! Tell me you went inside to explore! You're in the "Sunny South East" you know, looks nice when you took the photo but it's taken a turn for the worse, there's s yellow rain warning & high winds here in Dublin. Hope you have your Cali Topper. Enjoy & keep posting the great photos!

Well, it really is blowing hard here and the roof has stayed firmly down until this evening.
At Eagle Point and going commando, i.e. no topper! Roof up, feet up and was'up?
Tried to stay at Cobh Aire down on water front but machine wouldn't take my €10, took €9 but tried 3 times, it was raining hard so I moved on. It chucked it down all day. Shame, it looked so inviting on You Tube but my reality was windy and wet.
But, doing the Wild Atlantic Way slowly, too slowly for the locals, they do like to rush about or am I getting slower? A job to keep moving anyway, what a feast of delights for which I have to keep stopping. The beaches, rivers and inlets and above all the sea, all the way from America. Lovely country, the weather is making for some epic waves. Well worth the trip, moving upwards and onwards, Cheers.IMG_6366.JPGIMG_6366.JPG

Well, it really is blowing hard here and the roof has stayed firmly down until this evening.
Tried to stay at Cobh Aire down on water front but machine wouldn't take my €10, took €9 but tried 3 times, it was raining hard so I moved on. It chucked it down all day. Shame, it looked so inviting on You Tube but my reality was windy and wet.
But, doing the Wild Atlantic Way slowly, too slowly for the locals, they do like to rush about or am I getting slower? A job to keep moving anyway, what a feast of delights for which I have to keep stopping. The beaches, rivers and inlets and above all the sea, all the way from America. Lovely country, the weather is making for some epic waves. Well worth the trip, moving upwards and onwards, Cheers.View attachment 32194View attachment 32194

Nice. We park-up/overnight at Garretstown Beach, when in that area:

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 22.40.59.png

Pawn Hearts. Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Van der Graff Generator.

Lighthouses might be the key
But can I ever find the door.”

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end remembering that epic song....
I think the Guinness has done its work!

Last edited:
But, doing the Wild Atlantic Way slowly, too slowly for the locals, they do like to rush about or am I getting slower? A job to keep moving anyway, what a feast of delights for which I have to keep stopping. The beaches, rivers and inlets and above all the sea, all the way from America. Lovely country, the weather is making for some epic waves. Well worth the trip, moving upwards and onwards, Cheers.View attachment 32194View attachment 32194
Sounds great, despite the rain!!

Last night wild camped at Hook Head lighthouse. Actually my last night here in this beautiful country, for the time being. The roads are so quiet, usually, and the good surfaces are good with the less good surfaces giving me time to practice packing for rattle free travel,.the van has had a right workout. Look forward to a return visit soon.

IMG_5803.JPG

Back