Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is camping dead in the UK?

Here we go. Doesn't take long. Its all brexits fault. Uk plc has run out of staff due to the economy being shut down for 2 years. Telling someone where to park in van in a field doesn't need loads of staff

I imagine lots are booked up but have 'no-shows' so can fit you in if its late in the day they are willing to take a risk on them not coming late. And similarly, this creates gaps that you see overnight. When we went to pembrokeshire, I had to book 2 nights in two campsites last year but only spend one night in each - because of their minimum length bookings.

I'm with Granny Jen. Seven trips this year so far. Booking only a few days before going. 4, 5, 6 nights no problem at CAMC and CCC sites, small and big. Don't travel in July and August. Don't know what all the fuss is about. On some sites we have we been the only camper.

I found this spot on egg friday all through til egg Monday at seahouses. It depends where you go and what facilities you have to have. Stay away from hook ups and shower blocks and the white whales are nowhere to be seen

20220414_143128.jpg

Perhaps a bit of a rant but it's based on personal experience.

Pre COVID we would average 15-20 trips/year. So far, in 22, we've been once.
It seems to me that it's almost impossible now to be spontaneous. Whenever I try to book a slot at short notice there is no room at the inn, anywhere.
Booking weeks in advance just doesn't excite me and it's pretty much the kiss of death with regards to the weather.

Emailing sites/leaving messages is pointless. I gave up on that ages ago.

On top of this and given we still work, traveling anywhere on a Friday/Sunday evening is pointless. We're in North Oxon so the M6 is out, the M25 is deffo out as is the M5. We've pretty much done all of our local stuff to death. If it's a C and CC site, arriving anytime after 12-00pm on Friday and you'll get the riot act read aloud.

Abroad is a completely different story, a complete joy. We've been twice this year and heading of again as soon as the schools return.

(Obvs this is the internet so there will be ten people claiming they can book anywhere at the drop of a hat with a free van wash thrown in. Long may it continue.)

Has the moment gone? Where is my MoJo? Do I just park it and await retirement so I can do the mid-week thing?
Never really got the "spontaneous" thing. We just book ahead then we are not disappointed.

I imagine lots are booked up but have 'no-shows' so can fit you in if its late in the day they are willing to take a risk on them not coming late. And similarly, this creates gaps that you see overnight. When we went to pembrokeshire, I had to book 2 nights in two campsites last year but only spend one night in each - because of their minimum length bookings.

We had this last month.
Had to book two nights and ended up staying two nights in the end. But on the second night we arrived at 10pm and left site at 08:30. Didn’t seem worth the expense, it wasn’t a cheap site and vastly over-rated compared to its reviews…

We had this last month.
Had to book two nights and ended up staying two nights in the end. But on the second night we arrived at 10pm and left site at 08:30. Didn’t seem worth the expense, it wasn’t a cheap site and vastly over-rated compared to its reviews…
Oh yeah, definitely. Some of the prices are bonkers.

OK, I’ll admit that being retired does make a huge difference to timing etc. However we don’t use campsites so never need to book! We just get in the van and go…… and stop somewhere as and when it suits us (Park4night, Searchforsites etc). Probably helps that we live in Scotland too I s’pose.

Right now we are in week 3 of a tour of Ireland……….

Campsites are restrictive. Now as for France? Yup we love it and will go for a few weeks late Autumn…….. but we’ll only use Aires

Having had 2 previous PVC vans we are really enjoying the ease and flexibility of driving a smaller vehicle. Already over here in Ireland we have been able to park up where all the big vans simply can’t.

No campsite? I problem!

(written a bit tongue in cheek, just trying to lighten things up a little :) )

We are over in the UK for a week soon, and I've wondered how the situation is so it's good (bad?) to read this thread. Fortunately, my parents are just outside the New Forest so we'll base on their drive and do day-trips as this is a 'visit-family' holiday. Pre- & post- we've planned to meander a few days across France, nothing booked, but may bag a couple one night sites just to avoid stress.

@soulstyledevon - I think things are busy, but 'ok', here. You've been here enough I reckon so you know the score on where is busy. I'm tempted to try a few of the non-campsite overnight spots in the mountains for a night just to get away. We camped in the son-in-laws garden plot with one of the grandkids for her first camper-van sleepover last weekend it was great.

I’m hoping to take the boys (no wife, no dog) on a three week tour of the five nations (England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland). No advance planning, just an outline plan, but all in peak holiday periods. Am I unwise?

@Amarillo think you’ll be fine. I’ve never had a problem finding a site. Sure I may not have ehu or may end up 20 miles from where I’d ideally like to be but campers have wheels and I’ve everything on board I need to cook, sleep and entertain the family. I just get up early, miss the traffic, drive the 20 miles and as an added bonus charge my battery on route.

I have found this a massive problem this year. My son is meant to stay with his dad alternate weekends, but it doesn’t always happen which means that my solo campsites can’t be booked until Thursday and its been taking me all evening to find places and often none that i am willing to pay for. Hopefully within the next couple of years things will calm down. Sometimes I’m half inclined to park the van and walk into the sites with a 1 man tent and ask for a walking spot

Indeed. We had that scenario a couple of times around Konstanz this year. We carry a pup tent to chuck all the junk in. We could’ve used that to sleep in and leave the van in the car park. Daft but true.

It seems to me that it's almost impossible now to be spontaneous. Whenever I try to book a slot at short notice there is no room at the inn, anywhere.
Booking weeks in advance just doesn't excite me and it's pretty much the kiss of death with regards to the weather.

On top of this and given we still work, traveling anywhere on a Friday/Sunday evening is pointless. We're in North Oxon so the M6 is out, the M25 is deffo out as is the M5. We've pretty much done all of our local stuff to death. If it's a C and CC site, arriving anytime after 12-00pm on Friday and you'll get the riot act read aloud.

Abroad is a completely different story, a complete joy. We've been twice this year and heading of again as soon as the schools return.

(Obvs this is the internet so there will be ten people claiming they can book anywhere at the drop of a hat with a free van wash thrown in. Long may it continue.)

Has the moment gone? Where is my MoJo? Do I just park it and await retirement so I can do the mid-week thing?
Maybe you need to think more flexibly. For example, why not have dinner at home and leave home at 10:30pm on Friday and park up somewhere discrete on the roadside around midnight. You'll have missed all the Friday evening madness. Get up early before anyone has noticed you. Check into campsite for Saturday and Sunday night. Head for home at 05:00 on Monday and grab a quick shower before work. Personally, I don’t do queues and I don't do traffic.

No

I am finding the same. I did a road trip into Suffolk and Norfolk, only booking the first night. Something I am coming across is that all pitches have EHU. Maybe an upgrade that happened over the Covid era. I do not need hook up, prefer not. Just me, LED lights, gas lamp outside for sitting and yet I am having to pay. One thing that saddens me is that little families that would go away in a tent for a cheap few nights, must be struggling as the 'cheap' sites, not so cheap anymore. I will not give up my Cali though. I am waiting for all those that want to go abroad, can enjoy it and leave the camping to me.

Agree with GrannyJen. Haven’t had any issues with booking.

We are fortunate enough to be in Scotland (when the schools get out at the start of July). With that we are not so fortunate to be close to anything other than midges.

We managed to book our trip 6 days before leaving home (last minute and couldn’t decide where to go) and booked Bury (Manchester), Sirencester, Poole (not club site) and Carnon Downes (Cornwall).

Just travelled back 670 miles overnight and are now home .

I've just done a trip where I booked fairly late as I had to find out which friends I could meet where before I booked. But then I don't need all the facilities, I have a loo in the van and I don't mind going without a shower for a few days, I have baby wipes and there's a nice little sink in the van for a wash.
I use Pitchup.com where you can specify what you need, and I didn't have any problem booking for an odd night if I was moving on, or a couple if I wanted a rest day. Haven't edited my pics yet but I might find a couple that give you the idea of what I like. This was the top of the field with Bredon hill in the background. There was one motorhome halfway down the field, we had a water tap and an Elsan disposal point.
Haven't uploaded any of the others yet!
DSCF0011.JPG

Maybe you need to think more flexibly. For example, why not have dinner at home and leave home at 10:30pm on Friday and park up somewhere discrete on the roadside around midnight. You'll have missed all the Friday evening madness. Get up early before anyone has noticed you. Check into campsite for Saturday and Sunday night. Head for home at 05:00 on Monday and grab a quick shower before work. Personally, I don’t do queues and I don't do traffic.
Fun weekend!
Get there knackered and leave knackered.

Never really got the "spontaneous" thing. We just book ahead then we are not disappointed.
OK if your type of campervanning is that you are 5 days here, 6 days there, 4 days somewhere else, and then return home. But if that was our type of holiday, we would have bought a caravan, not a campervan.

We are ‘travellers’, have a rough idea of an itinirary, but just love the flexibility of a day here, a day there, have a long drive, have a short drive, have no drive, do a hike, stay longer than expected when we like it somewhere, or move on as quickly as possible if a place or the weather turns out to be horrible, etc, etc.
The growing inflexibility of campsites is a hinder, then.

OK if your type of campervanning is that you are 5 days here, 6 days there, 4 days somewhere else, and then return home. But if that was our type of holiday, we would have bought a caravan, not a campervan.

We are ‘travellers’, have a rough idea of an itinirary, but just love the flexibility of a day here, a day there, have a long drive, have a short drive, have no drive, do a hike, stay longer than expected when we like it somewhere, or move on as quickly as possible if a place or the weather turns out to be horrible, etc, etc.
The growing inflexibility of campsites is a hinder, then.
Yes, I guess it would be hard in that situation, especially in school holidays. For some of the really good sites we use in school summer holidays, I have to book a full year early. (That's not a complaint though, I am happy to do that if they are good).

I’m hoping to take the boys (no wife, no dog) on a three week tour of the five nations (England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland). No advance planning, just an outline plan, but all in peak holiday periods. Am I unwise?
What about the Isle of Man?

We are back from a tour around France In June, we stayed in Honfleur, La Trinite-sur-mer, Marseillan Plage and Saumur we were arriving before 12.00, at all the sites we visited there were between 1 and 3 pitches left and these were large sites. The site at Saumur had a sign up saying full but as we had phoned the day before and booked they told us they would find a pitch for us which they did.
This is off peak June which is normally quiet.
So it seems with the lockdowns everywhere is busy.

Back