Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is camping dead in the UK?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Perhaps a bit of a rant but it's based on personal experience.

Pre COVID we would average 15-20 trips/year. So far, in 22, we've been once.
It seems to me that it's almost impossible now to be spontaneous. Whenever I try to book a slot at short notice there is no room at the inn, anywhere.
Booking weeks in advance just doesn't excite me and it's pretty much the kiss of death with regards to the weather.

Emailing sites/leaving messages is pointless. I gave up on that ages ago.

On top of this and given we still work, traveling anywhere on a Friday/Sunday evening is pointless. We're in North Oxon so the M6 is out, the M25 is deffo out as is the M5. We've pretty much done all of our local stuff to death. If it's a C and CC site, arriving anytime after 12-00pm on Friday and you'll get the riot act read aloud.

Abroad is a completely different story, a complete joy. We've been twice this year and heading of again as soon as the schools return.

(Obvs this is the internet so there will be ten people claiming they can book anywhere at the drop of a hat with a free van wash thrown in. Long may it continue.)

Has the moment gone? Where is my MoJo? Do I just park it and await retirement so I can do the mid-week thing?

On top of this and given we still work, traveling anywhere on a Friday/Sunday evening is pointless. We're in North Oxon so the M6 is out, the M25 is deffo out as is the M5. We've pretty much done all of our local stuff to death. If it's a C and CC site, arriving anytime after 12-00pm on Friday and you'll get the riot act read aloud.
We have exactly the same problem - we can't get anywhere costal after school on a Friday.

South Coast would involve the M25 East coast traffic is always bad until at least East of Cambridge.

I do wish the likes of the C&MH club would officially allow arrivals up until say 9.30 on Fridays at this time of year.

Can't comment on the UK, but over here in NL the amount of people that own a camper has risen with almost 20% when covid hit. I don't have more recent numbers, but I'm sure it has gone up even more since 2021.

Add to that the fact that (due to covid, not being able to fly, traffic, rising prices of everything) a lot of people are 'discovering' camping. And all of these people need a place to camp. So, yes, over here at least, it has gotten busier and busier.

Many of these people, who weren't campers in the past, have different standards or wishes. The glamping-crowd so to speak. Beds, fridges, private washing facilities, butlers?, etc. It makes for a different camping experience. Add to that, that camp sites see there's more money in this then just a simple pitch for a tent or a campervan, and yeah, it seems camping is changing; getting busier, more expensive and just harder.

I also notice that over here there's suddenly new rules and many 'paid add-ons'. Things like: "sure you can make a fire, but only in our fire pit which you need to rent and only using our wood that costs a fortune", etc.

We have always avoided larger sites and chosen the small, green, quiet sites, but it's getting harder and harder to find 'm and if, like you (and us) you don't want to book ahead, it's useless in high season and (long) weekends. Unless you're a pensioner and camp in the off-season. But even then... I went 'winter camping' the last couple of years and ran into sites that were full, while there was snow on the ground.

We'll be camping in the pyrenees later this year. Haven't booked anything. Still hoping and guessing it'll be ok and we'll surely find sites, but we'll have to see how it goes. Maybe 'm getting old and grumpy.

Having just bought a Campervan it really isn’t any different if you want to stay in popular areas in hotels and b and b’s is it? Popular spots are always going to be booked up at weekends. By the way it isn’t a requirement to be grumpy when your old(er)!

Having just bought a Campervan it really isn’t any different if you want to stay in popular areas in hotels and b and b’s is it? Popular spots are always going to be booked up at weekends. By the way it isn’t a requirement to be grumpy when your old(er)!
I know, but I have always been young and grumpy before.

This is exactly what I ranted about a few days ago. Make no mistake, in Europe the situation is the same.
So many new camper registration, less pitches then before...
You need to wait until the new found camping enthusiasm dies off and people realise b&bs or hotels are cheaper, way less faff, easier to book(ing.com) , and hopefully the situation normalises again.
Or is this the new norm? Lhd 4m white Cali anyone?:D

Not camped in ours yet this year, may not at all in 22. 5 years ago it was very different. It was easy to clear off on a Friday afternoon, pretty much take your pick based on the weather, job done. Now it all has to be booked in advance, I can’t be doing with it.

Well, we're still planning on just leaving and hope for the best, looking for smaller campsites without the glamping hysteria. When I see all the traffic jam on friday evening up to sunday evening... a lot of people are moving around. Still member of Camperstopsbelgium which offer some quiet places at farms, vineyards etc... The kind of spots you just could run into before, for free. It is what it is, we'll have to see if it's just a camper hype or a new reality. No need getting more grumpy than I already am :)

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit of a rant but it's based on personal experience.

Pre COVID we would average 15-20 trips/year. So far, in 22, we've been once.
It seems to me that it's almost impossible now to be spontaneous. Whenever I try to book a slot at short notice there is no room at the inn, anywhere.
Booking weeks in advance just doesn't excite me and it's pretty much the kiss of death with regards to the weather.

Emailing sites/leaving messages is pointless. I gave up on that ages ago.

Abroad is a completely different story, a complete joy. We've been twice this year and heading of again as soon as the schools return.

(Obvs this is the internet so there will be ten people claiming they can book anywhere at the drop of a hat with a free van wash thrown in. Long may it continue.)

Has the moment gone? Where is my MoJo? Do I just park it and await retirement so I can do the mid-week thing?
Couldn’t agree more with your rant. We decided a couple of months ago to sell our Cali which was finalised a couple of weeks ago. So, after 25 yrs of camper van ownership we are now reliant on our trusty Dandy Camper (don’t laugh). I’m afraid for us the spontaneity of disappearing with the Cali had ceased. Camping has definitely changed over the last few years and become more of a faff and less enjoyable for all the reasons you have given. Only time will tell what the future will bring but I’m thankful that we have enjoyed many years of fun with our campers.

I am freewheeling this year without booking anywhere far in advance, but mostly a solo traveller and free of school restrictions.

I've just signed up, three campsites over 5 days, for the 7th-12th August, no problem. OK, one of those is a 2 day reservation midweek in the tourist hotspot of Clitheroe, another in Ellesmere Port for a night and 2 nights just outside Kendal but not in the Lakes but still always manage to find a spot.

I've got to admit I do a mixture of booking, summer breaks are booked well in advance (even have some for 2023 booked) but for me it's nice to have something to look forward too. But off season we have had no issues finding somewhere at the last minute when the weather is good.

Also a Cali isn't just for camping. My Son and I cycle regularly so throwing the bikes on the back and having some where easy to change and chill out after a race is great (other cyclist can be very envious, especially after my Boxing Day race when I had a pre-heated van to return to!) and just for day trips to the beach and the like it's wonderful (god the shower is a lifesaver to get the sand off and somewhere to hide when it gets too hot with a nice ice cold drink!). I've also had some strange looks on Teams when I've decided to pop out and "work from my mobile office" when I've wanted a change of scenery.

I'm finding new ways to use Bertie nearly on a weekly basis

I've just signed up, three campsites over 5 days, for the 7th-12th August, no problem. OK, one of those is a 2 day reservation midweek in the tourist hotspot of Clitheroe, another in Ellesmere Port for a night

My darling youngest has enough of a meltdown when we suggest going to Cornwall, if I dared mention we should go on holiday to Ellesmere Port or Clitheroe, I would expect the van to be firebombed before departure.

its does seem to be a lot harder to find a pitch particularly at weekends than it was before covid.

My darling youngest has enough of a meltdown when we suggest going to Cornwall, if I dared mention we should go on holiday to Ellesmere Port or Clitheroe, I would expect the van to be firebombed before departure.

its does seem to be a lot harder to find a pitch particularly at weekends than it was before covid.

Nothing wrong with Ellesmere Port, well, not if your last port of call was Scunthorpe :shocked

I have sympathy for families with kids, I am watching my Son, new to campervanning, trying to book up for the holidays or just a weekend away.

I have it quite easy, just booked up for a 3 night stop in two weeks time in Cranbourne chase AONB near Salisbury. But then it's tues-thurs.

Friday and Saturday night are always hardest in tourist spots like lakes until all those retired motorhomers and caravaanners all strangely go home on Sunday. Sunday to Thursday always easy to find somewhere. If stuck ffriday and saturday I free camp it somewhere or use a pub stop then move to a site on the Sunday. Easy to do . Searchforsites app. If your leaving home on a Friday night you won't need a shower til at least Sunday anyway. Don't give up,just change the way you do things

I do wish the likes of the C&MH club would officially allow arrivals up until say 9.30 on Fridays at this time of year.
If you are a member and have time, stand for election to the local comittee, then national, then agitate for a change. Or maybe, just agitate . You're sometimes quite good at that.:Iamsorry

It’s a total nightmare…!!!
I stopped booking campsites years ago, because whenever I booked, the fifty year storm hit. You could guarantee poopoo weather.

Unfortunately, I’m now tied to school holidays.
We’ve ended up in more hotels over the last two years than I can ever remember. The price of a pitch, over-crowding and the lack of availability has changed our mindset with what we want from our free time.

I’m about to head to Switzerland next week, nothing booked…
Not sure how we will get on, I’m fine, but the wife is another matter. She can cope with a couple of days, but after that we will need some facilities :rolleyes:

To make it worse, I found that (last year at least) quite a few places had a 2 night minimum, so I had to book and pay for 2, even though I only stayed for 1...

I tend to try and do a mixture of 'wild' camps and every couple of days a proper site with showers etc. If I am only going for one night then I dont bother with a site. But this year, on both 4 day trips we did a couple of nights wild camping and then couldnt get into a camp site so had to wild camp for a third and just not think about it...! I guess now COVID is relaxed enough that we could use leisure centres etc for a shower in that situation.

But then, I hate big sites anyway. I do like small ones, with good separation between vehicles, but the big ones just seem to busy and too close to everyone else - effectively a car park with grass for tarmac...!

We have been unpleasantly surprised at the UK campsite situation these last weeks.We went to Camperjam this July and booked the ferry back from Harwich a week later, intending to roam in a week from Camperjam, via Ely, Cambridge and ‘Constable country’ to Harwich. We hadn’t pre-booked anything for that week.
Usually, when we want to call it a day, we look at Google maps, Park4Night, etc. to find a campsite, and then simply turn up. We found peculiar behaviour at sites.
We arrive, and staff says: “Have you reserved? No??? Oh….” And then look difficult, have to check systems… and then find us a pitch! “The last one available“. And then, later, when we go to sleep, we see at least 5-6 open pitches open still…
Or, on their website, we see one can only reserve a minimum of 3 days. We decide to simply turn up, and lo: we can stay for just the one night! No problem!
Or, upon arrival, we see a sign at the entrance: full! We go in anyway, and we find we can stay 2 nights (happened at some Cambridge club site - forgot which club) and got a discount on top. And we have seen at least 3 open pitches around us for the duration of our stay (haven’t looked around at the rest of the campsite).
Why are they all playing difficult?

We have been unpleasantly surprised at the UK campsite situation these last weeks.We went to Camperjam this July and booked the ferry back from Harwich a week later, intending to roam in a week from Camperjam, via Ely, Cambridge and ‘Constable country’ to Harwich. We hadn’t pre-booked anything for that week.
Usually, when we want to call it a day, we look at Google maps, Park4Night, etc. to find a campsite, and then simply turn up. We found peculiar behaviour at sites.
We arrive, and staff says: “Have you reserved? No??? Oh….” And then look difficult, have to check systems… and then find us a pitch! “The last one available“. And then, later, when we go to sleep, we see at least 5-6 open pitches open still…
Or, on their website, we see one can only reserve a minimum of 3 days. We decide to simply turn up, and lo: we can stay for just the one night! No problem!
Or, upon arrival, we see a sign at the entrance: full! We go in anyway, and we find we can stay 2 nights (happened at some Cambridge club site - forgot which club) and got a discount on top. And we have seen at least 3 open pitches around us for the duration of our stay (haven’t looked around at the rest of the campsite).
Why are they all playing difficult?
It's the same reason some pubs still shut early, they have become lazy and don't want to work. same ones who moaned about losing money for 2 years. Covid hangover from hell

Maybe they want to appear busier than they’re, hoping for pre-bookings.
I can’t recall anyone who I know, holidaying in Blighty this summer….

We have been to North Norfolk at short notice, Nethergong which was booked about a year ago, and we’re off to Camping in the Forest, soon booked a month ago.

The campsites are full because camping in the UK is massively popular post Covid. My wife tells me that lots of friends and parents have been telling her they’re not going near an airport this summer. It’s one thing getting there and being delayed for 5 hours, it’s another to arrive and be told your flight (and holiday) is cancelled. UK plc has run out of staff. I wonder why!?

People are thinking COVID is over and they want to have easy fun - camping. Hundreds bought vans and are now out in them. We think many restaurants, pubs and maybe campsites have empty places but say they’re full because they don’t have enough staff to make things run smoothly and they don’t want to give people bad service and/or get bad reviews so run at 75% capacity instead.

I’m sorry to hear you’re finding it difficult to get out there. I think what you want to do is difficult at the moment. A bit like trying to get in a beer garden in summer 2020, you have to be first, be quick and reserve.

I think you’ve worked out the solution to your own problem. Enjoy the continent.

Back