Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it goosed?

California Bubble

California Bubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Timing belt on my 2.4d failed yesterday. I’m waiting on an inspection from a mechanic, but wondering what the chances are that the engine is cooked?

IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Sad
if your very lucky you may have bent the valves

Head off carry of remedial works

if your unlucky you’ll be replacing pistons etc (full engine rebuild) at which time take the time to make the engine like new !

Engineering company in watford will be able to carry out any machine work

It was changed 3 years and 15000 miles ago.
I was weighing up the costs of repairing and selling vs selling as is. I’ve had 10 years of blistering reliability out of the T4, but I’m driving further and more frequently now so I’m in need of a little more creature comforts (AC, cruise control)!.. Gutted really, it’s part of the family.

I was weighing up the costs of repairing and selling vs selling as is. I’ve had 10 years of blistering reliability out of the T4, but I’m driving further and more frequently now so I’m in need of a little more creature comforts (AC, cruise control)!.. Gutted really, it’s part of the family.
Cruise control should be an easy install on this T4. Even AC can be installed, but will cost a lot more.

And this timing belt was only 3 years old with 15000mi? What about the warranty it should be good for at least 60000mi?

Did they change all related parts tensioner etc ,strange it failed so early must be a reason normally a very good strong engine

Did they change all related parts tensioner etc ,strange it failed so early must be a reason normally a very good strong engine
Yes, all the associated parts were changed. Unfortunately the mechanic I used no longer operates, so there’s no one to go back to to question. He was very familiar with the T4 though and had two of his own.

Exactly the reason we swapped our first 4 for a later one. AC and cruise is a game changer.

I can recommend Scottys Van Centre in Wendlebury near Bicester. I used them for years.
There is nothing they don’t know about 4s
They’ll have it back on its feet in no time.

That’s interesting. Was reasonably low revs when all went quiet. I’m hoping to have an initial assessment done this week, then I’ll see where I end up. I’ve also read conflicting things online about valve damage, so I’ll be reporting back the diagnosis.

Exactly the reason we swapped our first 4 for a later one. AC and cruise is a game changer.

I can recommend Scottys Van Centre in Wendlebury near Bicester. I used them for years.
There is nothing they don’t know about 4s
They’ll have it back on its feet in no time.
AC is essential. That’s a huge windscreen to bake behind when the summer arrives!