Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

IS IT ME OR JUST THE TIME OF YEAR

We had an i7010 a class which was great. Always felt the Hymer was less cumbersome but I echo your experiences. It's just kids need space. If it were just me and my wife and dog and we'd chosen the Cali as a daily driver too then I can totally see it making sense and when we've been away without the kids for a weekend we've talked ourselves back round to keeping the Cali!

Forgive me Father for I have sinned...

I have recently found myself looking at "Big Whites" again... I've owned several motorhomes previously, ranging from panel van conversions from Auto Sleepers through to an A Class Dethleffs. However, as much as I love the Cali and trust me I really do love her (wife can vouch for that..!) I am struggling with the lack of year round useability especially with a 2 and 4 year old. Using her in the sunnier months all is well but in the off seasons we are struggling. Now we don't have a diesel heater so we are massively hampered by needing pitches with hook up which IMHO defeats the object of a Cali. I have spoken with planar Pete among others and know for less than £2k this can be sorted but I am looking at some lovely motorhomes around £50-£60k thinking should I stick or should I twist...? Thoughts and therapy please... Am I missing something? If I stick I need to us the Cali year round to justify as this is a 4th vehicle for us not a daily driver.
I am preparing to scrifice the beautiful driving for a better camping experience with a Hymercar 540 Free. only .5 of a metre longer, although a lot taller. but a fixed bed and a lot more space. Darke winter nights in a Cali is a bit claustrophobic. With the bed down, very cramped ('er indoors, won't sleep upstairs.

I am preparing to scrifice the beautiful driving for a better camping experience with a Hymercar 540 Free. only .5 of a metre longer, although a lot taller. but a fixed bed and a lot more space. Darke winter nights in a Cali is a bit claustrophobic. With the bed down, very cramped ('er indoors, won't sleep upstairs.
That’s exactly what we thought so a Hymer 540 free is what we have ordered. Due this spring to our spec.

Guys you may have found the bloody solution! I can look at these at travel world too. Looks perfect as a compromise. If I may be so bold what are we Looking at price wise with pop top option and leaf times for delivery!!!???!

Guys you may have found the bloody solution! I can look at these at travel world too. Looks perfect as a compromise. If I may be so bold what are we Looking at price wise with pop top option and leaf times for delivery!!!???!
Ours is 7 months ! But we wanted an exact spec. A couple are available in dealer stock for immediate delivery. I think travel world currently only have 600’s in stock but would give you an idea of what you get. Or head to NEC show to see one and compare to Westfalia Amundsen 540 which is very similar

We’ve got a Swift Escape 695. There’s three of us so no lower bunk bed just a garage which can take 4/5 bikes plus seats, bbq etc. Hot water, shower and toilet all v useful and just under 7m long isn’t that bad to get around in. We had one too many wet weekends in the Cali , fine for 2 but for families you have to be made of stern stuff in the rain. However as with everything in life ymmv. My Beach will be sold when the weather improves, I could keep it but seems a waste and while I can will buy a 911 !

Sounds similar to me. Keeping the Cali seems a waste for us too having shared similar experiences to you. It is looking very likely that we are going to go down the Hymer route as a Hymer PVC will be the perfect compromise..

During the cold dark winter months November-February we only spend a couple of nights at a time in the Cali. For me, the thought of spending longer than that in a van of any size isn’t appealing as the joy of the Campervan is being outside as much as possible. Like many of those on this thread we have considered the pros and cons of a slightly larger van (and we don’t rule out that route at some point) but decided that at the moment during the winter our longer stays will be in cottages or apartments. There is only my wife and I in the van so our challenges aren’t as great as those with families. Although not a daily driver we use our Cali for days out in all weathers and go away for a couple of nights at least once a month throughout the winter. Longer trips reserved for April-October when days are much longer. The sheer versatility of the Cali as a second car, day tripper, etc as well as a great drive is hard to beat.

Owning a California doesn't mean your honourbound to stay in in it at all costs. We visit friends and take our bedroom with us. Hotels etc have good deals out of season and overnight stays on the way to a 5* hotel makes for a very leisurely and relaxing stay.

T
During the cold dark winter months November-February we only spend a couple of nights at a time in the Cali. For me, the thought of spending longer than that in a van of any size isn’t appealing as the joy of the Campervan is being outside as much as possible. Like many of those on this thread we have considered the pros and cons of a slightly larger van (and we don’t rule out that route at some point) but decided that at the moment during the winter our longer stays will be in cottages or apartments. There is only my wife and I in the van so our challenges aren’t as great as those with families. Although not a daily driver we use our Cali for days out in all weathers and go away for a couple of nights at least once a month throughout the winter. Longer trips reserved for April-October when days are much longer. The sheer versatility of the Cali as a second car, day tripper, etc as well as a great drive is hard to beat.
Agree entirely. I think the key difference being is having kids. For me with kids it doesn't w
Agree with you 100%. I conclude that for us with kids it sadly doesn't work. That's not to say it doesn't work for others! I think the Hymer vans with pop tops and bathroom facility ETC and still sub 6m is the perfect compromise FOR US... More space, fully self contained for true wild camping yet convenient size for the more adventurous roads that we like to take through remote parts of Europe

We still rent 4/5 star cottages as well as using the Cali. Sometimes we use the the Cali alone, sometimes a few nights in the Cali either side of a week in a cottage. Or a week in a cottage following a week / 10 days in the Cali which is what we are doing in April. For us the mix & match works well.

We still rent 4/5 star cottages as well as using the Cali. Sometimes we use the the Cali alone, sometimes a few nights in the Cali either side of a week in a cottage. Or a week in a cottage following a week / 10 days in the Cali which is what we are doing in April. For us the mix & match works well.
Considering this approach too. We have had a couple of cottage holidays since owning the Cali and discussed doing something along these lines last night over a pint or three...

Considering this approach too. We have had a couple of cottage holidays since owning the Cali and discussed doing something along these lines last night over a pint or three...
Just enjoy the panoramic drive, stopping for a picnic in the warm and then end up at your cosy destination be it a hotel, cottage or Centr Parc.
The California is a tent on wheels, so when you want a hotel, use a hotel. You don’t have to drive around in a hotel all year round and be restricted to where you can or cannot go.

We wild camp, use camp sites, rent cottages as well as stay in B and Bs, and Hotels depending on how the mood takes us. It keeps things interesting. This time of year it's more likely to be the B and Bs and/or Hotels as camping in bad weather is no fun at all. I have never once thought, "we've paid all that money for our van so we have to use it all of the time". It's a tool that we use when appropriate.

Apart from regular duties, we enjoy an afternoon picnic in it every week as well as numerous camping trips and outings throughout the year. It's a superb vehicle that enhances our life style considerably.