Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tell me your tales of selling and regreting it !

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We're about to list our van, we've come to the conclusion that we really don't use it enough, need another vehicle and have had to make a call to move on. This is our second Cali, absolutely brilliant vehicle but I am already wracked with regret before I even sell it - we almost sold it last year but gave it another year however circumstances dictate we just don't get enough time to use it so this time it goes.

Anyone been round that loop before ?

Not quite sold but our van has been off the road and in the body shop since 1st September and not due back to 28th.

We have had a hire car including a weeks holiday we hate not having a Cali. Why some of the reasons
  • sitting low no views
  • not able to put the kettle on when you want
  • not having a deck chair in the boot to sit out in
  • not being able to change into swimming trucks in the back
  • not being able to have a night away
Our van is our daily drive and we miss it

Last edited:
We're about to list our van, we've come to the conclusion that we really don't use it enough, need another vehicle and have had to make a call to move on. This is our second Cali, absolutely brilliant vehicle but I am already wracked with regret before I even sell it - we almost sold it last year but gave it another year however circumstances dictate we just don't get enough time to use it so this time it goes.

But aren't they hard to get in NZ? so easy to sell but difficult to replace?

I sold my T4 last month, almost by accident. I thought I should probably try to sell it while waiting for the T6, so I put a single photo and a brief description on a little-visited local classified site around lunchtime one day. I had three calls that day and it was gone 24hrs later. I could probably have added another 20% to the asking price and it would still have gone (did go to a lovely home though!)

If I had known how easy it was going to be to sell I would have held on until the new T6 arrived. As it is, I now have to go and buy and insure a small car for the interim, a pleasure equal to visiting the dentist for a root canal...

I can't imagine life without one now. Great daily driver, kids love it, incredibly useful in many situations. :)

Why not use it as a Daily Driver?
No bigger footprint than a large saloon, just a little taller. Certainly fits in 2m height restricted car parks.
You don't have to just use it for holidays.:thumb

Think i be selling my house before i ever sell my Cali.....!

Don't use it that much either, but just the idea that I can leave anytime I want, gives me good feelings. If I had to drive more on montorways I'd use it on daily basis. As it is now, I'm using a hybrid engine car - owned by my employer - for all my city & near surroundings drives. Only using Cali when distance & purpose justified hence trying to limit its depreciation.

That said - if I had no other option financially - I wouldn"t mind selling & being without it, it's quicky replaceable and enough renting possibilities when it itches again. In the end, it"s just a consumer thingy like any other, but a nice one I should admit.

Don't use it that much either, but just the idea that I can leave anytime I want, gives me good feelings. If I had to drive more on montorways I'd use it on daily basis. As it is now, I'm using a hybrid engine car - owned by my employer - for all my city & near surroundings drives. Only using Cali when distance & purpose justified hence trying to limit its depreciation.

That said - if I had no other option financially - I wouldn"t mind selling & being without it, it's quicky replaceable and enough renting possibilities when it itches again. In the end, it"s just a consumer thingy like any other, but a nice one I should admit.

We all use our Cali's to little....i need to go out more on short breaks like weekend trips , we mostly do a two or three week trip .
Mine sits in my garage 90% of the year , but now way i'm selling up!
You can't compare with many on here who are enjoying retierement .
If we where retiered i would sell my house for a flat and spend more time away , if that would be in Cali we'l see when we reach that age...

Last edited:
We're a bit like you Wim we only use ours for holidays so most of the time it just sits on the driveway. What it does mean is that when we get in it we get that special holiday feeling which I don't think we'd get if it was a daily driver!
And despite what some others think we don't have any issues with it due to lack of use even at 7 years old.
Don't think we'll ever get rid of it, just come back from 2 weeks away in Germany and Austria and decided that when we upgrade to a larger motorhome in 5 years or so we'll probably keep the cali as well and let the family use it.

Just today in France set 39.000km( witch is not all that much) on my 2012 , 90% is km done on trips outside Belgium;)
Cali only leaves my garage for trips , not to go arround the block....

We overnighted at an acsi site at Jabbeke yesterday before heading back to Calais, they were Dutch speaking there to my surprise. Is that anywhere near where you live Wim?

We overnighted at an acsi site at Jabbeke yesterday before heading back to Calais, they were Dutch speaking there to my surprise. Is that anywhere near where you live Wim?

No Jabbeke is not nearby where i live.
I'm located about 15 km east from Antwerp .

I use my golf most of the time but the wife has the camper as a daily driver. Great for after school runs when the kids need to change or there is no time to go back home for food! All that, weekends away and trips abroad. We both love driving it and as others have said a lot of other things would go before it. Use it as much as you can not just long trips.

Well, now sold so we will have a hiatus for a couple of years and maybe come back to one later. Have loved every second of both Calis.

Well, now sold so we will have a hiatus for a couple of years and maybe come back to one later. Have loved every second of both Calis.
That was quick, did you sell it on the forum?

My Cali is my "daily" vehicle, and it's the main reason I've chosen a Beach. I said "daily" because actually I don't need a car daily.

When it was 1 year the counter read virtually 40.000km

I spotted that site once for a trip that didn't happen.
What was it like?

We've Not done much at the moment due to moving house.
Can't imagine how we would have moved the cats in a cage without it.
Invaluable for large furniture purchases and the wifi saved my bacon when there was none in the new house!
Chomping at the bit now to get away!

Back