Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it possible to have an 18 inch spare

ROKET

ROKET

roket
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Is it possible to fit an 18 wheel spare under the van and would a 17 inch be ok temperarly to use when a flat occures

Is it possible to fit an 18 wheel spare under the van and would a 17 inch be ok temperarly to use when a flat occures

Don't know if you had an answer on this, and I'm interested in the "will an 18" fit underneath?" question. Sure there are those out there who would also say no way should you drive with a temporary smaller wheel but surely for a v short distance to get you out of harms way its not a problem?

Other thought - Van coming with factory standard 16" rims on - if I change them for 18"ers will my speedo be out?

cheers

if you increase rim size you decrease tyre wall size to the overall circumference remains the same. On the driver's side A pillar there should be a label telling you acceptable tyre sizes and pressures?

I think you could have problems with ABS and various other electronic traction functions. On the SE then the minimum wheel size would have to be 17" because of the larger brakes on the front and on a 4Motion I think you could have some serious problems.
You could probably fabricate some form of extension to the spare wheel carrier to fit a larger wheel.

I have got a 19" wheel 255/40/19 100y spare fits ok. Van IS a 180 4motion DSG 20150912_143030.jpg 20140514_122902.jpg

I have heard that a 17" is the largest that will fit, but I may be wrong on that.

There are some websites that allow you to plug in tyre size and it will calculate rolling radius and tell you your speedo error compared to your standard set up. FWIW, I plugged in the VW's standard issue specs for the Cali and they were all extremely close in terms of rolling radius (RR).

215 65 R16
235 55 R17
255 45 R18

The middle one had the largest RR and the first and last were closest, although even the R17 was only a fraction of 1 mph out compared to the others. One would expect them all to be very close, after all!

The bottom line is that you can run any of the above as your spare, if it will fit. The R16/17 combos effectively have the same RR as the 18", so personally I would be happy running the smaller wheel as the spare on a vehicle with 255 45 R18 wheels.

sorry, my spare is also 255/40/19 fits under ok

I have got a 19" wheel 255/40/19 100y spare fits ok. Van IS a 180 4motion DSG View attachment 11623 View attachment 11624
Hi daz i would love them 19inch wheels but would not like the harsher ride.I did not buy that cali but another cali owner with the 255 width tyre spare managed to just like you fit in the carrier his were 18 inch,I am just about to put a vw rear spoiler on my black cali and mudflaps now i know what it will look like superb it will be the same as yours only with 17wheels.cheers Ron.

Back