Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the MDI iPhone necessary?

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hoping someone can help with spec options - sorry if this has been covered but I have searched and can't seem to find quite the answer I'm looking for...

On a new order, with MFSW and Premium Bluetooth, is the Media-in with iPhone/ipod connection necessary for connecting an iPhone for music and phone calls (and possibly SatNav app) to come through the Cali speakers? Is there a aux in as standard that could be used with an apple adapter instead?

Also, will the MDI work with an iPhone 5S or will an additional adapter be needed?

And finally, I know that the Media-in lead is in the glovebox but does this mean that the iPhone has to be shut away in the glovebox when travelling or can the lead somehow come out of of the glovebox without having to leave the glovebox open?

Thank you for helping a newbie with some (possible silly) questions!
Maud

Don't think it is required, as you can pair the phone with the Bluetooth and then the phone can play music over the Bluetooth, as well as phone calls obviously!

If you plug into the MDI interface it will charge the phone as well, which is nice - and saves you running an normal charger to one of the 12v sockets.

I think you will get a standard 3.5mm aux in as well, but again that means another wire running around.

(All of this is from an Android phone user- but I assume iphones work in the same way)

T

Thanks, Teeboy! I am considering phoning my dealer to add it to the order but don't really understand what it is (it seems there are lots of things in the brochure that I don't really understand, despite months of research!). Perhaps I don't need it after all :crazy

Maud
:thanks