Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this bonnet open?

Hi,

We’re posting here to ask for some help. We took our Cali for MOT last week and when I drove it home from the garage the bonnet briefly wobbled then flew up open when I reached speed of 50-60 mph on a dual carriageway. Luckily the road was quiet and no accident was caused.

The garage are denying that they are responsible, and have sent me video footage of our Cali being driven out of workshop to prove that the bonnet was closed and secured properly. Having taken screenshots and zoomed in however it looks to us like the bonnet is not pushed down completely as there is bigger gap at the front than below the windscreen. I have attached a screenshot below for you to see what you think.

Unfortunately we can’t tell with our Cali what the bonnet looks like slightly released as our bonnet is now bent and twisted. If anyone has a reflex silver facelift T5 we would be very grateful if you could take a photo of the nearside of the van with the bonnet catch released (but not the second catch which you release manually), and either post it here or dm me. Also with the bonnet lowered and on the first catch but not pushed down completely in case this looks different. We can then compare with the photo below.

Thank you so much for your help.
View attachment 71688
I would suggest the gap at the front of the bonnet is not parallel with the wing, which it should be.

Maybe VW need to be informed of a safety device failure, a device that should prevent this exact instance!

Contact the Ministry of transport and report the garage, thru have very strict guidelines for issuing licenses. For MOTs.

speak to the dealer before doing this and advise that if pushed (I.e they do not do the right thing) you will report the issue as a severe incident, which could have resulted in a serious RTA, they could loose their license for carrying out MOTs and the MOT tester could receive a fine!
Thank you, that is good advice too.

Maybe VW need to be informed of a safety device failure, a device that should prevent this exact instance!
I can’t be sure that the safety device failed (I presume you mean the display showing if a door/opening is open). It may be that I and the technician just weren’t very observant and didn’t notice. Not sure if was a sensor fault, it certainly worked when I returned to the garage the next day.
I thought I would speak to my local VW dealership tomorrow - the MOT was carried out by an independent local garage.

I’m not 100% sure on this but I thought that the driver of vehicle is responsible to check that the vehicle is in a safe condition to drive each time. I’m not defending garage in anyway as I would be the same as you not happy and chasing garage, but if you are looking to take legal action it maybe worth checking first.
Hope you get it sorted and that must of been very scary!
I had a previous van scratched in dealers carpark whilst it was in for work, so always walk round and check everything these days. They did pay and fix scratch as I spotted it before I drove off.
Technically you are right, but, if the garage hands the keys back and says ‘good to go’ (or words to that effect) then they must at least share some responsibility.

The safety device is the latching mechanism , it should not allow the bonnet to “blow” open at any speed, it’s a mechanical latch that is designed and manufactured to prevent this exact issue, it should be fail safe.
this exact issue is not meant to happen (by design), hence VW should be made aware. Particularly if the garage does not step up

Technically you are right, but, if the garage hands the keys back and says ‘good to go’ (or words to that effect) then they must at least share some responsibility.
Totally agree, bonnet doesn’t look shut properly in picture either.
I would show them a pic of a bonnet shut and the one they sent and say you are going to speak to citizens advice or solicitor for advise, and see what they say. Best to show pics and try your hardest to get a deal with garage (free labour or part/full payment), try and keep it nice and friendly first.
Good luck and keep us posted.

The safety device is the latching mechanism , it should not allow the bonnet to “blow” open at any speed, it’s a mechanical latch that is designed and manufactured to prevent this exact issue, it should be fail safe.
this exact issue is not meant to happen (by design), hence VW should be made aware. Particularly if the garage does not step up
Oh I see. Yes, I will definitely mention it to VW tomorrow. It will be going there for a service soon as well so they can look at it. It may be that that safety catch wasn’t latched properly either.

Totally agree, bonnet doesn’t look shut properly in picture either.
I would show them a pic of a bonnet shut and the one they sent and say you are going to speak to citizens advice or solicitor for advise, and see what they say. Best to show pics and try your hardest to get a deal with garage (free labour or part/full payment), try and keep it nice and friendly first.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you. I have been polite and friendly so far, they have been completely on the defensive. They only sent the footage to me late Friday afternoon (I wasn’t sure whether they would) so we have been mulling over our options this weekend. I will contact citizens advice, and also request footage of the Cali being driven into the workshop before they started the MOT. The same camera and angle should show the panel lines with the bonnet shut properly.
Interestingly he said that they had to install these high quality cameras because customers were complaining that their cars were being damaged... We have been using this garage for several years and never had any problems until now.
Everyone on here has been very helpful, so thank you very much. We will definitely keep you posted.

Thank you. I have been polite and friendly so far, they have been completely on the defensive. They only sent the footage to me late Friday afternoon (I wasn’t sure whether they would) so we have been mulling over our options this weekend. I will contact citizens advice, and also request footage of the Cali being driven into the workshop before they started the MOT. The same camera and angle should show the panel lines with the bonnet shut properly.
Interestingly he said that they had to install these high quality cameras because customers were complaining that their cars were being damaged... We have been using this garage for several years and never had any problems until now.
Everyone on here has been very helpful, so thank you very much. We will definitely keep you posted.
I would pop in Monday with the comparable pics of bonnet and see what they say. If he still isn’t going to back down then just say you are going to get legal advice.
Once he’s seen pic of what he sent over and how a bonnet looks when shut he May back down.
Plus if the bonnet was faulty when you brought it in they would of surely made an advisory on mot.

I think I would prefer to communicate with them via email now as then it is all in writing and we have a record in case we need to take further action. Probably better given current covid restrictions too.
The van passed its MOT with no advisories whatsoever.
Very much hoping he will back down when he sees the pics.

Here is my T5.1 bonnet closed and just released open.
So yours was definitely not closed fully.

Having said that, why did the safety catch not prevent the bonnet from flying up? Was that not latching correctly either?
Alan

Attachments

• 91D6FE4F-1A0C-4743-B270-B88BDEB9CB15.jpeg
    91D6FE4F-1A0C-4743-B270-B88BDEB9CB15.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 23
  • E912DE2A-65B1-4B8A-A03F-9877999BC481.jpeg
    E912DE2A-65B1-4B8A-A03F-9877999BC481.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 22
Here is my T5.1 bonnet closed and just released open.
So yours was definitely not closed fully.

Having said that, why did the safety catch not prevent the bonnet from flying up? Was that not latching correctly either?
Alan
Thanks for the photos. We don’t know why the safety catch didn’t hold it, possibly it wasn’t latched fully either. I would have thought if there was a problem with the security catches generally on T5s there would be mention of it on this forum so must be a one off. I’m going to speak to Vertu VW today if I can get passed the call centre staff!

A quick update - I have had a reply from the garage to my email (with pics attached) and, whilst not admitting liability, he has suggested we move forward with getting estimates for repair. I think from his email he will be angling for 50/50 cost share but we will see. He has said that I should have noticed the display on the dash but also said that his technician should have ensured the bonnet was closed.
By the way, our Cali doesn’t bong when bonnet catch released and then ignition/engine started. I think it must have bonged at the garage when I took it back because the temp was sub 4 degrees c.

I don’t think it bongs when stationary, only when moving. I can’t test on mine as it’s just been towed to get the oil leak sorted.

I drove it round a farmyard to test it, so maybe didn’t reach sufficient speed. However the garage guy just drove it round his car park so wouldn’t have gone any faster and he said it bonged. Not to worry, it was just an observation!
Good luck with the oil leak...

I’m sure the bonnet is also opened to check the engine is up to temperature before carrying out the emissions test where they rev the life out the engine, but I might be wrong..

I’m sure the bonnet is also opened to check the engine is up to temperature before carrying out the emissions test where they rev the life out the engine, but I might be wrong..
That’s useful to know, thank you.

Bonnet would be opened to check all levels even windscreen washer.
That’s good news he’s talking, fingers crossed you can get a quote quickly and agree a deal you’re are happy with.

Why would they video it being driven out unless they were guilty.

Why would they video it being driven out unless they were guilty.

Hows that work then? the manager thinks oops we haven't shut the bonnet on this one lets turn on the cameras? Next car - yes we've shut the bonnet properly , no need to video it.

I think the garage has been more than fair by handing over a video that shows its not shut properly. Its what they do next that really matters.

Hows that work then? the manager thinks oops we haven't shut the bonnet on this one lets turn on the cameras? Next car - yes we've shut the bonnet properly , no need to video it.

I think the garage has been more than fair by handing over a video that shows its not shut properly. Its what they do next that really matters
The garage actually only sent the video because they thought it proved that the bonnet was shut! They tried to show me in their office but I couldn’t see it whilst socially distancing so asked them to send it to me, and also so that my husband could see it too. I then took screenshot, zoomed in and we saw it actually didn’t look shut after all...
He said the reason they put cameras in and film all the vehicles was because of several complaints from customers about their vehicles being damaged...

Presumably then, they will have the video of the technician not closing the bonnet properly Before handing the van back to you to “Drive” away oblivious to the safety issue they inadvertently created ?

Bonnet would be opened to check all levels even windscreen washer.
That’s good news he’s talking, fingers crossed you can get a quote quickly and agree a deal you’re are happy with.
Fingers crossed -
Presumably then, they will have the video of the technician not closing the bonnet properly Before handing the van back to you to “Drive” away oblivious to the safety issue they inadvertently created ?
From the video it looks like there are quite a few cameras at different angles, so yes, probably got a good shot of that! I don’t think they’ll be sharing any more videos with me now though...

Back