Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this bonnet open?

C

Calilot

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

We’re posting here to ask for some help. We took our Cali for MOT last week and when I drove it home from the garage the bonnet briefly wobbled then flew up open when I reached speed of 50-60 mph on a dual carriageway. Luckily the road was quiet and no accident was caused.

The garage are denying that they are responsible, and have sent me video footage of our Cali being driven out of workshop to prove that the bonnet was closed and secured properly. Having taken screenshots and zoomed in however it looks to us like the bonnet is not pushed down completely as there is bigger gap at the front than below the windscreen. I have attached a screenshot below for you to see what you think.

Unfortunately we can’t tell with our Cali what the bonnet looks like slightly released as our bonnet is now bent and twisted. If anyone has a reflex silver facelift T5 we would be very grateful if you could take a photo of the nearside of the van with the bonnet catch released (but not the second catch which you release manually), and either post it here or dm me. Also with the bonnet lowered and on the first catch but not pushed down completely in case this looks different. We can then compare with the photo below.

Thank you so much for your help.
7FD143CD-36BB-45AC-B19D-98C58FF267FB.png

If you were on the way home from MOT then it sounds very unlikely that it is not the garage that didn’t close it properly. Too many negatives, sorry, to re-phrase, I’d put my money on it not being closed properly by the garage.
I hope someone can provide pics that help.

Was it actually on the way home from the MOT? & how far away?

Reflex silver T6 - in case this helps.
1610284154138.jpeg

Yes, I was on my way home straight from the garage.
Reflex silver T6 - in case this helps.
View attachment 71693
Thank you - the shape of the bonnet looks very slightly different to the T5 above the lights - but certainly shows a tight fit and no gap at the front when closed.

Sorry, hadn’t finished reply - yes, going straight home, distance of 3 miles. Slowly through town, then a very short distance dual carriageway. Bonnet flew open pretty much as soon as up to 50-60mph

IMG_2155.jpgPhoto one bonnet shut

Photo 2 bonnet catch pulledIMG_2156.jpg

Photo 3 catch pulled & me pulling bonnet up as far as it will go to safety catchIMG_2157.jpg

photos 4 & 5
MFD display - first one bonnet shut, 2nd with bonnet catch pulled - shows bonnet as open, seem to remember all sorts of bongs would be going off if moving with it open - same as a door. I cant start my engine/ drive it to check at present.IMG_2160.jpgIMG_2161.jpg

Hi Calilot,
What a f-ker..!
Here's some of my 5.1 Reflex - I'm due to go to the lock up next few days, so I'll take some pics of it, at various stages of release.
Cheers,
Rob.

Attachments

• PB161168.JPG
    PB161168.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 31
  • PB161166.JPG
    PB161166.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 38
If you were on the way home from MOT then it sounds very unlikely that it is not the garage that didn’t close it properly. Too many negatives, sorry, to re-phrase, I’d put my money on it not being closed properly by the garage.
I hope someone can provide pics that help.
I would pursue this with the garage. Unless they can prove that your bonnet catch was faulty then the probability is that they didn’t shut the bonnet fully.
Years ago I had a windscreen replaced on a BMW730D Sport by Autoglass. Shortly after leaving their site when going round a bend I heard a noise from under the bonnet. I stopped to investigate and couldn’t open the bonnet. Went back to Autoglass and asked if they were missing a spanner/tool and they said no. To cut a long story short it cost an absolute fortune for BMW to release the bonnet, requiring removal of front wheels, wheel arch liners, etc, etc. A spanner was found jamming the bonnet release. Autoglass still denied it was their spanner. It wasn't until I started legal proceedings that they made a ‘goodwill gesture’ to pay the BMW bill.

Looking at the above, I would have thought if the bonnet was not closed properly you should have had some "bongs" going off when you started to drive, the MDF display would have stayed showing the outline of the van with the bonnet shown solid, rather than the normal display , & I don't understand why the safety catch didn't stop it opening fully.

Looking at the above, I would have thought if the bonnet was not closed properly you should have had some "bongs" going off when you started to drive, the MDF display would have stayed showing the outline of the van with the bonnet shown solid, rather than the normal display , & I don't understand why the safety catch didn't stop it opening fully.
All very good points Andy.
Think I’d still go down the route of pursuing the garage though. No problem when it went in - problem when it came out.

Thank you all for your replies, and photos. Andyinluton, photo of yours with bonnet catch released looks similar to ours in garage.
I didn’t notice the display when I drove away but it seems the technician didn’t either when he reversed out and parked up. I didn’t notice a bong either but both display and bong worked when I took it back the next day (I had collected it in the evening). It seems it only bongs once.
We wondered whether the bonnet was closed sufficiently not to trigger the sensor to warn that it was open, but not sufficiently to latch in properly.
The fact that the safety catch didn’t hold it has been puzzling us too. It doesn’t seem to be faulty and I understand that the bonnet catch has to be checked as part of the MOT. The temperature was quite cold though, whether that had anything to with it? It doesn’t change the fact that the garage should have ensured the bonnet was closed though.
We will definitely pursue it with the garage - our first step is to establish whether the bonnet actually looks like it isn’t closed fully on their footage.
Thank you all again for your help.

Hi Calilot,
What a f-ker..!
Here's some of my 5.1 Reflex - I'm due to go to the lock up next few days, so I'll take some pics of it, at various stages of release.
Cheers,
Rob.
Thanks Rob - the gap does look a more uniform distance between bonnet and front panel all the way along and together with Andyinluton’s pics will be helpful to show the garage.

I would agree your bonnet did not look to be fully closed. Have you got much damage? New bonnet and a windscreen?

Thanks Rob - the gap does look a more uniform distance between bonnet and front panel all the way along and together with Andyinluton’s pics will be helpful to show the garage.
Hi not helpful now but believe you can code the MFD display to show red when bonett/boot or any doors open as not really easy to see currently.
And I would also be pursuing the garage after looking at all photos.

Good luck

Hi not helpful now but believe you can code the MFD display to show red when bonett/boot or any doors open as not really easy to see currently.
That would be impressive on a black & white display!
I believe at some point in the past the likes of hazydays did an upgrade to the multicolour display used in some Vw models.

I would agree your bonnet did not look to be fully closed. Have you got much damage? New bonnet and a windscreen?
Just new bonnet, luckily it didn’t hit the windscreen. The gas strut was strong enough to hold it but the bonnet then wrapped itself around the strut causing a huge dent and the bonnet is skewed as well. It will close though, just looks like something big has bounced off the bonnet!

Could have been a lot worse! Don’t forget to charge for new underwear as well

And I would also be pursuing the garage after looking at all photos.

Good luck
Thank you. A red display would definitely help, I will do that once this is sorted.

If the system does bong to warn driver that a door or cover is not completely closed wouldn't that be recorded on the ECU. Might be worth exploring that angle with VW and have them pull the report.

I’m not 100% sure on this but I thought that the driver of vehicle is responsible to check that the vehicle is in a safe condition to drive each time. I’m not defending garage in anyway as I would be the same as you not happy and chasing garage, but if you are looking to take legal action it maybe worth checking first.
Hope you get it sorted and that must of been very scary!
I had a previous van scratched in dealers carpark whilst it was in for work, so always walk round and check everything these days. They did pay and fix scratch as I spotted it before I drove off.

Thank you, I will look into this too. I’m hoping that we won’t have to go that far but having experienced how the garage is dealing with this so far I wouldn’t rule it out.
It would seem reasonable to me to expect a reputable and professional garage to ensure that the vehicle is returned to the customer as it was delivered, in this case with bonnet shut, but I can see that possibly law wouldn’t agree.
On the other hand part of the MOT is ensuring that the catches work and hold the bonnet securely so maybe they didn’t carry out that part of the MOT properly. I can’t think of another reason to lift the bonnet for an MOT (maybe someone here knows) so surely the bonnet should have been fully closed at the completion of that part of the MOT. Failure to complete all of the MOT must also have legal implications.
All very interesting, and I will look into all of this before proceeding with legal action. As I said, I’m hoping it won’t be necessary - I will keep you all posted.
Thanks for comments.

FWIW, just walked around my bonnet to have a look and I would agree that the bonnet in the photo show too much room and is at least opened more then it should be.

That would be impressive on a black & white display!
I believe at some point in the past the likes of hazydays did an upgrade to the multicolour display used in some Vw models.
Only say that as was done on a buddy’s T 6

FWIW, just walked around my bonnet to have a look and I would agree that the bonnet in the photo show too much room and is at least opened more then it should be.
Thank you, it is helpful to know that you all think it’s partly open too, and it’s not just us!

Contact the Ministry of transport and report the garage, thru have very strict guidelines for issuing licenses. For MOTs.

speak to the dealer before doing this and advise that if pushed (I.e they do not do the right thing) you will report the issue as a severe incident, which could have resulted in a serious RTA, they could loose their license for carrying out MOTs and the MOT tester could receive a fine!

Back