Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is your bench hard to operate (slide back and forward)

I think most of you are using the wrong technique on this. Totally.

My approach is as follows:
As night falls and bed time approachs you carefully put away the cabin table, open the sliding door and step out into the darkened campsite. You walk quietly and firmly to the washroom. Clean your teeth and use the loo as required. Do not rush. Return to the van. By now all the blinds will be drawn. Carefully open the sliding door and you will find the bed pulled out to its full extent and your wife lying in it reading a book. Carefully lift in & position the porta potti which lives outside during the day. Then step inside, close the door, pull down the window blind before changing into your pyjamas and join her.

This is the method I have used for many years and I hope it helps.
I am sooooo tempted to ask whether your wife is available to those of us who are so clearly using the wrong technique :thumb

Just practice guys, come on. It's not a common problem, not at all. Stay positive; it is the same system as every other California ever produced (since t5): same mechanism and same rails so not something new of the latest. Practice until you can do it. It takes some training. You can do it! :thumb
Your experience may be different to others. I've had dozens of California's they vary on ease of sliding the bench seat.

Your experience may be different to others. I've had dozens of California's they vary on ease of sliding the bench seat.
Sure, but I just think this is about those who cannot move the bench properly because of how it’s been done. This is not a common problem in the latest versions. Yes, there will be some that vary a bit on ease of sliding, but this is more about the action, the how it’s been done. Practice does it. Mine slides easily too. If you do it right :thumb
And of course unfortunately there will be a few with an error so it does not shift properly and will never shift properly without repair.
But I suspect you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I am sooooo tempted to ask whether your wife is available to those of us who are so clearly using the wrong technique :thumb
Well.Did you ask and is she available.

Well.Did you ask and is she available.
She enjoys the camping but not reading about the technicalities and so she has never seen this proposal which was, I am sure, made with the best of intentions.
I’m not sure how long I can keep this technique available to me but offering her to all and sundry at night could well impinge on her night time book reading and therefore I regret must be turned down.

Sure, but I just think this is about those who cannot move the bench properly because of how it’s been done. This is not a common problem in the latest versions. Yes, there will be some that vary a bit on ease of sliding, but this is more about the action, the how it’s been done. Practice does it. Mine slides easily too. If you do it right :thumb
And of course unfortunately there will be a few with an error so it does not shift properly and will never shift properly without repair.
But I suspect you know what I mean.
Taking your advice, we camped last week and I "chilled" before tackling the expected sticky will it won't it sliding bed caper.
Slid like a dream...I think it was all in my head, as in I expected it to stick so it did. Practice does work, you were right.
:thanks

Back