Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

bench in the back gets stucked

U

ulrikmailand

Hi

I was wondering if there anyone who has the same experience as me with the back bench.

It feels like it's get stuck in the back corner in the doorside. When I wan't to move the bench forward I have to "wrickle" it quite a lot to be able to move it. It feels like there is something not releasing correctly - but I have had the dealer to take it apart and I can't seem to find any error my self.

Ulrik

I find sitting on the bench whilst moving it stops this problem you are experiencing.

s-express said:
I find sitting on the bench whilst moving it stops this problem you are experiencing.

Worth trying :) will let you know if that helps.

my bench is stuck and i cannot move it at all! I lift the handle and it seems that it release so i should be able to slide the bench. On inspection it seems that the bench is stuck slightly askew.. has any body had this experience.. I am going to have to take it to a local garage. Has anyone taken it apart to see? Or have any diagrams etc?

I had same problem fixed under warranty. I was told they had to remove the seat which is very heavy!

tani said:
my bench is stuck and i cannot move it at all! I lift the handle and it seems that it release so i should be able to slide the bench. On inspection it seems that the bench is stuck slightly askew.. has any body had this experience.. I am going to have to take it to a local garage. Has anyone taken it apart to see? Or have any diagrams etc?

to get at the mechanism you will first have to remove the sliding drawer which is held onto the runners by 2 little screws. Once the drawer is out of the way have a look at the inside faces of the seat base that is now visible. Each side has about 8 Torx bolts holding a sheet metal cover plate. Once all of these (and possibly the seatbelt mount) have been undone the plate can be removed exposing the mechanism and hopefully the problem.
Good luck, access is going to be tight. You might need to employ a small child!

tani said:
'Have you tried to move it with two people giving it a bit of 'wiggle'? Mine sometimes binds on one side and it is difficult to hold the release handle up with one hand and trying to move the bench with the other.

Andy

Thank you all for your very good comments. I will have a go with taking the drawer out as suggested. The wiggling did not work although it has sorted things out previously! The garage are saying it will take 2 hours - expensive.. so i will have a go! My cali is now 8 year old and so out of warranty BUT i have had the bubbling paint problem on the roof and hoping VW will fix that under the warranty as others have done on this forum. Thanks again to all replies helping me. Tani

When I got home from holiday last week my bench seat draw wouldn't open at all, it was stuck on the left side like it was caught on something. I discovered that the handle on the right levers a hook on each side of the draw to release it from the seat. The hook on the right was moving but the one on the left did move at all therefore not releasing the draw. The two hooks are joined with a rod and a screw in the end of the right side of the rod had come loose. After tightening this up I now have a working draw again.

Back