Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bungee

This is one on those subjects that will run and run. A bungee is only one part of making sure you don’t trap the canvas.You MUST always have at least the side door fully open even if it’s raining otherwise there is nowhere for the trapped air in the van to escape from. Also someone needs to be outside checking as the roof comes down...Risk not doing these things and it can be a very expensive repair....

Best £10 I have spent, although it's not a 100% guarantee to get you out of trouble it has saved my bacon a good few times especially when windy.

No you don't need it, it's a pain in the arse when clipping the roof down, but that canvas isn't cheap so I got one anyhow as I'm normally on my own when lowering.

No you don't need it, it's a pain in the arse when clipping the roof down, but that canvas isn't cheap so I got one anyhow as I'm normally on my own when lowering.
Do the problems still happen with the Beach? I would have thought it was mainly for the motorised roof and not the manual one so much...

Do the problems still happen with the Beach? I would have thought it was mainly for the motorised roof and not the manual one so much...
With the Electro-Hydraulic roof you can stop the roof descending at any point and check inside/outside if on your own. On the Beach or Coast I'm not sure you can stop the roof descending at any point without manually holding it at that point so a little more difficult if Solo.

I Don't know tbh, I didn't want to take the risk, for £9 and a bit of a faff my mind is set at ease.

I have a bungee. Also take down the roof for the first part with the topper on. This seems to also protect from gusts of wind. Always check inside the roof to make sure canvas is folding inwards as it should. Remove topper for very last bit of closing the roof. Not had an issue yet.
Also, mentioned in another post a while back. When fastening the bungee, adjust it so that there is no tension when roof is closed. Keeping it in tension all the time will limit it’s life. Although £10 vs £700 for a new roof...

Just got our first Ocean and considering getting the bungee - already getting paranoid about trapping the canvas. However we have the red and white van with red canvas so can you get a red bungee to match and do you need to keep removing it each time you want to open front window should we ever get a nice sunny day again .

Just got our first Ocean and considering getting the bungee - already getting paranoid about trapping the canvas. However we have the red and white van with red canvas so can you get a red bungee to match and do you need to keep removing it each time you want to open front window should we ever get a nice sunny day again .
If you want red you could buy red shock cord and the olive cleat from a yacht chandler.

I don't have one, and it doesn't seem I need one. Never had to close the roof in heavy winds though.
When the roof is up, wouldn't the bungee put additional tension to the fabric?
I wonder if it could with time help the fabric detach from where it is attached at the frame of the van roof as it will always be "pulling" when the roof is up..

I don't have one, and it doesn't seem I need one. Never had to close the roof in heavy winds though.
I wonder if it could with time help the fabric detach from where it is attached at the frame of the van roof as it will always be "pulling" when the roof is up..
The bungee probably exerts a fraction of the force on the canvas that a gust of wind does.

The bungee probably exerts a fraction of the force on the canvas that a gust of wind does.
true, but it does it permanently. Including in summer with very hot temperature and the glue somehow softened. Not sure to be honest..

Interesting thought. I feel they would have to be rather extreme conditions for the bungee to have such an effect. What I find rather more interesting is that VW do not see fit to recommend the use of one (a bungee that is).

Interesting thought. I feel they would have to be rather extreme conditions for the bungee to have such an effect. What I find rather more interesting is that VW do not see fit to recommend the use of one (a bungee that is).
I think a lot of dealers do but if VW were to suggest it officially it would be an admission that their roof design was lacking.

Surely Brandrup wouldn't have missed the possibility to produce and brand one...

Surely Brandrup wouldn't have missed the possibility to produce and brand one...
Maybe brandrup can't manage to charge £500 for it for decided not to bother selling it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think a lot of dealers do but if VW were to suggest it officially it would be an admission that their roof design was lacking.
I'm sure VW could get away with. "You don't need a bungee but for additional safety/peace of mind you could use one." A bit like Safeguard for paint and upholstery etc. Just a thought.

well I wouldn't personally go that far. Like this thread shows, lots of people are not using it, so the design of the roof mechanism/tent is working as it is..
As always, there's always room for improvement. What often goes missing in the forum, solutions for earlier generations of Californias are not more required for recent model as VW has improved the design or functionality in the meantime

I wonder how many of our German friends use a Bungee or similar?

As always, there's always room for improvement.

Making the roof fabric waterproof would be a good improvement; Our previous Bilbo roof was 22 years old and 100% waterproof, no need for a rainhat or isotop.