Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bungee

Making the roof fabric waterproof would be a good improvement; Our previous Bilbo roof was 22 years old and 100% waterproof, no need for a rainhat or isotop.
The fabric of the latest T6 is already 100% waterproof.

The fabric of the latest T6 is already 100% waterproof.
Mine wasn't waterproof. Replaced under warranty (less than two years old!).

Like I mentioned, some solutions , some accessories, are no longer required as they were in the earlier versions.
That's why I won't buy an external cover but rather an Isotop and for the moment not a bungee..

Isotop + Bungee work well for us. Fit once & forget.

With the Electro-Hydraulic roof you can stop the roof descending at any point and check inside/outside if on your own. On the Beach or Coast I'm not sure you can stop the roof descending at any point without manually holding it at that point so a little more difficult if Solo.
The Beach manual roof has a stopping point about 7/8ths closed so you can check the fabric without holding the roof down.

The Beach manual roof has a stopping point about 7/8ths closed so you can check the fabric without holding the roof down.
I would want to stop way before that point I'm afraid.

I would want to stop way before that point I'm afraid.
As you are standing to pull the roof down, you are seeing the whole folding process in real time. The bungee makes it easy to do this in one motion when you’re alone, and as you are actually watching the material fold, you can stop if you see any problems. The stop point is just to roll the fabric behind the storage webbing which protects it from the clamps, then one final pull to close and latch. The whole process takes about 15-20 seconds if there is no wind, slightly longer if you get out to check at the stopping point.

Last edited:
As you are standing to pull the roof down, you are seeing the whole folding process in real time. The bungee makes it easy to do this in one motion when you’re alone, and as you are actually watching the material fold, you can stop if you see any problems. The stop point is just to roll the fabric behind the storage webbing which protects it from the clamps, then one final pull to close and latch. The whole process takes about 15-20 seconds if there is no wind, slightly longer if you get out to check at the stopping point.
Obviously you are converted. Fine. I still find the electro hydraulic roof easier having tried a Beach roof and other manual roofs. I won’t be buying a Coast in the future.

Obviously you are converted. Fine. I still find the electro hydraulic roof easier having tried a Beach roof and other manual roofs. I won’t be buying a Coast in the future.
You can spec your Coast with the hydraulic roof too.

You can spec your Coast with the hydraulic roof too.
Still won’t be buying a Coast, too many options and things you cannot get compared with an Ocean.

Still won’t be buying a Coast, too many options and things you cannot get compared with an Ocean.
If you would spec your Coast like an Ocean, you are way above the Ocean price.
If you want a lot of options, it's always better to choose a higher end vehicle. Most options will be "standard", and while still expensive enough, yet cheaper than taking the lowest version and speccing up to the max.

That’s fine. My posts are for those who wanted to learn more about the bungee.

If you would spec your Coast like an Ocean, you are way above the Ocean price.
If you want a lot of options, it's always better to choose a higher end vehicle. Most options will be "standard", and while still expensive enough, yet cheaper than taking the lowest version and speccing up to the max.
One forum member did spec his Coast up to an Ocean, minus the electric roof, came in £3000 less than the Ocean, if someone is interested.

[IMG alt="babble"]https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/data/avatars/m/19/19162.jpg?1567719682[/IMG]

babble
VIP Member

Messages230LocationBrusselsVehicleT6 Coast 150
Sep 19, 2019
Basically you can spec a coast up with almost everything an ocean has, such that they are essentially the same vehicle. You can have a coast with an electric roof, alloy wheels, led lights, fulll interior lights, shower thing, the top stereo, climatronic, AAC, any engine, leather, double glazing, electric wing mirrors, reversing lights and beepers, fog lights, interior heater, three window bellows etc. etc. ALL functional options are available. (well, they were for the T6, and it looks the same for the T6.1 on the german configorator.), but none of them come as standard.

The only things not available are a handful of cosmetic things: colour coordinated wing mirrors and door handles and two fewer chrome strips on the front, and the interior fabrics and paint colors available for the coast are different and while you have some options, you cannot spec the ocean ones.

I think probably if you are going to order pretty much everything anyway, the Ocean will end up slightly cheaper, if you want to build-your-own, then the coast can work.

I wrote down everything i wanted, and then sat with the chap at VW and configured both an Ocean to have it all (needed about ten 'extras') then a Coast to have it all (needed about 20 'extras') and the Coast was €3k cheaper, so i got that. (and i honestly prefer the manual roof (which goes 'up' automatically in any case - you unclip it and push a bit and it does the rest) and i think the black wing mirrors and door handles look good on a red van!:))

I'm super happy with mine, although god knows what i was thinking not get parking cameras. haha.

(i also suffer from massive 4motion envy, but i really need five seats, as i have three daughters and i'm still holding out some hope that i might find someone to hang out with us at some point. :D)

Last edited: