Issues with charging 680GC…

S

SteveGC

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all,
My GC is back with VW York because I’ve had an issue charging up the battery on EHU using a standard 25m EHU cable? They’ve come back to me and said it’s because I’m not using a specific VW EHU cable for the GC range? I’ve never heard of this but they have tried mine on several different GC vehicles and causes the same issue? A EHU cable problem I hear you cry, as I did but it’s been tested and looked at and it’s only 3 months old??? Anyone else heard of this piffle before?
Steve

Ha ha - make sure that you get either the 600 cable or the 680 cable and not the wrong one! It's so annoying when dealers fob you off with rubbish like this - I didn't even know that there was a VW specific cable, never seen one. I got mine from Amazon, and I've never had a problem. Hope that you get it sorted.

Unless they are implying your cable has a problem there is absolutely nothing special about the GC hookup that needs a proprietary VW cable. Any standard EN60309 2P+E 16A male to female (plug to socket) will work. To ensure it will reach most hookup points the general recommendation is 25M length and at that length 2.5sqmm cable size is advised.

As Dennfo says it’s BS.
However VW do supply a short black European extension cable from new in your handover package.

All hookup cables are not born equal so chose carefully, ie cable diameter.

If they are that naive, you probably best finding another VW service garage.

Can I use this thread in my business plan, when I retire from a large nuclear establishment in west Cumbria I think I am going to set up an independent California specific habitation service centre, I could make millions of of all you Rodney's!

As Dennfo says it’s BS.
However VW do supply a short black European extension cable from new in your handover package.

All hookup cables are not born equal so chose carefully, ie cable diameter.

If they are that naive, you probably best finding another VW service garage.
This is exactly what they sent, you can imagine the very loud and unruly conversation that I had as soon as I saw this…

Ha ha - make sure that you get either the 600 cable or the 680 cable and not the wrong one! It's so annoying when dealers fob you off with rubbish like this - I didn't even know that there was a VW specific cable, never seen one. I got mine from Amazon, and I've never had a problem. Hope that you get it sorted.
Lies Lies and more dam Lies VW .
Did you call into the VW dealership on the 1st of April maybe.

UPDATE - All sorted now, they’ve replaced the consumer unit and charging module which were faulty. Apparently VW used a type of charging module on GC’s from Aug 22 to Mar 23 before swapping to a more reliable version. For my trouble I got the 680 Diamondbrite protected and a years free servicing.

Twaddle.....used a selection of bits of old cable...work fine on my 680. Vw dealerships sell white vans, they have absolutely NO idea in respect of camper vans

UPDATE - All sorted now, they’ve replaced the consumer unit and charging module which were faulty. Apparently VW used a type of charging module on GC’s from Aug 22 to Mar 23 before swapping to a more reliable version. For my trouble I got the 680 Diamondbrite protected and a years free servicing.
As they should have done straight away...before the BS

Back