Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Italian tune up

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We average three journeys per week, totalling 10 miles per week. Once every 3 months there is a 200 mile motorway journey too. Of course, we also go on holiday with journeys of maybe 1000 miles plus when holidaying two or three times a year.
Should we be doing a regular Italian tuneup? Interested in people’s opinions about the best way to do this? (I don’t think it’s in the bible / manual).

We average three journeys per week, totalling 10 miles per week. Once every 3 months there is a 200 mile motorway journey too. Of course, we also go on holiday with journeys of maybe 1000 miles plus when holidaying two or three times a year.
Should we be doing a regular Italian tuneup? Interested in people’s opinions about the best way to do this? (I don’t think it’s in the bible / manual).
No, you don’t need too. Just drive it as normal.

The AA (unofficial) guidance is to “Drive it hard” to prevent issues caused by “Sedate driving”.
that was the advice from two separate AA patrols, after suffering low flow EGR problem some years ago.
I pointed out that the engine revs are pretty much controlled by the DSG gearbox, so it’s partly out of my control, the consensus was give it some welly every so often & get the engine nice and hot.
one persons normal is another’s Sedate & visa versa.

I drive it how I want to drive it now, with less of an eye on fuel consumption.

These EGR engines suffer from sludge build up and need to get hot enough, regularly enough to help reduce the build up in the “environmental “ add ons.Same for Regen, drive it hard when under Regen and keep the revs artificially high to help burn off the Carbon build up.

Diesel engines become more efficient when Hot !

https://dcpdiesel.com/do-diesels-need-to-be-driven-hard/#:~:text=Diesel's%20should%20be%20driven%20hard,RPMs%20up%20for%20several%20minutes.

I do tend to drive very sedately these days.
I would imagine the 200 miles once a month is a good run out and allows everything to get a good heat soak.

the short journeys not so good, that’s where the crud builds up, engine not allowed to fully heat up for a good period of running.

the choice is yours and although I posted in this thread ther is no accepted “good practice“ regarding Italian tune ups.

Have fun and enjoy the van

Don't forget to keep fuel tank well over 1/4. If you do a short trip and at the destination it sounds like a hovercraft when you switch off, it's trying to do a dpf regeneration and you need to take it for a long drive quite soon, to allow it to complete it's work.

The main problem with short journeys is that particle matter builds up in the DPF and ultimately blocks it as the vehicle doesn’t reach the status required to do a DPF regeneration and burn off the particles/soot .
You could purchase a Carista OBD reader which can show you the DPF soot levels, to check that they are OK with the type of driving you do. The Carista can also force the vehicle to do a regeneration if required.

The Carista can be bought on Amazon for about £25/30. The software is downloaded on a smartphone . It is subscription based. You signup get 1 month free and then cancel. You can always restart.

The main problem with short journeys is that particle matter builds up in the DPF and ultimately blocks it as the vehicle doesn’t reach the status required to do a DPF regeneration and burn off the particles/soot .
You could purchase a Carista OBD reader which can show you the DPF soot levels, to check that they are OK with the type of driving you do. The Carista can also force the vehicle to do a regeneration if required.

The Carista can be bought on Amazon for about £25/30. The software is downloaded on a smartphone . It is subscription based. You signup get 1 month free and then cancel. You can always restart.
@WelshGas, where can I find details of the max/min OK DPF soot levels (as advised by a Carista device)?

@WelshGas, where can I find details of the max/min OK DPF soot levels (as advised by a Carista device)?
It might be worth worrying at this level of detail for interest, but the Cali will tell you when it's ready to regenerate by going into hovercraft mode, as I described above. No worries if you want to get all technical, but it isn't necessary.

It might be worth worrying at this level of detail for interest, but the Cali will tell you when it's ready to regenerate by going into hovercraft mode, as I described above. No worries if you want to get all technical, but it isn't necessary.
Hovercraft Mode seems to be something T6 and T6.1 vehicles do. Not so the T5/5.1
Have never experienced such on my 180.
The OP has a T5 180 so is unlikely to experience such an indication, until the EML light comes on due to a sooted up DPF, unless his driving style/trips/milage is sufficient to keep the DPF clear.

Hovercraft Mode seems to be something T6 and T6.1 vehicles do. Not so the T5/5.1
The OP has a T5 180 so is unlikely to experience such an indication, until the EML light comes on due to a sooted up DPF, unless his driving style/trips/milage is sufficient to keep the DPF clear.
Agreed WG,
and if the orange light comes on, an Italian tune up does clear the DPF: high revs (after warm) for about 20 minutes followed by use of heavy engine breaking, which literally pushes the burnt off carbon out of the DPF.

that’s progress with the T6 I suppose :headbang

Agreed WG,
and if the orange light comes on, an Italian tune up does clear the DPF: high revs (after warm) for about 20 minutes followed by use of heavy engine breaking, which literally pushes the burnt off carbon out of the DPF.

that’s progress with the T6 I suppose :headbang
Agree, but I would think it would be better never to see the EML light for that particular reason.

Sorry. For some reason (which I now can't see), I thought we were on T6 with its Active regeneration!

When on the motorway run put the DSG in Manual and select a gear to give about 2,500 rpm and then put cruise on. Leave it for about 20 mins (if possible). 5th gear if memory serves when I tried it.

That's pretty much what the Carista regen mode says to do only difference wit a Carista is that you can watch the soot % go down and know when it has cleared to minimum level.

Carista shows the details which will vary between engines .
@WelshGas, with my CARISTA and phone App I get this image below, which shows a current soot level of 11.7 grams, but I cannot find any explanation of max and min levels, only the statement that ‘regeneration is not normally necessary at these soot levels’. I am probably missing something but so far I have been unable to find from the App what the soot level is when freshly regenerated (0 grams?) and what it is at the point you get a yellow warning. It would be nice to know this range of soot levels.

1685269750278.png

Last edited:
@WelshGas, with my CARISTA and phone App I get this image below, which shows a current soot level of 11.7 grams, but I cannot find any explanation of max and min levels, only the statement that ‘regeneration is not normally necessary at these soot levels’. I am probably missing something but so far I have been unable to find from the App what the soot level is when freshly regenerated (0 grams?) and what it is at the point you get a yellow warning. It would be nice to know this range of soot levels.

View attachment 109088
I did a trial run and went down to 8% as a minimum level.
I think 21% or above is the figure needing a regeneration run Carista advice.

View attachment 109088
See Post 4

See Post 4

Thanks, @WelshGas, you are an encyclopaedia - and generous with your knowledge too.

So in simple terms, for approximate Carista reviews:

- Older engines (pre update(s) around 2019/20) might be 5-6 grams (i.e. min) after regeneration and up to 24 grams (i.e. max) before;

- Newer or 'updated' engines (after the above dates) are closer to 9 grams (min) and and 30 grams (max).

The above being ball-park figures because doubtless there are variations for the several T6 & T6.1 engines.

No, you don’t need too. Just drive it as normal.
Diesel engines are designed to be 'used' and as such enjoy jaunts such as long periods of motorway driving, if you think of it, the Cali is based on a commercial vehicle which is used well, often clocking 100's of thousands of miles in their lifetime. The introduction of the DPF (diesel particulate filter) reinforced this use case too with garages routinely having to deal with blocked filters.. clogged due to short local journeys. Long journeys are also better for emissions systems too as the engine reaches correct operating temperatures, becoming more efficient and less polluting also the exhaust system runs hotter, loosing damp / burning off condensation and staving off corrosion. Long journeys are also better for the transmission as the gearbox isn't in continuous use (up and down the gears), brakes are used less, etc, etc.

Hope this helps?

Best regards

On my T5 180, I've never seen the EML come on. My van journeys are very rarely less than 20 miles and often quite long motorway hacks. Obvs a sample of just one vehicle but maybe tends to confirm the long vs short trips hypothesis. (Or that my EML light bulb is broken.)

When on the motorway run put the DSG in Manual and select a gear to give about 2,500 rpm and then put cruise on. Leave it for about 20 mins (if possible). 5th gear if memory serves when I tried it.

That's pretty much what the Carista regen mode says to do only difference wit a Carista is that you can watch the soot % go down and know when it has cleared to minimum level.
I’ll give that a go. Many thanks.

Back