Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's happened again! Engine refuses to start! GRRR!

Outanbout

Outanbout

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Dear all, your combined help is required.

Very frustratingly, the camper refused to start again yesterday (4 times in 3 months this has happened). What is going on???
It's been checked out by the AA each time (just about to call them out again), and all appears fine with the less than a year old starter battery.
It's been on a number of outings recently, ranging from 20-60 miles.
Due to the hot weather, we have had the AC on.
It's NOT doing the "engine auto shut off" due to AC being on, so, therefore, no unnecessary battery draining.
It's NOT stood around for more than a week during the past 3 months.
The auto sliding door was used quite a number of times yesterday for loading purposes, but WITHOUT the engine running.
The roof has NOT been raised for a couple of months.
I run the lighting on AUTO.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly received.

Chris.

Very frustratingly, the camper refused to start again yesterday (4 times in 3 months this has happened). What is going on???
It's been checked out by the AA each time (just about to call them out again), and all appears fine with the less than a year old starter battery.
It's NOT doing the "engine auto shut off" due to AC being on, so, therefore, no unnecessary battery draining.
The auto sliding door was used quite a number of times yesterday for loading purposes, but WITHOUT the engine running.

Chris.
This probably >-
"The auto sliding door was used quite a number of times yesterday for loading purposes, but WITHOUT the engine running."
have you taken a meter reading from the battery this morning?
Is the engine turning over at all, or are all the relays just clicking and nothing happening?
or none of the above?
If none of the above might be related to the immobiliser.

Chris.

@Outanbout , if this has happened many times, two things
a) it will require a logical approach to troubleshoot and
b) may require some time.

... so be ready for both.

On the logical approach,
1. continue using the van normally - knowing that you have AA support available.
2. as it is only a starting problem, to save time, get a small portable jump starter battery. At least you can then start the vehicle and continue with your activities. You will not be stranded. (Halfords sell NOCO battery jump packs which are very good).
3. I would monitor the battery voltage. If possible get a bluetooth monitor (search for BM2 battery monitor) so that you are able to monitor voltage in between/before/after activities such as starting, driving, after reaching destination. Before and after using the doors etc. It may give you a clue on what may be draining the battery. For all you know the battery may not be charging properly.

Keep a note of date time and voltage in a spreadsheet along with the activity and that should give you an idea of where you need to explore more.

Roof, lights, AC etc should not have a big drain on the battery. It is something else.

kurienp, many thanks for the quick reply. It is really appreciated.​

One thing I should have mentioned in the original post, is that I did turn the fridge on approx 12 hrs before setting off / starting the engine.
It was all nice and cool and left running despite not being able to start the engine.
Just checked the fridge and noticed that its switched itself off.
Could leaving the fridge running drain the starter battery?

Thanks again.

Chris.

kurienp, many thanks for the quick reply. It is really appreciated.​

One thing I should have mentioned in the original post, is that I did turn the fridge on approx 12 hrs before setting off / starting the engine.
It was all nice and cool and left running despite not being able to start the engine.
Just checked the fridge and noticed that its switched itself off.
Could leaving the fridge running drain the starter battery?

Thanks again.

Chris.

@Outanbout Chris, the fridge uses the leisure battery - so no, it cannot drain your engine battery.

EDIT: so now you may have an issue with the leisure batteries as well.

If problem with both batteries, then could it point to an issue with the alternator circuit? I would also check - the charging voltage to the batteries - both leisure and starter with the engine running

Chris.

Are you 100% sure all interior lights are going off when van is locked? including the one under the bed & those inside the cupboards.
Have you got anything plugged into any 12v outlets - USB adapters, dash cam etc?

kurienp. thanks again for your help.​

The AA are arriving shortly, so will ask them to check it all out.
Likely, it'll have to go in for sorting.

Chris.

I keep one of this type adapters to plug into the front dash socket just to check engine battery level.
Mine usually gives a low voltage warning a shows 11.8V before starting. Instant display charging level once started.

Thank you all for your inputs.
Great support from club members.

Still awaiting AA and will report back on their findings.

Take care all.

Chris.

Back